Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fat Pride
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnjetter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had a Korean health hobbyist (PhD in biology, hikes as a hobby, and reads health and nutrition journals in his free time) tell me last week that my daily exercise should consist of no more than 45 minutes a day of walking. He said that 45 minutes is very healthy and will help one lose weight, but more than that (or strenuous things like weight lifting, etc.) and you will "want to eat more," which is not good for a diet. Confused

Now, I'm hardly an athlete, but even I know that if I want to see a real change in my health, I need to do actual exercise aimed at increasing my strength, cardiovascular capabilities, and yes, speeding up my metabolism. If I'm a little extra hungry, that should be a good thing, right? From what I know, walking is indeed a healthy form of exercise, but 45 minutes won't accomplish much, and there should be a bit more variety in there as well.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnjetter wrote:
I actually had a Korean health hobbyist (PhD in biology, hikes as a hobby, and reads health and nutrition journals in his free time) tell me last week that my daily exercise should consist of no more than 45 minutes a day of walking. He said that 45 minutes is very healthy and will help one lose weight, but more than that (or strenuous things like weight lifting, etc.) and you will "want to eat more," which is not good for a diet. Confused

Now, I'm hardly an athlete, but even I know that if I want to see a real change in my health, I need to do actual exercise aimed at increasing my strength, cardiovascular capabilities, and yes, speeding up my metabolism. If I'm a little extra hungry, that should be a good thing, right? From what I know, walking is indeed a healthy form of exercise, but 45 minutes won't accomplish much, and there should be a bit more variety in there as well.

Yup, you're right. It's all about increasing your basal metabolism, and you won't be increasing it by walking. You need to add more muscle to your body, which will in turn burn more calories at rest. Might make you more hungry in the short term, but in the long term you'll be burning more calories than if you didn't eat that extra meal and did a pointless 45 minutes of walking.

Another friend who joined the gym with me spends all his time speed walking, like close to an hour. I tell him he's wasting his time, but he insists it's more important to do these long periods of cardio than lifting or sprinting. I show him that I can burn the same amount of calories in my bike sprints in a fraction of the time he spends on the treadmill and it's many times more effective for my basal metabolism. But it's so difficult to argue with some Koreans about these things because a majority of the studies related to exercise are from English speaking countries, so you can't just cite them when most of the Koreans don't understand/can't read the studies for themselves.
Otus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mnjetter wrote:
I actually had a Korean health hobbyist (PhD in biology, hikes as a hobby, and reads health and nutrition journals in his free time) tell me last week that my daily exercise should consist of no more than 45 minutes a day of walking. He said that 45 minutes is very healthy and will help one lose weight, but more than that (or strenuous things like weight lifting, etc.) and you will "want to eat more," which is not good for a diet.

Jyang486 wrote:

Yup, you're right. It's all about increasing your basal metabolism, and you won't be increasing it by walking. You need to add more muscle to your body, which will in turn burn more calories at rest. Might make you more hungry in the short term, but in the long term you'll be burning more calories than if you didn't eat that extra meal and did a pointless 45 minutes of walking.

Another friend who joined the gym with me spends all his time speed walking, like close to an hour. I tell him he's wasting his time, but he insists it's more important to do these long periods of cardio than lifting or sprinting. I show him that I can burn the same amount of calories in my bike sprints in a fraction of the time he spends on the treadmill and it's many times more effective for my basal metabolism. But it's so difficult to argue with some Koreans about these things because a majority of the studies related to exercise are from English speaking countries, so you can't just cite them when most of the Koreans don't understand/can't read the studies for themselves.

Exactly the same for me. You will find yourself in disagreement with some Koreans and I guess others over issues like this. I lost around 40kg in one year and it was intense. When starting out, diet was the most effective thing - cardio exercise and some weight training started to develop more muscle - kept me feeling OK - but it took diet to get rid of fat. Unless you have alot of free time, exercise isn't going to accomplish much fat loss ....

After getting the weight a little more under control, exercise became more important and it was all about intensity. 20 minutes intense cardio will accomplish more than over an hour of walking or doing stuff (even jogging) at a slower pace. To get yourself to the stage where you can actually do 20 minutes high intensity can take a little time. Therefore, I started out monitoring myself on time and distance/repetition and slowly building the intensity.

I know people who have complained about doing a lot of jogging and failing to lose weight. Aside from the diet issues, you've gotta keep building the intensity, otherwise your body just seems to maintain itself at the set level.

When carrying all the extra weight, some K friends, even my wife would encourage me to take a walk in the park and do a bit of leisurely exercise on the outdoor equipment. THIS WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME in terms of any weight loss. The opposition I had to face from implementing the diet and intense cardio programs was quite severe at times and I often had to lie about what I was actually doing ... but it really is no 'walk in the park' so to speak, and I did start to wonder if some of the people who give that kind of advice are really sincere at all. That - given some of the startled looks I got when the weight did disappear ...
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical Dave's- insensitivity towards Anorexia Survivors.
mnjetter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

What?
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnjetter wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

What?

mnjetter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
mnjetter wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

What?

Very funny. Razz

I meant what does Steelrails mean by that? I haven't seen anything about anorexia or its survivors on this thread, and so I must conclude that the message he is trying to convey is one that we are expected to infer. But I have no idea where to start inferring, and am thus confused.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnjetter wrote:
Squire wrote:
mnjetter wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

What?

Very funny. Razz

I meant what does Steelrails mean by that? I haven't seen anything about anorexia or its survivors on this thread, and so I must conclude that the message he is trying to convey is one that we are expected to infer. But I have no idea where to start inferring, and am thus confused.

Anorexia Survivor is another term for "fat"
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
mnjetter wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

What?

HA! Laughing
mnjetter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
mnjetter wrote:
Squire wrote:
mnjetter wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

What?

Very funny. Razz

Anorexia Survivor is another term for "fat"

Ohhhh.....I've never heard that before, heh.
mnjetter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh...double post.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnjetter wrote:

Strenous exercise tends to actually decrease the desire to eat even though the caloric intake has increased.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
mnjetter wrote:

Strenous exercise tends to actually decrease the desire to eat even though the caloric intake has increased.

That's not what happens to me after my runs! Laughing
GF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my fat friend says: if you're fat, you have a problem. If you don't think you have a problem, you have an even bigger problem.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
As my fat friend says: if you're fat, you have a problem. If you don't think you have a problem, you have an even bigger problem.

I like it!

That's what I noticed about fatties in the office I used to work in stateside. They tried denial, "I'm fine with it", "everyone does it", and developed even more messed up issues as a result.

At least your friend is fat but sane. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: