Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble with Plane Tickets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Plane Tickets Reply with quote

Some friends and I are going to Vietnam over Christmas. They're already booked up through whypaymore.co.kr but for some reason that option isn't available to me - something to do with not being the right kind of citizen. Anyway, whatever, I decided to book through Skyscanner who sent me to see Asiana.

Now, I should explain my trip takes me from Busan to Hanoi, down through 'Nam and then from Ho Chi Minh back to Busan - a two-part return if you will. However, when I tried to book a one-way ticket to Hanoi, Asiana told me that only return trips were allowed and that I might not be able to board the plane with a one-way ticket.

My friends and I think it's Visa-related, and as long as I have my ticket out of HCMC I should be fine. What do you guys think? Worth a risk? The only alternative is to book through Vietnam Airlines which is a fair bit more expensive and in Vietnamese Dong (so I can't imagine my KEB card will be any use and if it does work, will most likely encumber a charge).
newb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine either way. Even with one way ticket just tell the Vietnam immigration that you're going to Laos or Cambodia by bus.

With regards to KEB card:

1. Check card? If so, you will only be able to make ATM cash withdrawl in local currency (VND).

2. Credit card? If so, you can purchase and with draw cash in USD and local (VND).

* Make sure your card is set up at your bank to be used overseas.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.kayak.com

Asiana has decided it's the high-priced spread and charges accordingly.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carry a printout of your digital itinerary for your flight out of HCMC. I got the same bullshit from my airlines, especially when going from Manilla to Korea without an exit ticket. It took me about 20 minutes to explain at the counter that I LIVE IN KOREA.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just call them, book over the phone and pay at the ATM via a bank transfer.
Problem solved.

mikesaidyes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a foreign card on Vietnam Airlines. BUT, if you buy directly from vietnamairlines.com, you will need to present the credit card at checkin. Weird rule for Asian airlines.

It will just convert the dong to KRW or USD/whatever at the point of purchase.
mikesaidyes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Kayak will show unnecessarily high fares for Korean and Asiana. They pull from what I call the "American" reservation system.

When I looked for Vietnam tickets on Kayak, Korean Air was quoting over 1,000 USD (which is also what you get if you go to KoreanAir.com and say you live in the US). BUT if you go to KoreanAir.com and select Korea as your residence, the price magically dropped to like 700 USD. Weird, but hey, it is what it is.
mikesaidyes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are traveling for Christmas, I just looked at Korean Air and they have a 300,000 RT ticket (before taxes and fees, so let's just say 500,000 RT all inclusive)...without mileage credit. If you want the miles, the cheapest is like 700,000 KRW RT all inclusive.

Go to the korean page...book international ticket. On the left margin you will see "e super saver."

BUT you MUST book by 11/21 and some flights are probably already gone.

You can't book multi city, but if you call them and pay a phone fee, they can set up to Hanoi and back from Ho Chi Min no problem. (Or use a travel agent).

I am a HUGE travel nerd and will gladly help you plan if you want. PM me.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikesaidyes wrote:
If you are traveling for Christmas, I just looked at Korean Air and they have a 300,000 RT ticket (before taxes and fees, so let's just say 500,000 RT all inclusive)...without mileage credit. If you want the miles, the cheapest is like 700,000 KRW RT all inclusive.

Go to the korean page...book international ticket. On the left margin you will see "e super saver."

BUT you MUST book by 11/21 and some flights are probably already gone.

You can't book multi city, but if you call them and pay a phone fee, they can set up to Hanoi and back from Ho Chi Min no problem. (Or use a travel agent).

I am a HUGE travel nerd and will gladly help you plan if you want. PM me.

Thanks for the info. If you're traveling on the right dates, which unfortunately I'm not, this can save you some money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: