Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-Existing Medical Conditions and Getting a Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rey7986

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Pre-Existing Medical Conditions and Getting a Visa Reply with quote

My friend and I are currently applying to teach in SK. The process has been moving fairly quickly, but I'm concerned for his sake; he's got epilepsy. I'm not sure what his medicine is called, but it's expensive. Will this hurt his chances for getting a visa... or a job, for that matter?

Any advice/input would be appreciated! Thanks!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-Existing Medical Conditions and Getting a Visa Reply with quote

rey7986 wrote:
My friend and I are currently applying to teach in SK. The process has been moving fairly quickly, but I'm concerned for his sake; he's got epilepsy. I'm not sure what his medicine is called, but it's expensive. Will this hurt his chances for getting a visa... or a job, for that matter?

Any advice/input would be appreciated! Thanks!

If he admits to the condition he will not get a job.

If he lies on the job and visa applications then he may get a job but depending on his meds may have issues (visa fraud) when the facts are discovered later at the mandatory medical exam and drug screening.

Availability of meds may be another issue and the "insurance" that is in your contract may very well not exist after you arrive (especially if you work in a hagwon).

JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-Existing Medical Conditions and Getting a Visa Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
If he admits to the condition he will not get a job.

Indeed.

How serious/severe is his epilepsy? Does he have intermittent episodes only when he hasn't taken his medication? Can he go all day at school without being ill? Can he bring enough medication to last him for 12 months? How often does he have a seizure? How many seizures has he had in the last 12 months?

Teachers can/do work here with epilepsy, diabetes and other problems that need daily care. If it won't affect your work then you can get a job here but you need to be selective as to how you answer questions on the visa form. Medication is not always available but is better than many people think. Epilepsy drugs most likely won't show up on the screening - I don't take them but I know teachers who do. Don't tell the school or recruiter, they may be totally okay if you're a good teacher but it's not necessary to bring this to the table.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC's questions & comments are on point.

Re: withholding medical history on a visa application, theres an interesting article in this weekend's Korea Times: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2012/11/392_124894.html Different situation but maybe applicable. Its a gray area, with uncertainties.

If your friend were to have a major seizure at school, I think its likely he'd find himself on a plane home pronto. Koreans tend to have little sympathy for conditions that impede normal working capability.

Best luck to your friend, sincerely. I had petit mal events into my early adult years & can relate. If he's confident its totally under control, he should be good to go.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as schwa said if your friend were to have a big seizure in the school it wouldn't at all be surprising that they would lose all confidence of the students' parents and be asked to leave. A small one, if it wasn't noticed or outside of school, would not ring any alarm bells but Korean parents can be very uptight about their kids' schooling (which actually can be a good thing for us teachers).
Skippy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC summed it up quite well.

If his epilepsy is SERIOUS, then he should not come and work here. If it is minor with non frequent attacks, then teaching in Korea is doable.

Please search the board there has been similar threads about health and Korea. use google and the words "site:forums.eslcafe.com/korea WORD WORD"

Still your friend will have to lie about his health to both immigration and pssibly the school. Doing could bite back in the future, from being fired with cause to having your visa canceled.

As to medicine, that could be a toss up. He might be able to get it, he might not. It could even have a different name here in Korea. Health insurance might cover it, it might not.

Good Luck.

Once again your friend really needs to think about if he can survive here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: