Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No pay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newteacher10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: No pay Reply with quote

Basically where I am working we have been pretty tolerant and everyone has gotten along. This is our first payday since we got here, and we have actually run very low on money so we were looking forward to it. Unfortunately we have checked and our accounts are still empty. This would be a few days later than when we should be paid (Contract says the 10th, which was Sat, so could possibly be Friday but decided to be Monday instead). What do you think is the best option to approach management and deal with this?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: No pay Reply with quote

newteacher10 wrote:
Basically where I am working we have been pretty tolerant and everyone has gotten along. This is our first payday since we got here, and we have actually run very low on money so we were looking forward to it. Unfortunately we have checked and our accounts are still empty. This would be a few days later than when we should be paid (Contract says the 10th, which was Sat, so could possibly be Friday but decided to be Monday instead). What do you think is the best option to approach management and deal with this?

Ask to get paid. Don't just wait for it.

If they get to 14 days late then file a complaint with the labor board ( http://www.moel.go.kr ).

If it happens a 2nd time, quit (it won't get any better).

s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me and led to me quitting at my school.

1) ask when you will be paid. be polite, smile when you ask, and apologize - but you are running low and need to be paid on your payday.

2) If they tell you that they will pay you at some future date, make plans to leave. A lot of hagwons are struggling to make ends meet right now and you might be at a struggling school.

3) If they pay you right away - like, go on their computer and make a transfer right away - then it's probably just human error. I've had that happen before, also.

4) if it happens again, with any regularity, make plans to leave your job. Order your CBC from wherever, apostille it according to your country's guidelines, and in the meantime see about a letter of release (which people here can help you with).
Rowdy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: No pay Reply with quote

Is this common? In Saudi, the issue is when they feel like paying. It's never more than a few days but it's all Insha'Allāh ( When Allah is willing).
YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No pay Reply with quote

Rowdy wrote:
Is this common? In Saudi, the issue is when they feel like paying. It's never more than a few days but it's all Insha'Allāh ( When Allah is willing).

The typical pattern is for them to pay on time for the first few months. Then, they play around with it. The worse the school is, the longer they will wait to pay, making you wait or complain. It makes you look bad because you are the one trying to get your money.

If it is a good school, then you just remind them a couple times at worst, and it will go into your bank account.
ontheway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No pay Reply with quote

newteacher10 wrote:

Some schools pay on the next business day if your pay date falls on a weekend or holiday, some will pay on the business day prior to the weekend or holiday. Hopefully the OP got paid today and it was just that.

However, if you didn't get paid today, you should ask immediately on Tuesday, nicely and politely as there could be some error or oversight or reasonable explanation. Don't wait. If you go more than a few days you will need to consider all advice here and make a plan of action, including looking for your next job.
newteacher10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: We did get paid...but a partial payment. Essentially us and the management staff are on the same page and are still awaiting our full pay and not accepting half of the money the owner gave us. We have started to threaten action if something dosent happen right away.
newb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newteacher10 wrote:
Update: We did get paid...but a partial payment. Essentially us and the management staff are on the same page and are still awaiting our full pay and not accepting half of the money the owner gave us. We have started to threaten action if something dosent happen right away.

It's time to move on.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order your paperwork, wait for it to arrive, and in the meantime start proceedings with the labor board. Once things start, you'll be able to switch to a D10 visa which will allow you to switch jobs without leaving the country. You don't need that job, and that job can't afford you.

Where in the country are you?
newteacher10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well im glad I have my 2nd copy of papers that are still good just for this reason or anything else.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well im glad I have my 2nd copy of papers that are still good just for this reason or anything else.

Good for you, thinking ahead! I keep telling people to always have a current CBC & transcripts handy but do they listen? NOOOOOOO.

You might not need them - you've got the opportunity to switch to D10 - but leave the job anyway.

1) any evaluations you have, take them when you leave.
2) photocopy any evidence - notes in books or things like that - that you work there
3) go to immi and get a copy of your original signed contract
4) Update your bank account passbook information, showing that you have not been paid
5) Go to the labor board and file a complaint. I found it helpful to write out a short letter basically describing that my director had not paid me, and I would like to make a complaint. They took it very seriously, spoke some basic English, and I was able to do what I needed to without bothering a Korean friend.

* if you're liable for paying your director your flight money, then get her to fire you by taking her to the labor board

** If you can, try writing a letter to your boss saying that you cannot burden her with your salary any longer and you would like to be released from your contract. They may just give you a release letter, in exchange for you working an extra few weeks. Whether they pay you for that time willingly or unwillingly, they still have to pay you.

*** you are NEVER liable to pay recruiting fees. The recruiter is a gamble that your director makes, and any clause in your contract regarding recruiter fees is void.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only been one day. Give them a week to pay in full. If any future pay is more than a week overdue, then the situation is worsening and definitely dump them. If they don't pay the full amount in a week I would be concerned enough to pursue getting another job. Although I would start looking at other jobs now because in Korean Hagwons I think this tends to be an indicator of shifty owners trying to get as much money as possible at your expense.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's only been one day. Give them a week to pay in full. If any future pay is more than a week overdue, then the situation is worsening and definitely dump them. If they don't pay the full amount in a week I would be concerned enough to pursue getting another job. Although I would start looking at other jobs now because in Korean Hagwons I think this tends to be an indicator of shifty owners trying to get as much money as possible at your expense.

If they're not paying you on your payday, in full, then the school can't afford you. Period. Move on.
newteacher10

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Basically we have been searching for new jobs here. Were going to get up for ARC card this week and stick around until we get one, all while talking to recruiters and schools to get new positions. During all of this time we discussed with our managers about our position on leaving (not being too certain and not turning in a notice yet) and asked about a letter of release. Their thoughts is that the owner will most likely not give one to us, so we are now trying to figure out what to do. One of the managers did mention they can prove our leave from a school but what should we do if we are unable to get a LoR?
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This would be a few days later than when we should be paid (Contract says the 10th, which was Sat

My guideline is to try to get it on the 5th or earlier, giving 5 more days if they really need it. If there is a 14 month rule before filing a claim, then you have given them 1 month and 24 days of labor without getting paid.

If this is really your first month, then I wonder how you know to be so concerned. Was this perhaps not the school you wanted to work at and are hoping to "bank on" (no pun intended) the possibility you can find another school?

If the school isn't paying all staff, then I doubt you will need a letter of reference. If they are simply late, then whoever stays will get the money and whoever leaves will have a harder time I believe. Not that it is impossible, and probably we have it better than the natives.

I wouldn't talk to management, they aren't the ones with the money. They only hold the whip to keep you in order. If they are told they will get paid by punishing you, then well, guess what they are going to do? They can "bank on" you (no pun intended again) just as much as you can do it to this opportunity.

I suggest waiting a few days, and then whoever has the best relationship with the owner should go in and find out exactly what the situation is. Skip over management, go straight to the horse's mouth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: