Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pay rates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howardp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: pay rates Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if Koreans have ever heard of the concept of cost-of-living increases?
I am appalled when I look at jobs being offered in Seoul--one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in--and see W2.1 or even W2.0 as pay rate!
When I 1st came too Korea in 2001 I made W2.0; but was in small country area where things were cheaper. I also had my biggest and best apartment ever offered!
In 2002 I was in smaller city but still made W2.1 there.

So now for 2013 jobs in Seoul are paying what I made 10 years ago!?

I know schools/hagwons try to pay as little as possible but don't they understand that they are more likely to hire better teachers if pay is decent? Otherwise they will get some young fresh college grad who has no idea what to do in a classroom!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple economics....

The worst recession since 1929 starts in USA in 2008.
Flood of economic refugees from USA head for Korea.
Wages fall from 22.2-2.4 at the entry level to 2.0-2.1.

As long as the US keeps exporting migrant workers and economic refugees like some 3rd world country the wages don't have to go up for entry level jobs.

JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And maybe you were overpaid in 2001? Or were paid to live with conditions less suited to westerners? You could work in South America or Europe and get much less but the quality of living could be higher, or work in the Middle East and get more money for a shittier life. If Korean schools didn't know that in 2001 then you were lucky but that is not the norm.
Guajiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: pay rates Reply with quote

howardp wrote:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if Koreans have ever heard of the concept of cost-of-living increases?
I am appalled when I look at jobs being offered in Seoul--one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in--and see W2.1 or even W2.0 as pay rate!
When I 1st came too Korea in 2001 I made W2.0; but was in small country area where things were cheaper. I also had my biggest and best apartment ever offered!
In 2002 I was in smaller city but still made W2.1 there.

So now for 2013 jobs in Seoul are paying what I made 10 years ago!?

I know schools/hagwons try to pay as little as possible but don't they understand that they are more likely to hire better teachers if pay is decent? Otherwise they will get some young fresh college grad who has no idea what to do in a classroom!

And while the cost of living has increased significantly in North America in the same time period wages haven't really improved very much. A lot of teachers are renewing their contracts in Korea.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Korea earning (what was a good wage) 2.3 per month over 10 year ago at a hagwon. Utilities and food were a lot cheaper, and the won was 850 to 1 US dollar, approximately.

The ability to earn and save here is far less than it was for Americans. Canadians have it far worse, too. Their dollar is very strong.

Americans who stay here more than 2 years end up with a jump in income taxes from something like 3.3% to around 15%, I believe.
Guajiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
I came to Korea earning (what was a good wage) 2.3 per month over 10 year ago at a hagwon. Utilities and food were a lot cheaper, and the won was 850 to 1 US dollar, approximately.

The ability to earn and save here is far less than it was for Americans. Canadians have it far worse, too. Their dollar is very strong.

Americans who stay here more than 2 years end up with a jump in income taxes from something like 3.3% to around 15%, I believe.

Seems like it's just bad everywhere. Unfortunately (or fortunately, perhaps), my wife doesn't want to move to Saudi Arabia. You can't buy happiness.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:

untrue.
Tax rates are the same for everyone.

Tax rates are progressive and vary depending on your income.

For your average "EFL teacher" the actual tax rates when you do your tax return are in the range of 1.7-2.1%. (You need to be making really big money to get up to the 15% tax bracket and then opt for the 15% flat tax).

Only hagwans who have you listed as private, independent contractors hit you with the 3.3% tax rate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: