Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apply directly through GEPIK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paladin Brewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Apply directly through GEPIK? Reply with quote

Greets,

I have taught in Korea for a year with GEPIK, came home, and now going back. I just talked to TeachAway on the phone and they told me since I want to teach with GEPIK again I have to apply directly with them, since I am already in their system. Is this true or no?
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a real hard time believing that. They have GEPIK schools that want to hire teachers through them, but they don't want to chance it with you? Why not? Are they afraid you pulled a runner?

Did you ask about hagwon jobs? Are they willing to find you a hagwon job? If not, chances are something came up. Did you complete the year? Would your previous school be able to recommend you to a new school? Not that it is necessary, but I feel something else caused concern or it was a simple miscommunication issue.

Maybe they have hagwon jobs and they are simply trying to make getting a GEPIK job harder so you will take a hagwon job.
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Apply directly through GEPIK? Reply with quote

Paladin Brewer wrote:
Greets,

I have taught in Korea for a year with GEPIK, came home, and now going back. I just talked to TeachAway on the phone and they told me since I want to teach with GEPIK again I have to apply directly with them, since I am already in their system. Is this true or no?

I did the same and I can assure you this is not the case.

There is some extra paperwork though (references must be school stamped and you will need a confirmation of employment from the school you worked at). This despite being already in the system.

Is the Feb. GEPIK intake closed? You might want to take their advice. Fill out an app, send in your documents, and hope that something opens up last minute.
Paladin Brewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lady on the phone for TeachAway (Emily) told me that since I specifically wanted a GEPIK job I had to apply directly through GEPIK since I was in their system. I could apply through TeachAway for a hagwon job yes, but I didn't want that. And I assume perhaps EPIK as well but I didn't ask since I want to be in the Gyeonggi area. Just seemed strange to me, perhaps I will go back to my old recruiter.

I think I need to get a new background check though, this one "expires" Dec 4th if they are super picky about the "last 6 months" rule.
isitts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEPIK doesn't hire directly. Individual schools in Gyeonggi-do can, but even they tend to use recruiters to do the legwork.

Find a different recruiter. ...Though, it is possible you're applying late. Try contacting Korvia and ask them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: