Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toying with the idea of a 6 month deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sireno

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Toying with the idea of a 6 month deal. Reply with quote

I came back a little more than a month ago after a 2 year stint and am possibly going to apply to graduate school that would start in September here in the states. I am thinking I might try and come to Korea for ~6 months. If I begin my FBI check now perhaps I could get a job starting in February or March? Work for 6'ish months and come back to start school in September. I doubt I will find any 6 month contracts so rather just take a normal year long one and bail when I need to come back to the states. Any thoughts? Any experiences?
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds deceitful, immoral, and rather selfish. But, it just might work Wink
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing stopping you from doing that. Just give them 30 days notice

before you leave and there's nothing wrong with it.

You will however be setting yourself up for not getting your last pay,

so??
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 6-month deals out there. Not as many as 1 year deals but there are some.

I would say that signing a 1 year deal with no intention of finishing it AND not telling your employer about it is pretty unprofessional and low.

You can sign a 1 year deal and when the time comes, quit with proper notice. You can expect that if this comes before your 6 month mark that your contract may have an airfare reimbursement clause (meaning you could be required to payback the airfare).

Also not that pulling a runner after 6 months puts your co-workers out and leaves them holding your bag of crap.
ArgentineDreams

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sireno, i was actually almost in your same spot, i came knowing i would quit after 6 months, i ended up contacting my grad school and asking to defer a semester, which they let me, so i am finishing up my contract in Seoul now and about to start grad school a month after i finish, so try talking to your grad school admissions
Sireno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thanks for the ideas. Yeah I wouldn't want to create problems for everyone else around me. I'll figure out what my plans are soon.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at China's openings. Their school year finishes in July and there'll be plenty of openings to start at the beginning of March and only run 5 months.
Sireno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought I have to consider is the idea of receiving tax back from the government as I am a US citizen. Without completing a contract should I still be able to receive the tax money?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sireno wrote:
Another thought I have to consider is the idea of receiving tax back from the government as I am a US citizen. Without completing a contract should I still be able to receive the tax money?

Unless you are working at a public school / public university you don't get the tax holiday (you owe taxes based on your income).

If you have worked for more than 2 years in Korea you aren't entitled to it either (see line above).

You only get back any tax overpayment you may have made AFTER you file your tax return for the year (just like back home).

If you are a registered foreigner (get an ARC) you are not entitled to the VAT (sales tax) rebate that tourists get.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: