Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cockroaches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adventurer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Cockroaches Reply with quote

Anyone else have a cockroach problem here? I've lived in Korea before and in different places and never had a problem until I moved into my Jutaek, and it was a minor problem compared to last year. I constantly have the trash outside and take it out, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm not going to live in this Jutaek again. I complained to the landlord, but nothing happened. It's less of a problem now that winter is here, but they still appear. The place is old, and it seems mosquitoes seem to still get in. I suspect it's a pretty old place because I have to duck slightly when I go into the bathroom.

I'm moving to a big apartment building next time or some place that is not a jutaek.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cockroaches Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:
Anyone else have a cockroach problem here? I've lived in Korea before and in different places and never had a problem until I moved into my Jutaek, and it was a minor problem compared to last year. I constantly have the trash outside and take it out, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm not going to live in this Jutaek again. I complained to the landlord, but nothing happened. It's less of a problem now that winter is here, but they still appear. The place is old, and it seems mosquitoes seem to still get in. I suspect it's a pretty old place because I have to duck slightly when I go into the bathroom.

I'm moving to a big apartment building next time or some place that is not a jutaek.

They're really hard to get rid of. Thing is, Korean supermarkets don't sell "the good stuff" that kills them off. I don't know the name of it, but it's this Korean-made brown goo. It's amazing. Kills them in about two weeks, but you have to get it from the Pharmacy oddly enough.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the house a good cleaning followed by some RAID roach bombs. You will have to cover dishes or wash them after. Try to find where they come in. Put down the brown goo after bombing. Keep the place clean. If you have neighbors in the same building, you should all bomb the same day or it is useless.
PaperTiger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good simple solution is twofold:
1. Clean your apartment more (if you don't already).
2. Mix a fluoride toothpaste with water and spray in the effected areas.

The fluoride works like a charm...it's poison to the little buggers. We live in an old building and some how they tried an invasion. Literally nothing else worked. Toothpaste. Go figure. Swear to dog, works like a charm.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Give the house a good cleaning followed by some RAID roach bombs. You will have to cover dishes or wash them after. Try to find where they come in. Put down the brown goo after bombing. Keep the place clean. If you have neighbors in the same building, you should all bomb the same day or it is useless.

Raid in Korea is WORSE THE USELESS. If even one of them survives, their offspring *will be* immune.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cockroaches Reply with quote

jdog2050 wrote:
Adventurer wrote:

They're really hard to get rid of. Thing is, Korean supermarkets don't sell "the good stuff" that kills them off. I don't know the name of it, but it's this Korean-made brown goo. It's amazing. Kills them in about two weeks, but you have to get it from the Pharmacy oddly enough.

What's this brown stuff? I know borax does the stuff. I can't go to a pharmacy and say "Give me brown stuff", y'know? I have heard Borax helps.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem, but I was able to take care of it by *not living in* the apartment while I exterminated.

1) Go to the pharmacy and get 붕산. It's boric acid, and it's poison to the bugs. Put it where people don't go: under cabinets, under furniture, on top of the cupboards, etc.

2) Spray raid poison around the full perimeter of each room and into every crack. Behind the cupboard and toilet especially. Do this every two days.

3) Get roach food gel (combat works well - it's the same as that brown goo the people are talking about, comes in a large syringe-like tube). You can buy it at lotte mart in the laundry section (weirdly). Put dollops of this gel in discreet places: windowsills, cupboards, bathroom sink, plants

4) CLEAN YOUR HOUSE. All clutter needs to go - roaches will live off the glue in the wallpaper, you can't eliminate food sources; just make your house as uninhabitable to them as possible.

5) Store your food in those big locking kimchi containers. ALL of the food, minus cans.

6) Don't cook anymore

7) dry out your bathroom and shower as much as humanly possible. I mean, roaches can go over 3 months without food but they need water every day. If you can go three weeks without using water in your house, you can take care of the problem.

Cool seal cracks between you and the neighbor with expanding foam inside, and steel wool in the pipes. Seriously they come in through the pipes.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to what s.tickbeat said above, if you have a tank toilet, put some liquid soap (liquid hand soap, liquid laundry soap, any kind of liquid soap). Regardless of the type of toilet you have (tank, pressure valve flush), also put some liquid soap into the water in the bowl. Every single time you flush the commode, pour more liquid soap into the tank and bowl. Be sure to agitate the water in the tank and bowl with that nifty toilet brush you should have. Do this until the infestation is gone. The little buggers can't breathe when they get soapy water on their hides.

Next: FLUSH THE USED TOILET PAPER! Don't keep that nasty crud there for the critters. Unless you're the Jolly Green Giant and your wad of used paper is the size of your average Matiz each time you dump, there's no reason to not flush it with the rest of the dung.

Also, if you can't leave your trash out for collection every day, then refrigerate or freeze the so-called wet garbage, anything with food remnants. Those little lock pails work great when they're brand-new, but over time they'll warp and the critters can get inside them and, thus, come out for more happy hunting.

Here is some fun (gross?) reading material for you on the Wiki about this particular pest. And a WikiAnswer to the question What do cockroaches eat? Sadly, the things will eat whatever they can find, including feces and each other. Oh, and some of them can go without water for a month!

Last edited by CentralCali on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah dude. What species of roach do you have a problem with? 'cause that shit matters.
pavement burns

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Surefire cockroach solution Reply with quote

Had a slight cockroach problem in Abu Dhabi. Adopted a cat. Didn't see any more cockroaches after that.
Hootsmon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a Jutaek too, in the basement no less, so I used to have a bad roach problem. I found the Raid bug spray to be very effective. I sprayed it around all the edges of the room, where the wall meets the floor and the ceiling, and also into any cracks, gaps or spaces between furniture, cabinets and all that. That really helped slow down the number of beasties coming into my home, including centipedes, of which there were many. Any cockroaches I did see where already dead.

What helped even more were those little roach motel things. Again, I got the raid brand. Since I threw a few of those around the house, I have barely seen any cockroaches, and this was during the summer when they're usually about.

A final option you may want to consider, something I will do at my new place as I plan to move fairly soon, is to get Cesco in. They're the lot that do the restuarant checks and advertise on TV for killing pests. Apparently you can get them to check/clean your home for as little as 80,000. I've not tried it yet, but I definitely will each time I move into a new place from now on.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Cesco guys go in every few weeks to check/trap/spray/etc. They're licensed to use the genetics-altering goo, which is SUPER effective. I never had to use them (again, no one was living in the apartment I was exterminating) but not a bad option.
isitts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cockroaches Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:

Keeping the floors clean is a big one. I had a roach in my apartment a few weeks after arriving last spring. I'd been lazy about cleaning. Since then I clean the floor (swiffer: dry and wet) every week. And the bathroom and kitchen. Just make it inhospitable for them. I haven't seen a roach since.

I like the toilet idea that CentralCali mentioned. Keep your drains cleaned too, with draino or whatever the Korean equivalent is. And don't leave any food crumbs or cardboard lying around.

If it's an old apartment, you may not be able to totally get rid of them, but can at least midigate the problem.

and I think Korea does sell roach motels and Raid. I've used motels for an ant problem in my last place and that worked well.

But I'd say main thing is the floors. Make it so the roaches won't want to walk on your floor.

Good luck!
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, it's an easy solution for me.

Bleach on those bastards and SMASH SMASH SMASH.

Never had a cockroach problem after that.

You just got to let them know who's boss, pilgrim Wink :::cowboy hat:::
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also add that I think having desicators around the place helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: