Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One month solo vacation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: One month solo vacation Reply with quote

Planning a full month in March, zone out in nature, do absolutely nothing aside from daydreaming and writing music.

* Ocean and beach is good
* Peaceful nature place is good
* A lack of people is good, especially a lack of loud idiots
* Low prices, undeveloped country is good

I've thought about Pho Quoc Vietnam. There are "huts" on the beach apparently for $25 USD / day.

Any experience with this location or ideas on a silimar destination would be appreciated.
lemak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Togian Islands in Indonesia?

If you can stomach the couple of days it takes to get there.

Flight plus bus or rented car and driver plus another boat

http://wikitravel.org/en/Togian_Islands

https://www.google.com/search?q=togian+islands&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=AtC&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HQiRULKFO6rs2QWK9oGIAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1366&bih=665&sei=GgmRUMivOs7q2wXIgYGIBA

I haven't been there in about 10 years, so you'd have to do more research about how much things have changed, but I doubt it's become too overcrowded or spoiled due to the inaccessibility. Stunning place anyhow.
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are thousands upon thousands of islands which have even more thousands of villages and towns and beaches and even more thousands of places to stay in. A holiday for a month means you have enough time so you could fly to the other side of the world, or stay in this hemisphere and island hop.
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Nha Trang. You can be by the beach for rooms as low as 11 bucks a night plus nightlife. Prices are really low there.

The mood there is relaxed and there is a growing expat community there. Check out Guava, a bar and grill there with great and cheap food.
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
I recommend Nha Trang. You can be by the beach for rooms as low as 11 bucks a night plus nightlife. Prices are really low there.

The mood there is relaxed and there is a growing expat community there. Check out Guava, a bar and grill there with great and cheap food.

I was considering, till I came across this-

Nha Trang by night: Warnings Confirmed: Having spent several months, in early 2012, in Nha Trang, I can confirm, that by night, this is not the best place for tourists- especially men. The taxi mafia (particularly motorbike taxi), is a genuine problem. From experience, they will occasionally try to force the sale of women onto you. A simple taxi ride can turn into a problem. At night, some will purposely drop you off near a larger group of other motorbike taxi drivers, and then, ask for a much higher fare: any sign of resistance by you, the customer, can turn ugly fast. Strangely enough, having spent two months in Nha Trang, I honestly cannot recall seeing a single police car (or bike). Police is virtually unseen in the city. Certainly, by day, the city has plenty of charm, most people are very friendly, and I genuinely miss the place. However, by night, Nha Trang, really is a city I'd stay away from (it is far more hostile, than many other cities sometimes associated with danger at night (like Bangkok, Saigon, Pattaya, Patong, etc). Having spent many winters at most of Asia's tourist-laden cities, I'd rank Nha Trang (by night) as the most unsafe.

and

The beach is the main draw here. The sand is quite littered and the water can also be polluted, so if you are going to Nha Trang specifically for the beach, and have been to other Asian destinations such as Thailand and the Philippines you are likely to be very disappointed. You will see many women vendors walking along the beach selling fruit and hot, steamed seafood.

Make sure that you visit in the right season, though. The beach can be disappointing when the weather is grey and the waves choppy. The experience is then one of murky sandy waters, a strip of standard brown sand with a multitude of empty beach chairs and no one to be seen.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Nha_Trang
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make around $150,000 a year, but you're looking for a $25/night hut to stay in, KimchiNinja? Alright...

Regardless, I'd go somewhere in the Philippines.
fezmond

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:

I second Guava. Was about 6 years ago but an awesome place
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: One month solo vacation Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:

I've thought about Pho Quoc Vietnam. There are "huts" on the beach apparently for $25 USD / day.

Backpackers really like Vietnam. In fact they are shifting away from Khao San road in Bangkok to other areas.

Are you a Backpacker? Because I've heard that Vietnam may be interesting but it is not so pleasant of a place.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
You make around $150,000 a year, but you're looking for a $25/night hut to stay in, KimchiNinja? Alright...

I agreed. My wife and I only make little more than half of what you do and we would rarely spend only $25 a night for a place. You must have some extreme saving goals. We usually travel 3 to 4 weeks a year and budget about 75 a night for accommodations. We still save a decent amount even with our spending habits.
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:

I agreed. My wife and I only make little more than half of what you do and we would rarely spend only $25 a night for a place. You must have some extreme saving goals. We usually travel 3 to 4 weeks a year and budget about 75 a night for accommodations. We still save a decent amount even with our spending habits.

He stated his exact salary on another thread as being over 12,000 US a month...and wants advice on backpacker huts... Laughing
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Dave Chance, I also read that section on Wikitravel about Nha Trang, and I consider it BS. I've been to Nha Trang twice this year and have had NO safety problems whatsoever.

As for the beach, it depends on the time you go. Sometimes the water turns brown and such but that shouldn't deter you from going.

But hey, I guess it's like Americans who decide not to go to South Korea because of the 2010 Cheonan sinking or something. Rolling Eyes
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
To Dave Chance, I also read that section on Wikitravel about Nha Trang, and I consider it BS. I've been to Nha Trang twice this year and have had NO safety problems whatsoever.

As for the beach, it depends on the time you go. Sometimes the water turns brown and such but that shouldn't deter you from going.

Alright, good to hear a counter view to Wiki.

The guy must have it out for Nha Trang to have written that, he made it sound like a den of thieves.

On the other hand talked to someone last week who said getting cornered by a group of locals for cash in Vietnam if you're a backpacker isn't uncommon when outside of Hanoi or Saigon.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saigon is thick with thieves, a friend and I were stopped by a goon and two girls in Nha Trang who promptly started feeling us up. It was about 2am and we were drunk but I remembered reading online about this tactic to part you from your wallet, so I shouted out to keep his hand on his wallet. The three of them immediately understood they should find another mark and left.

That was early '07, I returned last summer and everything was way more expensive. I spent a day in the Vinpearl Resort which was fun. Seems Vietnamese now go there for their holidays.

In Vietnam I'd recommend Sapa and Hoi An.
TravelinSig

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuangtha beach in Burma. Few foreigners. Incredibly safe. and reasonably cheap. Very quiet.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:

Yes

That's how the people with money became the people with money, if they were the people who like to spend money they would be the people with debt. But that's not why I do what I do, I like natural, rough, real people, adventure. The Hyatt ain't no adventure. Also... shut up. Thanks.

Thanks for the other who came up with cool ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: