Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else getting really sick? Korean Flu???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoisite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Anyone else getting really sick? Korean Flu??? Reply with quote

I recently got really sick with what I thought was food poisoning which lasted for two days but followed by chronic nausea and vomiting for 3-4 more days, while suffering from ZERO appetite the whole time.

Went to the doctor twice, got a 2 hour IV drip and felt a bit better but not completely.

When I went to the doctor I noticed other foreigners complaining about the same symptoms... Just wondering if there is something going around.
newb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else getting really sick? Korean Flu??? Reply with quote

Zoisite wrote:
I recently got really sick with what I thought was food poisoning which lasted for two days but followed by chronic nausea and vomiting for 3-4 more days, while suffering from ZERO appetite the whole time.

Went to the doctor twice, got a 2 hour IV drip and felt a bit better but not completely.

When I went to the doctor I noticed other foreigners complaining about the same symptoms... Just wondering if there is something going around.

What did your doctor say?

You didn't mention fever, body ache, or coughing?

Based on my diagnosis, you have a food poisoning. I will prescribe you 3 days of medication. I hope you'll feed better.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't read this advice on any tourism websites, but be careful what you eat, especially from outdoor vendors or restaurants with side dishes. That "bug" has bitten all of us at one point or another.
banjois

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it. It was horrible.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarrhea too?

Sounds like food poisoning. People here are used to much higher bacteria levels than back home due to less enforcement/lack of hygiene rules for restaurants.

See that jokpal that's been sitting there for a few hours? That basket of raw chicken waiting to be deep fried for the whole duration of your meal? Don't need to think much further.
Zoisite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... so it isn't just me, that's a bit freaky.. they didn't have a name for it. I was just worried because I've never had to take so many days off school before.
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that, after eating sushi at a high-end restaurant. I was off my feet for three days, constantly retching for two. Just glad I didn't do any serious muscle or rib damage.

It wasn't in Korea, BTW.
lemak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo85 wrote:
Diarrhea too?

Sounds like food poisoning. People here are used to much higher bacteria levels than back home due to less enforcement/lack of hygiene rules for restaurants.

See that jokpal that's been sitting there for a few hours? That basket of raw chicken waiting to be deep fried for the whole duration of your meal? Don't need to think much further.

Not helped by the fact it's served, touched and belched on by some hideous old cave troll with a perm who hasn't washed her hands since the 1960s.
bucket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had something similar 3 days ago.
24+ hrs of diarrhea with headache and bodyache.
i just made sure i kept plenty of fluid in my system..although it only stayed momentarily. har
pretty sure it wasn't the flu though. i suspect its from kimbap i bought from one of the franchise stores.
banjois

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure whatever I had wasn't food poisoning. Nothing but the usual foods after being here two years. Plus, my girlfriend got it a week after me....
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is stomach flu season now...just sayin...
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjois wrote:
I'm pretty sure whatever I had wasn't food poisoning. Nothing but the usual foods after being here two years. Plus, my girlfriend got it a week after me....

The viruses, bacteria, and parasites that cause gastroenteritis are often food-borne and are considered to be types of food poisoning. They are contagious, so food poisoning from them is contagious. Food poisoning from Salmonella1, Campylobacter2, E.coli3,and norovirus4 are contagious to other people. When you are sick with one of these illnesses, your vomit and feces are full of the organism and can infect other people. These illnesses don't usually show up for at least 24 hours after you've eaten the contaminated food so you might not attribute the illness to the food.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
When you are sick with one of these illnesses, your vomit and feces are full of the organism and can infect other people.

So, lay off the scat stuff for at least a week, folks. Wink
roguefishfood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pretty bad flu right after the chuseok break, that morphed into some kind of sinus infection and a cough that hung around until basically last week... so yeah, something going around I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: