Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poly Salary Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they don't allow you to sit down at any time when you teach.
newb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:

Students don't allow you to sit down? Shocked
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_fella1 wrote:
I'm shocked, 6 years ago Poly in Suwon was paying 2.8 for 5 days a week.

I think I'd look at China, you would pull about 15k RMB a month.

Just make sure you can send that money home. I read something recently that your employment contract might have a clause regarding how much you can send home every month from China. (US Embassy website.)
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

Students don't allow you to sit down? Shocked

Administration.
dluna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Poly Salary Question Reply with quote

staygold wrote:
2.3 million working 2 to 10pm M~F and 1 to 4 on Saturdays is way too low for a Poly school, right? I know that the 9 to 7 jobs pay about 2.8 or so, but I'm not sure how much an afternoon position with Saturdays should pay. Is 2.5 alright, or do you think I should negotiate for more?

I have a 120 hour TESOL certificate and my major had nothing to do with English or education, so I'm a little hesitant to ask. This is my first teaching job as well. Thanks!

I asked for a higher wage, and I never heard back from them again. So handle with caution. I thought 2.3 was low too, so I asked for more, and got the cold shoulder.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Poly Salary Question Reply with quote

dluna wrote:
I asked for a higher wage, and I never heard back from them again. So handle with caution. I thought 2.3 was low too, so I asked for more, and got the cold shoulder.

That was also for Poly?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Poly Salary Question Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
dluna wrote:

That was also for Poly?

These arrogant employers are going to have a wake up call when the recession ends and there's a shortage of teachers in Korea again. Payback will be a b#@$%^! Watch those hagie owners squirm.... Aye Carumba!!
staygold

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got another offer (edit).

Edit: School location removed, but it's still in an expensive area.

The hours are 2:30-10:30 on M-F and 10:30-4:30 on Saturdays. I'm supposed to teach 5 to 7 classes on weekdays and 3 classes on Saturdays. The pay is 2.5 million.

I was originally told Saturdays would be from 1:30 to 4:30, so I was OK with the pay. They added 3 more hours, so I asked my recruiter if I could negotiate. She said she'd try for 2.6, but no guarantees.

I think I'm getting low-balled partly because I'm a gyopo. I see 6 workday jobs that pay a LOT higher. Any opinions? Thanks again.

Last edited by staygold on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
isitts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staygold wrote:
...I see 6 workday jobs that pay a LOT higher. Any opinions? Thanks again.

Then I would try those schools. Though...2.5 is not bad, times being what they are. But for Saturday work...no. Only having one day off is gonna burn you out.

I wouldn't necessarily attribute the offers you've received to you being a gyopo. It's an employers market. All salaries have been driven down. You're not going to have much room to negotiate for higher pay.

Anyway, good luck!
staygold

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
staygold wrote:
...I see 6 workday jobs that pay a LOT higher. Any opinions? Thanks again.

Then I would try those schools. Though...2.5 is not bad, times being what they are. But for Saturday work...no. Only having one day off is gonna burn you out.

I wouldn't necessarily attribute the offers you've received to you being a gyopo. It's an employers market. All salaries have been driven down. You're not going to have much room to negotiate for higher pay.

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks. It was just a bit of a hunch since I've seen the job posting updated, and now they want a non-F4 teacher who can work M-F for 2.5 million. (They were looking for two teachers and I filled up one of the spots). Shocked

I also looked into those other high paying jobs, but they don't provide airfare, health, or pension. I guess that's the trade-off.
ruunie641

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently work a Poly school at the moment. Just a word of advice, don't work at ANY Poly School. The money may seem great ( I'm getting 2.5 million for working MWF 9:40-7:25 and T/Th 9:40-5) but for the amount of work you have to put in, limited break time, hardly any prep time, and large amounts of grading you have to do on paper and online its NOT WORTH IT.

I am actually quitting my job at Poly because I can't handle the long hours and the management at my campus is a joke. My vice director emotional and verbally abusive Korean American who will make life hell for you if you question anything he says or refuse to accept his inappropriate behaviour.

Be prepared for tiger moms to peer through your classroom door windows, hover in the hallways, and watch the CCTV video of your class in the lobby of the school. The directors watch the CCTV footage like a hawk, forget about sitting down in class, or God Forbid a student puts their head down in class or book is not opened on the table because the director will call you out on stupid things like that.

Get ready to be treated like a customer service rep at Poly School because thats all you'll ever feel like. Money first, teaching second, personal wellbeing--- thats non existent.
Porksta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruunie641 wrote:
I currently work a Poly school at the moment. Just a word of advice, don't work at ANY Poly School. The money may seem great ( I'm getting 2.5 million for working MWF 9:40-7:25 and T/Th 9:40-5) but for the amount of work you have to put in, limited break time, hardly any prep time, and large amounts of grading you have to do on paper and online its NOT WORTH IT.

I am actually quitting my job at Poly because I can't handle the long hours and the management at my campus is a joke. My vice director emotional and verbally abusive Korean American who will make life hell for you if you question anything he says or refuse to accept his inappropriate behaviour.

Be prepared for tiger moms to peer through your classroom door windows, hover in the hallways, and watch the CCTV video of your class in the lobby of the school. The directors watch the CCTV footage like a hawk, forget about sitting down in class, or God Forbid a student puts their head down in class or book is not opened on the table because the director will call you out on stupid things like that.

Get ready to be treated like a customer service rep at Poly School because thats all you'll ever feel like. Money first, teaching second, personal wellbeing--- thats non existent.

Your Poly school must be drastically different than mine. My director makes sure to remind us that we aren't there to teach the kids - we are there to immerse them in English. The only CCTV is in the hallways and we can sit down while teaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: