Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Process for an international driver's license?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
is so delicious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Process for an international driver's license?! Reply with quote

How bad is it? I'm American and have a valid driver's license from New Hampshire.

I was told I need to exchange it for a Korean license, then get that certified (or something) at the American embassy, then take that back to the Korean DMV in exchange for an international license? Something like that?
giraffe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah something like that.

From What I read you need to an affidivit / guarantee of your american license from your embassy. Take that to the korean DMV and fill out some paperwork and pay. You might have to pay for/ take an Eye test / 20 question theory test ( depends where you're from and I've no clue if your state is exempt from doing the tests or not... I only know a few states that dont have to do the theory tests ). If you pass the tests you "trade" in the license ( "trade" but you can get it back when you go travelling back home or just apply for a new american one and you'll have both licenses). After that just apply for the International license at the korean DMV. The international license will be good for 1 year if you decide to travel/drive abroad...

Good luck.. you're lucky you have a license from back home =). I have to do the korean license from Scratch. I'm 2/3 done the process just need to do the final test.....
rchristo10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just apply for one without doing the exchange. It takes like two days or so. You go in, take a ridiculously easy written exam. Then an on-site car technology exam (they basically ask you to turn on the car, turn it off, put on your left and right blinkers, and then the washers, move the car for a bit forward then get out).

You come back another day, drive in a big circle on the road and they give you a license.

The whole process is about 30,000 won and pretty interesting 'cuz you get to do it with other Koreans. I got lucky and got a woman who was clearly a threat to humans on the road. It was hilarious--even the instructor was scared for dear life. I thought the whole thing was exhilarating, like being on a real life possible death run. It was fun!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Process for an international driver's license?! Reply with quote

is so delicious wrote:
How bad is it? I'm American and have a valid driver's license from New Hampshire.

I was told I need to exchange it for a Korean license, then get that certified (or something) at the American embassy, then take that back to the Korean DMV in exchange for an international license? Something like that?

That process will get your US license exchanged for a Korean one.
(you can pick up your US license when you plan to leave Korea).

AFTER you get the Korean license you can apply for an IDP (International Drivers Permit AKA International License).

FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only need the IDP and do not want to switch your license to Korean:

I just mailed a copy of my CA license, passport size photos, and $15 to AAA in USA. They sent me back the IDP a couple weeks later.

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html
joesp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to recap, the process the OP described originally will get him/her a Korean driver's license, not an international license.

As friendlyDaegu said, you can get the international license but you have to get it in your home country. I heard that you had to get it before you left. Sounds like you can mail your stuff over to your home country while you are in Korea, though, and still get it done, acc. to friendlyDaegu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: