Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has your school turned on the heat yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanklor1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. If the AC usage this summer was anything to go by, it probably won't be used at all- except, of course, in the principle and VP's rooms. During the summer I turned on the AC twice in the English room, and the second time I was rumbled and it never got used again

So be it. I much prefer the winter to the summer anyway. If I'm really cold I can make coffee and wear more layers.
Taylormade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's worse. Not having the heat turned on, or having it turned on. They go from one temperature extreme to another. And I spend the day playing 'turn down the heat' / 'turn up the heat' tag with my co-teachers.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per usual, my school has already said that they can't turn on the heat because they used the entire budget on AC in the summer. In June they made an announcement that they couldn't turn on the AC because they used all the budget on heat last winter. Last winter they said they couldn't turn on the heat because...and so it goes.

Normally I don't mind the cold so much, but when you're in a building made of cheap concrete and glass with every available window and door open, creating wind tunnels, it does tend to get a bit nippy in here. During the day with classes it's not so bad, but in the afternoons it can get quite bad. Last year we could see our breath in the classroom. I'm going to see about sneaking in an electrical heater this year.

I find the heating situation here similar to the food situation. Back when the country was poor they had to suffer through it/eat fat and bones. Now that they can afford better they can't seem to break their habits. And, with AC, too, if it is on, it's blasting to the point of creating a separate ecosystem.
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My classroom has its own ondol system and a standing oil-fueled heater as well that also serves as an A/C unit, both of which are under my control. I've never been reproached for using these resources as I saw fit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: