Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reeking of Desperation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gforce645

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reeking of Desperation Reply with quote

A short article from The Korean Times:

Bibimbap is being advertised in Times Square in New York once again.

Well-known Korean publicist Seo Kyoung-duk, professor of Seoul-based Sungshin Women�s University, and a team from an MBC entertainment show began to advertise bibimbap, a popular Korean dish made of steamed rice mixed with meat, fresh vegetables and hot sauce, in a 60-second video on a Times Square screen starting Tuesday.

The commercial visualizes the taste of bibimbap by using traditional Korean songs and dances, and the martial art taekwondo.

It is a remake of a 30-second bibimbap spot advertised in 2010. This time, the footage will be flashed twice an hour for a total of 1,500 times a month from Tuesday.

�Bibimbap has been advertised every year through a full-page ad on the New York Times, a spot commercial on a Times Square screen or street posters in New York,� Seo said. �The latest ad is an extension of such efforts to promote the Korean dish.�

So far, Seo has advertised Dokdo islets, the East Sea and the Korean song of �Arirang� in Times Square as well as bibimbap.

Do any other countries do this? Are any other countries this desperate for international attention? I can imagine the exasperation of the people behind these campaigns. "Everything in Korea is the best, why doesnt the rest of the world know this?"

Heres the link so you can see the link so you can see the ultra cheesy pictures of the ad/video. Not sure if that will be effective in gritty New York City.

nwww.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20121107000952
highstreet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically a tourism advertisement. Why are you so mad? I see tourism billboards for Tokyo, Malaysia, Singapore, etc, all over the place.
gforce645

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not mad at all but such things like ads for bibimbab, Dokdo, East Sea, and Arirang are not tourism campaigns. They are more like awareness campaigns that borderline propaganda. I'm teaching tourism now to my students and theyre baffled as why they cant use images of kimchi, Kim Yuna, and Samsung on their project posters.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still confused as to why this irks you so.
mnjetter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that it's a tourism advertisement. I saw a special on this on Arirang TV, and it was basically a bunch of plucky Korean young folks traveling various countries (including Times Square) and serving up samples of bibimbap. The attitude of the TV show was very much "Let's enlighten the world about the health, economy, and taste benefits of this important and unique national dish of Korea". It included dramatic scenes in which the Koreans were perplexed because people didn't like the spiciness, or because they were going to run out of ingredients, but they persevered, and in the end, the dish was a fantastic success at some food festival at NYU. Everyone loves Korea, the end.

I find it a touch irritating. All of the unique and exotic foods here in Korea, and the best they can come up with to show off their culinary genius to the world is vegetables and meat on rice? Like every other country has not come up with some version of that in the past? Bibimbap is delicious, but it's hardly innovative.

They should be advertising dwenjjang. That stuff kicks miso's ass, and has actual health benefits.
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were going to try and promote Korea as a tourist destination you'd be thinking on a longer time scale than just one campaign. This is more of a 'raising awareness' thing, and it's healthy and the flavors aren't too strong so would be easier for Koreans to offer.

Anything to promote foreign cultures as normal and having benefits must be a good thing, like this clip for example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAY9CNkKOsg
Fox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibimbap is such a silly dish to attempt to pass off as iconic. Give a five year old some rice and some side dishes, and he will probably produce bibimbap purely by accident. It's the finger-painting of cooking. Korea has better to offer.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Give a five year old some rice and some side dishes, and he will probably produce bibimbap purely by accident.

This wasn't how it was invented?
PaperTiger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biminbap with a fried egg on top with fresh greens and sprouts is a good lunch...dunno why anyone would truck all the way over to Korea for it. Easy enough to make.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Fox wrote:
Give a five year old some rice and some side dishes, and he will probably produce bibimbap purely by accident.

This wasn't how it was invented?

lulz. I don't understand why they have to fixate on freaking bibimbap. Korean food has much more to offer than that. Why not choose a dish that tastes better and takes actual skill to make?

Quote:
They should be advertising dwenjjang. That stuff kicks miso's ass, and has actual health benefits.

Sounds like a good way to turn people away from Korea.
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess we're onto what better options Korea has to offer...
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off of the top of my head, I would have used Kimchi Jiggae instead of Bibimbop. Bibimbop just is not really that good. Although Dusit Bibimbop can be quite tasty and is a little unique.
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Korea aggressively promotes some of their worst things. Food and music here are pretty bad, but their films are actually very good. Still, I meet adults who haven't seen some of the best Korean films (like Oldboy or The Good, The Bad and the Weird) because they're 'old'

I don't like bibimbab. It's tasteless without a lot of added sauce, and the red sauce to mix in isn't actually very nice. It would be better to use a completely difference sauce. Maybe something Indian, Chinese or Thai
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibimbap gets the attention because Michael Jackson apparently loved it.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's an evil plot to take over the world using the tempting allure of bibimbop? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: