Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Martial Arts Sticky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wingchunsoul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Wing Chun Mapo/Gongdeok (Chu Shong Tin Lineage) Reply with quote

[quote="no_tofu_speed"]
My old sifu that taught me Wing Chun. Believed in being a martial artist and not a businessmen selling a service.
7 day a week training, 2 x 2 hour traing sessions a day, and you could always go in earlier or stay later because he lived downstairs.
Unfortunately he passed away...[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your Sifu. And I agree. Thats what I love about my teacher in Hong Kong. So I really want to teach in this way. Currently I run Wing Chun classes in Mapo and from September our new loction will open in Gongdeok. We are planning to offer classes 6 days a week with 3 hour classes but open from around 5-11. Traditional Hong Kong style training as a lot of my training was in Hong Kong (six plus years with training before that in Australia).

For more information check our Korean website:

http://cafe.naver.com/reganwingchun

Or English facebook:
www.facebook.com/wingchunsoul

Feel free to drop in and check us out. Classes are in English and Korean.
Rutherford

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep this thread up to date with what's going on in Busan...

Dong Cheon Baek San BJJ near Kyungsung University has opened a second floor with mats, heavy bags and fitness equipment and are running kickboxing and MMA classes in addition to BJJ.

Also, Team MAD MMA has opened a new gym in Haeundae. It's in across from Emart at Jung-dong station.
juliajohansen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - a friend of mine made a map of the BJJ/MMA in Korea. Right now it's limited to Seoul, but if you have more information to add you can PM me and I can add it.

If you want to add a school, please have an exact address that I can punch in on google maps, and if you have extra info about the school even better.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=2&hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=212829735949346684073.0004c2b2adbce6ae93ae4
DeathPony

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Please help me with my taekwondo PhD survey Reply with quote

Hello Fellow Taekwondo Practitioners,

My name is Craig Rueter and I am currently doing my PhD in Taekwondo at Kyunghee University in Suwon, South Korea. In completion of my PhD I am doing a survey to try and determine what is being taught in taekwondo gyms around the world. I am looking at how country of origin and generation of taekwondo instructor, as well as how potential changes in the instructor's concept of taekwondo affect the curriculum balance in taekwondo gyms.

I would really appreciate if you could take about 15 minutes and fill out the survey.
I have an English version here:
www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1034853/Curriculum-Balance-in-Taekwondo-Gymnasiums
And a Korean version here:
http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1035936/d96c9fef65eb

Thank you very much for your time and interest!
Sincerely,
Craig Rueter
[email protected]

about me: I am a 5th Dan in Taekwondo. I studied under GM Yong Chin Pak at Iowa State University in the USA and I am currently a student of GM Shin Chul Kang in South Korea. I did a master's degree in Taekwondo at Yongin University and am currently doing my PhD at Kyunghee University.
phatzboyal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: muay thai Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a muay thai gym near itaewon? I saw the Body and Seoul website, any reviews of the muay thai lessons there? Websites would also be helpful.
thurst

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i switched judo schools a few months ago due to a job change. i already posted about 윤영발유도 (www.yoonjudo.com), but my new spot is called 동작유도스쿨. they're super chill there and there are a lot more 20-somethings there so it's competitive. it's located next to soongsil university (숭시대).

was anyone else at the seoul cup last weekend? i swear i was the only foreigner in the stadium.
knowhope

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for a Choy Lee Fut school. If not, i would settle for hung gar, Bagua, Xing yi.

I seeking traditional martial art with strong footworks and medium to long ranged strikes. (No Wing Chun).

mkim680

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: baguazhang, hsing yi and tai chi in Seoul Reply with quote

I am currently learning Baguazhang and Hsing Yi from Sifu Ahn Cheol-Kyun. He has a dojo located in Incheon but teaches in Seoul on the weekends. Anyone interested in learning internal martial arts this is a great opportunity.

Sifu Ahn teaches Cheng, Yin, Liang, and Incheon style Bagua Zhang. He also teaches 5 Element 12 Animal Xing Yi from 3 styles Hebei, Sun Zhijun and another. He also teaches Tai Chi and knows Yang, Chen, Hun Yuan, Wu and Oh styles. He also was part of the famous Park Bok Nam San Da team in the late 70's so he can teach that as well. He has had 40+ years of learning and practicing.

His teachers for baguazhang are: Li Mizing (Liang style), Sun Zhi Jun (Cheng style), Yin style (Zhu Bao Zhen) and Lu Shui Tien (Bagua- brought it to Korea from China).

If interested you can contact me by email at: [email protected] or if you can read Korean my teachers websites are:

http://Cafe.daum.net/Jintaiji
http://Cafe.naver.com/pakuajang

thanks,
Mark Kim
BinNa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for escrima classes in Yongin (용인). Can anyone recommend a decent school?
miahn85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: new bjj school Reply with quote

there's a new bjj school that opened up in sindorim, about five minutes walk from the station. the teacher is an absolute beast (purple belt under the head instructor of Team Evolution) and is a judo black belt from Yongin university. The gym teaches both gi and nogi and is open every day. there are a few english speakers there, and the coach has a working knowledge of the language although he usually uses a translator. check out the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/577192692325687/

there's a fair spread of belts, some white, two or three blue belts, and three or four purple belts. there's even a relson gracie brown belt all the way from texas! the instruction is very good and the teacher teaches to your "style", with a great breakdown of each technique. the facebook page has all the times and things listed on it. sorry for the long post!
JC VT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's great BJJ in Sinsa as well - I train at TNT BJJ, which is right in between Sinsa station and Nonhyun station. It's run by a brown belt, Myung Hoon Choi. At class there are usually 1-3 purples, a bunch of blues, and a few white belts. At Monday's class we had 4 English speakers (bilingual) and there's usually at least two: myself (two stripe white) and a purple named Jason.

Prof. Choi received his brown from John Frankl, and ran Professor Frankl's flagship school at Apgujeong for a few years, but parted ways with him about two years ago and started his own gym. He's had his brown for about 5 years and should have his black belt but since he split, doesn't have anyone to promote him. A few Japanese guys visited the gym not long ago and their brown belt and Prof Choi rolled. It wasn't even close.

M-F: 1pm, 6 pm, 8pm, and 10pm.
Sat/Sun: 2:30 - 4/5/6 pm.

The training is very good. Everyone is super friendly and superbly technical. I'm the biggest dude there at 5'11 and 185 lbs and I get smoked by these smaller guys. No aggro rolling, no cranking submissions. Lots of dudes here are very good at open/spider/de la riva guard. We had been training lots of good takedowns but have gone away from that lately to half-guard / terra guard stuff. Lots of rolling. Check us out!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/120688758006714/?fref=ts
deca44

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Muay Thai in Seoul? Reply with quote

Hey, I was wondering if anyone out there has any current information on Muay Thai gyms in Seoul? And if possible around the Sinchon/Hongdae area? From previous posts I saw that Mapo Lion Boxing and a gym near Ahyeon were the best options. Are they still running? If so can anybody post directions? Would really appreciate any information!
dctefl

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Moving to Yongin in a few weeks after a brief stop in Bundang. I know there's an affiliate John Frankl BJJ gym in Bundang, but is there anything going on in Yongin? I know the university has great judo, are there any other clubs for any discipline floating around?

Thnaks.
cdpak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Bujutsu seminar Reply with quote

Hello All,

There will be a two day seminar as follows:

Date : June 8~9, 2013
Instructor : Akuzawa Minoru (Aunkai Method)
Fee : 120,000won per 2 days (4 hours/day)

For more information, please send email to: [email protected]
or check out the website: http://www.aunkai.net/eng/aunkai/index.html
jphill9990

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BinNa wrote:
Looking for escrima classes in Yongin (용인). Can anyone recommend a decent school?

What Martial Arts are in Yongin? I will be moving there in August if all works out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 33 of 35

Jump to: