Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is beef so expensive here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EZE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
Hanwoo tastes like crap. The chicken here is good, though.

I don't eat beef, is Han-woo the name of the cow? The pork here is good, though.

The chicken isn't bad either; it isn't artificially pumped up like back home. Never seen lamb being sold here, for shame.

/threadjack

There are shops near the mosque that sell lamb.
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
JustinC wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

I don't eat beef, is Han-woo the name of the cow? The pork here is good, though.

The chicken isn't bad either; it isn't artificially pumped up like back home. Never seen lamb being sold here, for shame.

/threadjack

I've not seen or heard any mosques in Korea. I'm a bit curious as to why only Muslims in Korea would eat lamb, surely a bit of fatty lamb would go nicely with some kimchi, wrapped in lettuce? Not that I've tried it, or any lamb in K-Land.
EZE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was meaning the mosque in Itaewon. I don't know if there are others. I bought lamb near there a few times when I lived in Seoul, and I've also ordered it in Middle Eastern restaurants in Itaewon.

My Korean co-worker and Korean boss both say they don't like lamb. My boss says she doesn't like Greek restaurants for that reason, and my co-worker says she doesn't like the smell of lamb meat.
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
tiddles wrote:
cdninkorea wrote:
Harpeau wrote:
I'll eat Aussie grass-fed beef before I eat the grain-fed crap-shot beef from Korea or the U$A. BTW, is anyone aware of any U$A grass-fed beef that hasn't been shot with bovine growth hormones~being soild here in Korea? Thanks in advance.

Where in Korea are you buying grass-fed beef?

this. where?

Going to go out on a limb and say most if not all Australian beef is grass-fed.

Quote:
In contrast to breeding systems in other parts of the world, Australian cattle are reared on pasture as the principal source of feed.

Wiki Link

The Australian beef sold in Costco is advertised as grain fed.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've not seen or heard any mosques in Korea. I'm a bit curious as to why only Muslims in Korea would eat lamb, surely a bit of fatty lamb would go nicely with some kimchi, wrapped in lettuce? Not that I've tried it, or any lamb in K-Land.

Although lamb isn't as popular as pork or beef in Korea there are still lamb restaurants out there. There are two within 10 minutes walk of my apartment and I don't live in Seoul. Lamb is very expensive so it remains out of reach for the majority to eat on a regular basis. My friend from NZ was also complaining about the lamb restaurants throwing away the provided mint sauce and instead insisting on serving the lamb with red pepper paste, a bowl of salt, and kimchi. The restaurant owner had to ask my friend what the mint sauce, which came with the lamb, was.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
I was meaning the mosque in Itaewon. I don't know if there are others. I bought lamb near there a few times when I lived in Seoul, and I've also ordered it in Middle Eastern restaurants in Itaewon.

My Korean co-worker and Korean boss both say they don't like lamb. My boss says she doesn't like Greek restaurants for that reason, and my co-worker says she doesn't like the smell of lamb meat.

It's the only one in Korea.

http://www.visitseoul.net/en/article/article.do?_method=view&m=0004003002027&p=03&art_id=46422&lang=en

There are some good shops around it for spices.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
EZE wrote:

It's the only one in Korea.

http://www.visitseoul.net/en/article/article.do?_method=view&m=0004003002027&p=03&art_id=46422&lang=en

There are some good shops around it for spices.

Do they have some guy screaming from the tower 5 times a day?
JustinC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:

I've not seen (or heard) that mosque, it wouldn't need to advertise its presence (being the only one) so maybe it doesn't give shout outs.

Funnily enough I was in a new (to me) curry place last night that had lamb on the menu, but they were out of stock Rolling Eyes

The owner was a devout Muslim (he was praying on a mat) and the other customers all greeted him with 'salam alaykum' when they came in. The lamb was only slightly more expensive than the chicken.
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
EZE wrote:
JustinC wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

/threadjack

I've been told Koreans don't like the smell. It's kind of a BS excuse not to eat lamb, I think it's more like the reason many Americans don't eat lamb, they simply haven't been exposed to it. I grilled up some lamb chops for my Korean in-laws from the shops in Itaewon. Long story short, they swallowed those lamb chops like they contained the antidote.
lemak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Koreans don't eat lamb thing is a bunch of crap. Sure these days it's not common, but historically it was a standard type of meat on the peninsula.
I remember reading somewhere once (will look for the link later) that there were loads of sheep for human consumption prior to the Korean war, but since most of the farms were located in Gangwon-do and subject to the front line in the war moving repeatedly over the top of them they were quickly wiped out.
If I remember correctly the last of the sheep were sacrificed as a thank you gift for the Turkish UN contingent as part of an Id-Ul-Adha celebration.
Like I said I'd have to find the exact link to verify, but it was something along these lines.
Lamb still is readily available, but mostly catering for the Muslim expats. Most of the Asia Marts sell it, claiming "Lamb" in English, but elsewhere on the packaging labelling it as "Kambing", which is actually goat. Either way it's some delicious shit.
The lamb kebabs at the Samarkand Uzbek restaurant at Ansan Station are unbelievably good. Literally melt in your mouth.
Thumbs up also to the Turkish guys at Star Kebab Songtan and their various lamb kofta and kebabs. Amazing!
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Carolla wrote:
JustinC wrote:
EZE wrote:
JustinC wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

/threadjack

I've been told Koreans don't like the smell. It's kind of a BS excuse not to eat lamb, I think it's more like the reason many Americans don't eat lamb, they simply haven't been exposed to it. I grilled up some lamb chops for my Korean in-laws from the shops in Itaewon. Long story short, they swallowed those lamb chops like they contained the antidote.

I can believe it's due to the smell. That's why many Americans don't like it. My grandmother ate lamb chops on a regular basis but my mother never cooked them due to the smell.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I was in Busan with a bunch of Koreans to catch a Lotte game, afterwards we went out for BBQ lamb, they made it a mission to find the place too. But I do agree that there is a significant number out there that dislike it or have no interest in it, much like turkey. There are many that don't like it or care, but there are also many who have a taste for it.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="atwoodThe Australian beef sold in Costco is advertised as grain fed.[/quote]

Actually, much of the AUS frozen beef is grass fed. Ask them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpeau wrote:
[quote="atwoodThe Australian beef sold in Costco is advertised as grain fed.

Actually, much of the AUS frozen beef is grass fed. Ask them.[/quote]
So the stickers on all the packages of meat saying grain fed are false advertising? What's the point?
Harpeau

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Harpeau wrote:
[quote="atwoodThe Australian beef sold in Costco is advertised as grain fed.

Actually, much of the AUS frozen beef is grass fed. Ask them.

So the stickers on all the packages of meat saying grain fed are false advertising? What's the point?[/quote]

I'm talking about the FROZEN beef in the Freezer. They are not marked grain fed.
BTW, why do Koreans have such a hard on for grain fed beef?!! It's horrible for the human body!! Cows eat grass!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: