Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloopity Bloop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dropping off the MMA stuff for a while (too time consuming/far from my place) to put on some mass.

Does anyone here have experience with clean bulking/IIFYM? I started up a fairly strict diet for myself a month ago (couscous/brown rice only for carbs, whey + casein, fish oils, protein in tuna/salmon/chicken/lean beef, broccoli/asparagus). However, now that I'll be looking to bulk, I'm sure I can be more flexible with my diet. Looking at you cheat meals! I'm not drinking at all.

Any info would be appreciated. I'm planning on doing a 5-day split with circuits on days 1 and 5. It's gonna be supplemented with some light cardio when I feel like I still have it in me.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, just looked up that IIFYM and tried the calculator - said I need about 3500 calories to maintain myself. Truth is, I've never counted calories. I've just eyeballed my physique, and adjusted accordingly.

Your clean diet sounds yummy though. I'm envious.

One thing that I do for bulking is add oats to my morning/midday shakes. I'm kind of old school though.

Keep us updated as to the steps and progress you make - I'm interested to hear how it's working out for you.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing internet "research" (in words 60% opinion, 39% marketing, 1% research haha), it's been an eye-opener and I'm thinking of doing a 180 of my current routine and just doing compound exercises. Squats, deadlifts, chest/shoulder presses, back rows, pull-ups, bench dips, and push-ups. I could do variations of those for variety, and maybe add in one or two other body part specific exercises for variety such as dummbell chest flys, reverse flys, lat pulldowns, lunges, and front/side raises..ok maybe even throw in a bicep curl or a tricep exercise every once in a while..maybe.

Anyone have an opinion on this? I should also say that I've been trying to weight lift twice a week, alternating running (2-3 times a week), and one day of beginner yoga. I'm still not sure how compatible this is going to be. As for goals, I don't really have one other than to be overall fit and athletic looking, maybe be able to compete in a 5K or 10K run.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
After doing internet "research" (in words 60% opinion, 39% marketing, 1% research haha), it's been an eye-opener and I'm thinking of doing a 180 of my current routine and just doing compound exercises. Squats, deadlifts, chest/shoulder presses, back rows, pull-ups, bench dips, and push-ups. I could do variations of those for variety, and maybe add in one or two other body part specific exercises for variety such as dummbell chest flys, reverse flys, lat pulldowns, lunges, and front/side raises..ok maybe even throw in a bicep curl or a tricep exercise every once in a while..maybe.

Anyone have an opinion on this? I should also say that I've been trying to weight lift twice a week, alternating running (2-3 times a week), and one day of beginner yoga. I'm still not sure how compatible this is going to be. As for goals, I don't really have one other than to be overall fit and athletic looking, maybe be able to compete in a 5K or 10K run.

If you're lifting twice a week, it might be better to focus on compound lifts. You might get differing views on this, but for me assistance work doesn't seem necessary until you're lifting really heavy or you have muscle imbalances/ faulty recruitment patterns. I also think push-ups aren't needed if you're doing bench presses, unless for some reason you want to be good at pushups.

Have you looked at the 5x5 program? That seems like the best one for your schedule.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
silkhighway wrote:

If you're lifting twice a week, it might be better to focus on compound lifts. You might get differing views on this, but for me assistance work doesn't seem necessary until you're lifting really heavy or you have muscle imbalances/ faulty recruitment patterns. I also think push-ups aren't needed if you're doing bench presses, unless for some reason you want to be good at pushups.

Have you looked at the 5x5 program? That seems like the best one for your schedule.

Good question on the push-ups. I do them along with my ab work after a run in a circuit. I do it more out of habit than anything, and because I like doing them..I might reconsider them later or add them into workout routine, but I don't think one day a week doing them will hurt.

I think you're right on the compound lifts which is why I want to entirely focus on them. I really only considered throwing an extra exercise or two to fill up my gym time (that may be a silly reason) and maybe just see how I feel. I might not bother though and was actually leaning away from that. I'll check out the 5x5.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do add an extra exercise, you should add an assistance workout for a lift you feel you're weak at.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:

Yeah, there are a lot of opinions on this... and IMO, it boils down to finding what works for your body. Some of those lifts might be awesome for you, others, not so much. Keep an eye/feel for what is working for you, and consider switching out those that don't for something different.

It sounds so basic, but really I'm just saying that there's no need to be stuck doing something that's not working for you just because it's part of a program/theory.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After taking 3 months off to develop my beer belly, I got back into the game. I saw a program called Smolov Jr. and I've been doing that for the past month. I am close to where I was before I took time off, and so I'm pretty happy. Modified the program because I have ADD when it comes to lifting programs.

Week 1
M - Bench press 6x6 70% 1 rep
W - Bench press 7x5 75% 1 rep
F - Bench press 8x4 80% 1 rep
Sa - Bench press 10x3 85% 1 rep

Week 2 is the same, but add 5 kg to the lift.

Week 3 is the same, but add 10 kg.

Week 4 take a break, then go for 1 rep max on Friday.

I decided to add an extra week so I'm at +15 kg, then going to test my 1 rep next week.

Other exercises I do following bench:

Kroc rows: Every week I increase 1 kg. At 20 kg dumbbells, 1 set of 20 reps.

Face pulls: Every week I bump it up 10 lbs. At 120 lbs on the machine, 1 set of 20 reps.

Bicep blasts (t-nation exercise): Every week I bump it up 1 kg. At 12 kg dumbbells, 3 sets of 18 reps.

Tricep torture (t-nation exercise): Every week I bump it up 1 kg. At 12 kg dumbbells, 3 sets of 18 reps.

I alternate BBs and TTs workout to workout.

Janda crunches (look them up, they kill): 3 sets, each set to failure.

Cat vomit abs (look them up, they also kill): 3 sets of 5 reps.

Chinups: 3 sets, each set to failure.

So far, it's been going great. I'm thinking of starting Smolov to work on my squats again. Probably will start during the last week of Smolov Jr. when I don't do any bench pressing until I go for the 1 rep.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question - when did One Arm Rows start to get called Krok Rows? I've seen this a few times online now. Is there any major difference from a standard one arm dumbbell row?
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Question - when did One Arm Rows start to get called Krok Rows? I've seen this a few times online now. Is there any major difference from a standard one arm dumbbell row?

Not really sure if we're thinking of the same one arm dumbbell row. I used to do rows with my knee on the bench, and I referred to that as the bent over dumbbell row. But the Kroc row that I do now is with both feet on the ground and one hand supporting while I pull the dumbbell from below the chest to as far up as possible. The motion and positioning is completely different from the standard bent over row that I used to do.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... while the elbows seem to be a bit more out, this seems pretty much like a one arm bentover row, IMO.

Perhaps it's not a good example of what you're talking about though.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems similar but the dumbbell is angled differently, and it's hard to see from that video because of the ridiculous amount of weight on that dumbbell, but it starts from below the chest rather than from the side as in regular one arm bent over rows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6T5n79Srpk

That's the style I use. One hand supporting with two feet on the ground.

As opposed to this (ignore the American bs in the beginning):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gOYkpfT9Hc

The motion is completely different and you pull with your entire back rather than mostly just your arms and a part of your back.

Hope this makes sense.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a better vid. Seems to bring the emphasis up top in the back, rather than the mid range the 'traditional' one does.

Will have to give 'em a try next week for back. Thanks.
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's everybody's favorite lift?? What do you think you are naturally gifted at in terms of your lifts??

I always loved deads but I haven't done them in a while. I lift in a gym located on the 2nd floor of a busy building and I'm not sure anybody would appreciate all that noise (and no, I don't slam the weights but it's not easy to set 405+ back on the ground with very little noise!). So...I have basically just cut them out after arrived in Korea.

Have a love-hate relationship with squats. Mostly hate. I've always really enjoyed doing skullcrushers.

As far as what comes "easier" to me I've always seemed to excel more with exercises involving the back. I pulled 400+ within 6 months of lifting but took over 2+ years to rep more than 2 plates on the squat. I'd say I'm just average on the bench, maybe slightly below average. It took me over 1 and a half to rep 2 plates on the bench.

On that note, I recall when I began lifting I always said to myself "as soon as I hit 2 plates on bench I'll be satisfied". I was....for about a day. Funny how lifting warps your mind. You really are never "satisfied."
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty interesting question. I've always had a few lifts that either came easier for me... or ones I pushed through a barrier to get.

Olympic Straight bar curl. I'm curling a 45 a side right now, but my best was a plate and a half a side for 16 reps in the past.

Skull Crushers - Olympic straight bar. I keep my elbows in tight, and love the way a plate+ feels on the bar doing those - just that right amount of balance needed.

Squats - My best was 7 a side for 6 reps... and even after a herniated disk, and 10 years without 'em, I found it quite esy to slip under the bar again this month.

-----------------

As far as "non-favorites"... maybe deadlifts and flat bench. Both I've done for years, and see them work well for others, but they just don't seem to fit my body all that well. My hammies don't like the deads... and it's something I need to work on for that previously mentioned back issue, and my boobies seem to dig flys more. Oh, and military presses - boy do I suck at those. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 9 of 51

Jump to: