Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Titus's open letter to the Queen of England
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kuros



Joined: 27 Apr 2004

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Titus's open letter to the Queen of England Reply with quote

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2956850/posts

Quote:
Your Majesty,

We, the people of the former American colonies, would like to offer our most sincere apology over that little misunderstanding we had 236 years ago. Had we known that we were going to be subjects anyway, we could have saved a lot of trouble and hard feelings.

We were under the mistaken belief that we would be free, sovereign citizens; we believed that our hard work would yield its own rewards without someone coming along and taking what we built in the name of “Fairness”. We thought our laws and Constitution would protect us from a foreign born dictator, and our freedom to worship would prevent us from becoming a corrupt, morally bankrupt society (silly us).

Little did we know that our own free press would intentionally sabotage, deceive and withhold the truth from us in order to reelect a Socialist that still holds distain for our nation and contempt for its founding principles. Nor did we believe that there would be so many citizens dependent on government handouts that they would blindly elect an unqualified charlatan, let alone reelect him.

Anyway, Your Grace, we are truly sorry and humbly sincerely beg your forgiveness. If you can find it in your heart to forgive us and take us back, we promise never to trade British oppression for Socialist tyranny again.

Your most humble servants,

The American People
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
On the other hand



Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Location: I walk along the avenue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's reasonable to expect that Republicans would have preferred for Obama to be defeated. But the dominant trends of right-wing Obama-hatred are really beyond all logic.

Quote:
a foreign born dictator


At this point, the idea that Obama is foreign-born has to be regarded as something believed as a matter of religious faith, as there is nothing more that he could do to prove he was born in the USA.

Orwell wrote that, when fervent nationalists re-write history, they're not just engaged in simple lying, they're writing what they believe to be true "in the sight of God". That's what seems to be going on with birtherism(and anti-Obamaism in general). "Of course Obama is a Kenyan. He just HAS to be. Otherwise, my whole worldview would come collapsing down around me".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
At this point, the idea that Obama is foreign-born has to be regarded as something believed as a matter of religious faith, as there is nothing more that he could do to prove he was born in the USA.

Actually, Obama has done nothing to prove he was born in the US. His birth certificate (which can be downloaded from the White House website) was inadmissible at best, and a blatant fraud at worst.

If anything, I would say that the idea that Obama is US-born has to be "regarded as something believed as a matter of religious faith". The people who doubt it are just exercising a healthy level of skepticism. Indeed, I was not even skeptical about it myself until after I saw the flawed birth certificate he released (after that it was pretty much impossible to ignore).

Quote:
"Of course Obama is a Kenyan. He just HAS to be. Otherwise, my whole worldview would come collapsing down around me".

"Of course Obama was born in the US. He just HAS to be. Otherwise, my whole worldview would come collapsing down around me".

-----

As for the letter Kuros posted - I think it is great. Satire is effective. It is a good reminder of the fact that big government is not an inevitability as so many people like to think. If it were inevitable, we never would have succeeded in 1776. The founding fathers were right, but unlike them we have just gotten lazy and acquiesced to tyranny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unposter



Joined: 04 Jun 2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is well-written and funny! Though, I honestly cannot tell if he is making fun of Titus or supporting him. Maybe, both as much good satire does.

The part that I don't like (everyone is a critic, sorry) is that England is actually considerably more socialist than America and has had problems with its media as well, especially with Robert Murdoch and Fox News. Cameron, England's center-right, Prime Minister, has already shown distate to Romney.

A rational conservative would be quite relieved to know that America severed ties with socialist England a long time ago. The health care system alone, much less the welfare system, would scare the beejeesus out of any reasonably minded conservative.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirius black



Joined: 04 Jun 2010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
It's reasonable to expect that Republicans would have preferred for Obama to be defeated. But the dominant trends of right-wing Obama-hatred are really beyond all logic.

Quote:
a foreign born dictator




So, I assume you base the over the top Obama hatred solely on the fact they think he is foreign born? Just asking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titus



Joined: 19 May 2012

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83550.html?hp=t1_3

^ Is this really preferable to Monarchy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GENO123



Joined: 28 Jan 2010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
It's reasonable to expect that Republicans would have preferred for Obama to be defeated. But the dominant trends of right-wing Obama-hatred are really beyond all logic.

Quote:
a foreign born dictator


At this point, the idea that Obama is foreign-born has to be regarded as something believed as a matter of religious faith, as there is nothing more that he could do to prove he was born in the USA.

Orwell wrote that, when fervent nationalists re-write history, they're not just engaged in simple lying, they're writing what they believe to be true "in the sight of God". That's what seems to be going on with birtherism(and anti-Obamaism in general). "Of course Obama is a Kenyan. He just HAS to be. Otherwise, my whole worldview would come collapsing down around me".


Neither political party has been above cheap shots and slander when they were out of power.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
newb



Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the letter is humorous.

I don't hate Obama as a person, but I hate his ideology, behavior, and what he has accomplished over past 4 years (including killing 4 brave Americans in Libya).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rollo



Joined: 10 May 2006
Location: China

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did he kill them, rifle, knife or I know Kenyan blow gun. Tell me how. Using the bodies of the dead to score poltical points , very low class
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:

Actually, Obama has done nothing to prove he was born in the US. His birth certificate (which can be downloaded from the White House website) was inadmissible at best, and a blatant fraud at worst.




And you say this because you are an expert in document forgery, right?


Rolling Eyes

Why does no one with any credibility support your claim?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
visitorq wrote:

Actually, Obama has done nothing to prove he was born in the US. His birth certificate (which can be downloaded from the White House website) was inadmissible at best, and a blatant fraud at worst.




And you say this because you are an expert in document forgery, right?


Rolling Eyes

Why does no one with any credibility support your claim?

Oh please. Rather than questioning my credentials (obviously I'm not an expert) stop being so lazy and go download the document to see for yourself.

If all you ever do is believe the "experts" without actually investing anything for yourself first hand then you are shmuck. Period.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titus



Joined: 19 May 2012

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wrote a letter to the Queen it sure wouldn't be the English one. Maybe Prince Harry - he seems to have a spark in his spirit. That bodyguard is his pop, no?

Nor would I whine about a socialist or foreign etc. I'll happily accept a foreign leader and a nationalist y socialist platform.

No, I'd ask for a few billion dollars to buy some media and push the line:

All men are not created equal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unposter



Joined: 04 Jun 2006

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another misguided American who thought that somehow if America had been a more "Anglo" nation, things would be better: Not!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/kristen-neel-anti-obama-australia-tweet-backlash_n_2093160.html

Girl tweets it would be better to live in Australia only to find out that the Prime Minister there is an Atheist, living in sin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirius black



Joined: 04 Jun 2010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
visitorq wrote:

Actually, Obama has done nothing to prove he was born in the US. His birth certificate (which can be downloaded from the White House website) was inadmissible at best, and a blatant fraud at worst.




And you say this because you are an expert in document forgery, right?


Rolling Eyes

Why does no one with any credibility support your claim?


+10 points to Gryffindor

None of us are experts on forgeries. Arm chair experts have been saying its fake.

Other than Trump (and his credibility is completely) shot, no one of note. The Republicans haven't touched and its not because they are scared of the backlash, the leadership hasn't touched it because there isn't anyting to it.

Don't think for one second they haven't researched the possibility. A Hillary Clinton supporter originally brought it up. She didn't touch it and I'm sure she checked into it. I'm sure the McCain campaign did as well as all those millionaire and even billionaire supporters like the Koch brothers with all their resources.

Its just ludicrous to hold on to it really. When his enemies can't find anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirius black wrote:
everything-is-everything wrote:
visitorq wrote:

Actually, Obama has done nothing to prove he was born in the US. His birth certificate (which can be downloaded from the White House website) was inadmissible at best, and a blatant fraud at worst.




And you say this because you are an expert in document forgery, right?


Rolling Eyes

Why does no one with any credibility support your claim?


+10 points to Gryffindor

What are you, 10 years old? That's about the 12th time I've seen you post this on here. Get a new line already...

Quote:
None of us are experts on forgeries. Arm chair experts have been saying its fake.


Quote:
Other than Trump (and his credibility is completely) shot, no one of note. The Republicans haven't touched and its not because they are scared of the backlash, the leadership hasn't touched it because there isn't anyting to it.

Don't think for one second they haven't researched the possibility. A Hillary Clinton supporter originally brought it up. She didn't touch it and I'm sure she checked into it. I'm sure the McCain campaign did as well as all those millionaire and even billionaire supporters like the Koch brothers with all their resources.

Its just ludicrous to hold on to it really. When his enemies can't find anything.

Another person who's too lazy to go download it for himself and see that it has been digitally altered (it's right there, as plain as your face, you don't need "experts" to point this out). At best it is inadmissible as evidence (since it's clearly been tampered with, either accidentally or otherwise) and at worst it is a complete forgery (i.e. has been tampered with deliberately).

You people remind of someone sitting around trying to debate whether or not the mail has been delivered to your mailbox today. You obsess over trying to deduce the fact indirectly, looking through the encyclopedia etc. to try and glean information on the postal system (i.e. to see what the "experts" have to say on the matter). It would never occur to you to simply step outside for a moment and check the damn thing for yourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International