Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Respect for the President
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Unposter



Joined: 04 Jun 2006

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Respect for the President Reply with quote

One of the problems with the Romney Campaign is their own hyperbole against the President.

This is an interesting opinion piece:

Obama's Critics Repudiated at Last by LZ Granderson:


(CNN) -- "Take our country back."

Almost as soon as Barack Obama became president four years ago, we began hearing that phrase, as if black folks had stolen the White House. Each time I see one of those "Take Our Country Back" signs on someone's lawn, I want to knock on the door and ask, "from whom?"

From whom are you trying to take this country back?

But I don't, because I already know the answer.

It's the same answer to the question of why so many people still don't believe that President Obama was born in the United States. Or why they continue to question his faith or why Donald Trump feels comfortable insulting the office by promising his pocket change in exchange for Obama's college transcripts, as if the president is a stripper desperate for singles.

He and his kind are so pathetic.

They don't just disagree with him. They disrespect him, because in their minds, he's not supposed to be there. He got a handout. He's not a real American. Something about him ain't ... quite ... right.

So when he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, his critics spent more time discrediting the importance of the award than congratulating him for winning it.

When unemployment fell under 8%, they accused the Obama administration of fixing the numbers.

When the president opted to campaign instead of surveying the damage caused by Hurricane Isaac sooner, he was called selfish. When Obama left the campaign trail to survey the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy, former FEMA Director Michael Brown criticized him for responding too quickly.

Nothing he did was good enough for them.

But on Tuesday, it was good enough for the majority of real Americans.

We watched then-congressman Pete Hoekstra call the stimulus package a failure and then show up for a groundbreaking ceremony for a manufacturing plant made possible by the stimulus. We saw Texas Gov. Rick Perry call the stimulus a waste during debates while quietly using stimulus money to balance his state's budget. Rep. Paul Ryan, the supposed numbers man of the Republican Party, repeatedly called the stimulus a wasteful spending spree, and then we found out he wrote letters asking for stimulus money in his district (PDF), because according to him, it would "stimulate the local and area economy by creating new jobs."

It was hard for real Americans to take criticism of the Recovery Act seriously when those doing the criticizing were busy talking out of both sides of their anti-Obama mouths.

And that's exactly what we've watched for much of four years: the president's critics being more focused on making him look like a failure than on helping the country succeed.

Some call it politics.

I call it unpatriotic.

Either way, despite the disrespect and the disregard and the attempts to suppress votes or intimidate voters, despite the misguided cry of "take our country back," Obama was re-elected because the majority of the American people saw the truth.

You remember when Ryan stood up in front of nation during the Republican National Convention and blamed the president for a plant closing in Janesville, Wisconsin? Yeah, turns out the closure was planned before Obama even took office. The people in Janesville knew the truth, which is probably why more than 60% of the county it's in voted for Obama.

There is no need to take this country back, because it hasn't gone anywhere ... except forward ... toward a more perfect union where the "All-American look" is getting a little bit harder to define. That may make a lot of people uncomfortable, but personal discomfort isn't a good enough reason to slight 25 consecutive months of job growth, resurgent house prices and corporations seeing record profit. Every president since Theodore Roosevelt has talked about reforming health care, and Obama is the one who got it done -- yet his critics say he's done nothing since he's been in office.

Now, of course, there is still a lot of work ahead. We have a deficit to address, a fiscal cliff that is threatening millions of jobs and a GDP that is limping. And the administration is going to make mistakes. Every administration does.

But now that this election is finally over, maybe more Republicans will be willing to take a page from the book of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and give Obama some credit for the things he's done right. We can still challenge the president's ideas without asking for his papers or spitting on our highest office.

When I think about where this country was four years ago -- with us losing hundreds of thousands of jobs a month, engulfed in two wars and disliked by many of our allies -- I believe Obama has done a lot that's right.

And from the looks of his resounding re-election, the majority of real Americans feel the same way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unposter



Joined: 04 Jun 2006

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I should have added that I posted the editorial because it reminded me of VisitorQ and all his birther claims. Of course, it is also as much about how the Republicans and the Conservative media have lied about and twisted everything that Obama has said and done rather than try to govern, but you still have to wonder about all these "birthers."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geldedgoat



Joined: 05 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Respect for the President Reply with quote

Unposter wrote:
Almost as soon as Barack Obama became president four years ago, we began hearing that phrase, as if black folks had stolen the White House.


I stopped right there. Race-baiting at its finest.

If you can't see the majesty of Obama, it must be because of those bedsheet parties you love to attend. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucheon bum



Joined: 16 Jan 2003
Location: DC area

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of respect for the president, here is a good example.

Quote:
A Turlock woman who posted inflammatory comments on Facebook about President Barack Obama has been fired from her job and reported to the U.S. Secret Service.
Turlock resident Denise Helms, 22, posted shortly after the president's re-election Tuesday on her Facebook page, "And another 4 years of the (n-----). Maybe he will get assassinated this term..!!"


I recommend watching the news clips at the bottom too. She's a real winner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Respect for the President Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Unposter wrote:
Almost as soon as Barack Obama became president four years ago, we began hearing that phrase, as if black folks had stolen the White House.


I stopped right there. Race-baiting at its finest.

If you can't see the majesty of Obama, it must be because of those bedsheet parties you love to attend. Rolling Eyes



So what do you think "take our country back" implied?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirius black



Joined: 04 Jun 2010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed the respect for the office by elected officials and some in the media went out the window with Obama.

The worst of the Bush years as bad he was, was the Dixie Chicks saying in a London concert that they were ashamed to be from the same state as Bush. That created a furor.

I wasn't a fan of Bush but I didn't like what the Dixie Chicks did. They had the right but I thought it was wrong to do that overseas at a concert. You show respect for the office. In the military they say you respect the rank not the person when you salute. Its the same with the President. You respect the office even if you don't like or respect the person.

However, with Obama, it was much worse, never before, unprecedented disrespect. Arizona governor pointing her finger in his face. Minor elected officials saying all kinds of things.

One of the commanding generals in the middle east wars disrespecting the President and had to leave.

Our own military members plotting an overthrow of the government. Ann Coulter saying he was 'shucking and jiving', other racially tinged rhetoric.

Congressman calling out liar at the state of the union address. This kind of stuff was unheard of prior. No other President in modern history, even Nixon, was disrespected like that.

Wonder why its different with Obama?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave Chance



Joined: 30 May 2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter if Jesus won, the position lost its clout when Kennedy was gunned down.

Libya, now Syria, drones in Pakistan/Afghanistn, the AIG bail-out, all under his watch, regardless of whether he wanted these things to go down or not.

Better than Romney, but don't really get the sense that he's going to really be able to turn things around...hope he proves me wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unibrow



Joined: 20 Aug 2012

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is his real birth certificate? The one they gave us was fake and clearly photoshopped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
Where is his real birth certificate? The one they gave us was fake and clearly photoshopped.



Listen man, your posts are getting old and predicable. It's gotten to the point where your trolling has evolved from annoying to just plane boring.


So either buzz of and contribute to the conversation or at least come up with some troll worthy response that you haven't tried before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Respect for the President Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Unposter wrote:
Almost as soon as Barack Obama became president four years ago, we began hearing that phrase, as if black folks had stolen the White House.


I stopped right there. Race-baiting at its finest.

Yep, me too. Pathetic excuse for an article imo. Some people just can't see beyond race. It's nothing more than projecting, and has no bearing on reality. I criticize Obama all the time for being un-American, because that's what his policies are. I could not care less about his race (though for what it's worth he actually comes off as being more white than black to me, and he is half-white after all)...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
Where is his real birth certificate? The one they gave us was fake and clearly photoshopped.

What you say is true and bears repeating. None of Obama's defenders on here has yet to properly address this glaring point (they are not even willing to consider it). All you get is dismissal from them, and a smug self-righteous attitude that you would dare to point out the obvious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
recessiontime



Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Location: Got avatar privileges nyahahaha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Respect for the President Reply with quote

Unposter wrote:
"Take Our Country Back" signs on someone's lawn, I want to knock on the door and ask, "from whom?"

From whom are you trying to take this country back?

But I don't, because I already know the answer.


The article writer can seemingly read the minds of people it seems.

Quote:
Donald Trump feels comfortable insulting the office by promising his pocket change in exchange for Obama's college transcripts, as if the president is a stripper desperate for singles.

He and his kind are so pathetic.

They don't just disagree with him. They disrespect him, because in their minds, he's not supposed to be there. He got a handout. He's not a real American. Something about him ain't ... quite ... right.

So when he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, his critics spent more time discrediting the importance of the award than congratulating him for winning it.


Pocket change? He offered millions of dollars just to show his college transcripts.

If anything I resent him for being a legacy admit into the most prestigious school on the planet.

Nobody with a brain thinks Obama is deserving of that Nobel peace prize. And if he was it goes to show that Nobel prizes have become devalued political tools rather than representative of actual merit.

Quote:

When unemployment fell under 8%, they accused the Obama administration of fixing the numbers.

When the president opted to campaign instead of surveying the damage caused by Hurricane Isaac sooner, he was called selfish. When Obama left the campaign trail to survey the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy, former FEMA Director Michael Brown criticized him for responding too quickly.

Nothing he did was good enough for them.

But on Tuesday, it was good enough for the majority of real Americans.


The government DOES fix the numbers, please get over it. Obama is not special in this regard.

Quote:

We watched then-congressman Pete Hoekstra call the stimulus package a failure and then show up for a groundbreaking ceremony for a manufacturing plant made possible by the stimulus. We saw Texas Gov. Rick Perry call the stimulus a waste during debates while quietly using stimulus money to balance his state's budget. Rep. Paul Ryan, the supposed numbers man of the Republican Party, repeatedly called the stimulus a wasteful spending spree, and then we found out he wrote letters asking for stimulus money in his district (PDF), because according to him, it would "stimulate the local and area economy by creating new jobs."


It IS a colossal waste of money. Not only is it socialism for the rich but the stimulus equals inflation. The stimulus doesn't cause inflation, it IS inflation.

Propping up failed institutions? When was the last time regular people like you or I got a bail out from tax payer money? I don't see the government giving loans to small private business owners. You or I do not get any loans to pay off student loans if we can't find a job with our worthless degrees.

How in the world do people get tricked into falsely believing a "stimulus" can be helpful? It's true that if you keep repeating a lie idiots will believe it regardless of whether it is true or not.


Quote:

Either way, despite the disrespect and the disregard and the attempts to suppress votes or intimidate voters, despite the misguided cry of "take our country back," Obama was re-elected because the majority of the American people saw the truth.


No, it's because Obama and his party are the shinier of two turds. The American people never had a choice to begin with. This entire article is garbage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
recessiontime



Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Location: Got avatar privileges nyahahaha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
Unibrow wrote:
Where is his real birth certificate? The one they gave us was fake and clearly photoshopped.

What you say is true and bears repeating. None of Obama's defenders on here has yet to properly address this glaring point (they are not even willing to consider it). All you get is dismissal from them, and a smug self-righteous attitude that you would dare to point out the obvious.


I personally haven't looked and remain agnostic about it. I don't really care either way though, a sock puppet is a sock puppet. Does it really matter if a sock puppet is foreign born?

I applaud the fact that Obama actually gave us something to look at though. I'm STILL waiting on the evidence they actually killed Osama bin laden though....remember that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rollo



Joined: 10 May 2006
Location: China

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes and saddens me that normal respect for the office is gone. When Christie in new jersey did nothing more than give the proper respect and deference to the office he was boiled alive by the media. it's part of the dumbing down. The issues are now confabulated by the press. Tabloid journalism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox



Joined: 04 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Respect for the President Reply with quote

Unposter wrote:

So when he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, his critics spent more time discrediting the importance of the award than congratulating him for winning it.


Barack Obama deserves precisely zero congratulations for "winning" the Nobel Peace Prize, and his receipt of it really did to some extent mandate the discrediting of its importance. I'm not saying there isn't something of a point to the article at large (though it's packaged in a combination of distasteful whining, exaggeration, and some degree of false accusation; plenty of people who want to "take their country back" want to take it back from financial-sector capture, for instance), but it's very hard to see anyone who thinks Barack Obama deserved congratulations for winning the Nobel Peace Prize as serious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International