Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has your school turned on the heat yet?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeteacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Has your school turned on the heat yet? Reply with quote

I'm at a public school and they refuse to turn on the heat until it's below freezing. What? Anyone else's school have this policy or is my principal just satan?

I really love living and working here except for the winter months. Every window is open, the pooper is a meat locker and I've got to teach in a coat. I want to throw an S-fit but what can I do? And yes, I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold.

Last edited by joeteacher on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
newb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Has your school turned on the heat yet? Reply with quote

joeteacher wrote:
I'm at a public school and they refuse to turn on the heat until it's below freezing. What? Anyone else's school have this policy or is my principal just satan?

Yes!

I really love living and working here except for the winter months. Every window is open, the pooper is a meat locker and I've got to teach in a coat. I want to throw and S-fit but what can I do? And yes, I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold.

You answered your own question: "to throw and S-fit"
You should continue until they turn on the heat.
joeteacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Has your school turned on the heat yet? Reply with quote

newb wrote:
joeteacher wrote:

Yes!

I really love living and working here except for the winter months. Every window is open, the pooper is a meat locker and I've got to teach in a coat. I want to throw and S-fit but what can I do? And yes, I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold.

You answered your own question: "to throw and S-fit"
You should continue until they turn on the heat.

Ooops, I meant throw a S*&^ fit. Not actually throw my feces. I think that just might get me fired.
Unibrow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school doesn't have heat you're lucky
NQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
My school doesn't have heat you're lucky

Yeah I have heating in my office and in my English classroom, but my co teacher always leaves one window open in either room for "ventilation". It's really annoying, as the draft from the window gets distracting.

The rest of my school has no heating though. The hallways and caf are freezing
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I really am curious about the heating situation in Korea (especially at public schools since I've never worked at one).

Is there one underlying reason why it's such an issue finding a balance between temperatures, or is it a combination of factors?

Is it the cost of electricity and the lack of a budget that provides for that? Is heating seen as a luxury item, not a necessity? Do those that control the mighty AC come from a generation when heat was something they did without, so they aren't used to it and/or prefer to put their pennies elsewhere?

I'm just really quite curious.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In public schools the heater doesn't get turned on until the children are all wearing their North Face parkas and not before. Then it's turned on and set at 30 deg Celcius.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
In public schools the heater doesn't get turned on until the children are all wearing their North Face parkas and not before. Then it's turned on and set at 30 deg Celcius.

Ha ha. Mine has been turned on recently in the teachers room and maybe today in the classrooms. Not really high level, though. Maybe central temperature is set to 20 degrees or so. But it's ok for me. I sit in a small room with other English teachers and brought in an old heater fan I used in the past. The head English teacher loves it and cranks it. She doesn't doesn't care about the schools electric bill. Combined with the schools heater, our teachers room is toasty warm.

If you have to desk warm in a school that won't use heat, this winter, bring in a heater fan to use in your room and crank it.

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-755320-Ceramic-Digital-Display/dp/B000TTV2QS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1352962268&sr=8-11&keywords=fan+heaters

Can find them at High Mart and other places. Worked good in an old crappy one room a few years back that had terrible heating.
Taylormade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has, and they've set it at 'blaring'. The hallways are freezing but the rooms are suffocating. Which means, of course, playing open the window / close the window tag all day with the co-teacher. The weather today was beautiful, no need for blaring heat.
roguefishfood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually 0 degrees Celsius this morning according to our school thermometer at the entrance, and the heat is still not on.

I am sitting here freezing, literally shivering at my desk, and I will still hear someone say let's open the window... "to fresh the air."

Crying or Very sad The air is fresh... Crying or Very sad it's just COLD.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK to wear longjohns, even it's only November. Rule of thumb: frost in the morning, wear longjohns. I'm used to living on sea-level, but now that I'm living 206m up, adjustments had to be made.
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heating went on in the cafeteria a couple weeks ago, no idea why you need to be warm to eat hot food yet cold to sit still at your desk. It's been gradually going on in the classrooms, starting with the youngest kids' rooms and finally is on in the English rooms. Not on in our English teachers' room yet, so I leave a warm classroom where I've been walking and talking constantly to a cold staffroom where I sit at a desk and only my fingers move.

C'est la vie. It could be much worse.
missty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heating has been on in our office for a couple of weeks now, and I've been turning it on in my classroom since Monday. So its only the corridors and toilets that are chilly. My previous school though didn't have any heat in my classroom, and the freezing winter months were awful. Sad
newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if students' parents complain about it.
T-dot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and the heat is killing me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: