Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruiter help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegameksk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Recruiter help Reply with quote

Hey all. I am a first timer looking into teaching in Korea. I have my documents and now my recruiter wants me to send my stuff over but I would like to use more then one recruiter to get a job quicker. How can I go about applying with more then one recruiter if they want my documents? Also any recruiters you guys would recommend? Thanks for all the help
newb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Recruiter help Reply with quote

thegameksk wrote:
Hey all. I am a first timer looking into teaching in Korea. I have my documents and now my recruiter wants me to send my stuff over but I would like to use more then one recruiter to get a job quicker. How can I go about applying with more then one recruiter if they want my documents? Also any recruiters you guys would recommend? Thanks for all the help

Scan. E-mail.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Recruiter help Reply with quote

thegameksk wrote:

DO NOT SEND THE HARD COPIES UNTIL YOU HAVE A CONTRACT IN HAND.
If you do then the recruiter has you by the balls and locked in since you won't have the documents to apply elsewhere.

Send scans of your relevant documents (degree with apostille, CBC with apostille, photo, passport information page) and resume as attachments to the e-mail.

ONLY send the hard copies when you are actually doing the visa application process.

thegameksk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that. Thank you very much. Do you guys know of any decent/good recruiters? I also see a lot of jobs on the job boards here any advice as far as figuring out what is real and what is bs? Thanks
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all good.
They are all the best.
They are all bad.
They are all the worst.

The good one is the one who gets you a "DECENT" job.

They are all good and they are all bad. They all have some proponents and they all have some complaints.

Search yourself and you have access to perhaps 20-50 potential employers who may be able to actually READ your resume and perhaps can get you through the visa confirmation process (not always easy for 1st time applicants).

Use 20 recruiters and that number jumps up into the many hundreds or potentially over 1000 jobs, even if the employer himself doesn't speak English (lots of hagwan jobs, MOST private placement PS jobs and virtually ALL private K-12 jobs fall into this category).

The problem lies in the fact that most people do NOT understand the role of the recruiter.

They are an introduction to a potential employer that you yourself would not otherwise be able to find. Then, if they are any good at their job, they guide you through the placement and assist with the paperwork necessary to get you as far as the employer.

They are NOT your friend.
They do NOT work for you (they are paid for and work for the employer).

They are like a used car salesman.
You walk onto their car-lot (website), peruse the cars (available jobs), if you see one you like you inquire about it.

After you listen to the sales pitch you let YOUR mechanic have a look at it (due diligence checking out the school).

If it is all good then you make the offer (accept the contract) and complete the sale (begin the paperwork for your visa application).

A good salesman will ensure that the paperwork is in order to make the sale and allow you to register the car. (A good recruiter will make sure your paperwork is in order and help get you through the paperwork to get your visa.)

I have no problem with using a recruiter or telling anyone else to use one (or more the case, many). They are your best option for fining the BEST fit when it comes to a job in Korea (or most of Asia for that matter).

For someone who is abroad, no connections and no ability to communicate in Korean then recruiters are a necessary evil.

That doesn't mean it is a crap shoot.

ALL recruiters are good. All recruiters are bad.
BUT they are a bridge to a job that you would not otherwise find.

The trick is in understanding what they are and what they do.

ttompatz wrote:

Really, when it comes to a recruiter, who cares where they are from or where they are based?

A recruiter is nothing more than an introduction to an employer.

Unless you have an extensive network of friends and/or colleagues in your target country OR can read/write and speak the local language and can apply directly they are a necessary evil.

REPEAT: A recruiter is nothing more than an introduction to an employer.

Hello Mr. English speaker this is Mr Hakwon owner.
Mr. hakwon owner, this is Mr. English speaker.
Mr. English speaker, here is the contract. Please read and sign.
School, here is the signed contract. Pay me.
Good bye.

-You are not paying them anything (or you shouldn't be).
-THEY DO NOT WORK FOR YOU! - They work for the school.
-They owe you nothing once you get here.
-They are not your friend.
-They are not your baby sitter.
-They cannot help you if things go to *beep* after you get here.

Beyond that it is YOUR responsibility to check the school out.

Do NOT trust ANY recruiter. They are like used car salesmen. They will lie and sell their soul to get the signature on the contract.

Do your own DUE DILLIGENCE in regards to the school or get burned.

Use the recruiters for what they are. Use more than one and keep going until you get what you want. There is no rush and there is certainly no shortage of jobs.

When it comes to the school - again - repeat - Do your own DUE DILLIGENCE.

1st - READ the contract over very carefully. If that doesn't scare you away then...

The best you can do is minimize the risk by talking to MORE THAN ONE of the foreign staff and ask POINTED AND SPECIFIC QUESTIONS (*when the boss is NOT listening over their shoulder). Don't accept non-specific answers and broad generalizations.

No foreign staff references to talk (directly and via e-mail) to = walk away now.

Accept NO EXCUSES for any reason.

ONE CAVEAT: if it is a public school there may not be a Native English Speaker to talk to but there is a chain of command OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL (your POE liaison) if you have problems and they are more strict in following the terms of the contract.

Skippy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said do not send the actual documents until you have a contract signed and in your hand.

When you send scans. Consider making the neat and not to big. If you can package them up in a nice rar file or PDF.

Some quick tips to help you

If you can get extras for fecal matter hitting the fan situation.
Please read the FAQ and this section MORE.
Use google to search the boards first for any questions you have.

Skippy Stock List

This question that comes up all the times.

Can some recommend a good/best/etc recruiter? People want that special recruiter that will get them the best job. Recruiters are just one part of the process. Never mind this what I call "string question" aka "How long is a piece of string?". For one person a recruiter is fine, to another the best, and to one person they wish death upon.

Here is the easy answer - ALL OF THEM. Do not use one, use them all. One will eventually find you a job.

I have complied a list of threads of this question... The threads where found with google and two words recruiter and ______> I used best, good, recommend, and
I tried to keep to the basic question of can some body tell me what recruiter to use. A few are quite old, some a little specific to a city or area. I mainly ignored specific recruiting companies.

A GOOD RECRUITER
Advice on reliable recruiters!
any good recruiters
Any school/recruiter recommendations for Busan?
are these all the same?
Best ESL Agency for jobs???
Best Hogwans or recriuters? Any thread/advice
Best Public School Recruiter
Best recruiters for public school positions
Can anyone recommend a good recruiter for Seoul positions?
Can anyone recommend a good/reliable recruiter?
Can you recommend a recruiter or two for me?
Choosing a recruiter
Coming back, anyone know a decent recruiter for Seoul area?
Dillema about recruiters
Do you avoid recruiters?
EPIK recruiters - The Good The Bad and The Ugly?
Getting a job from the UK - Recruitment Agencies?
Good and Bad recruiters
Good recruiter?
Good Recruiters
Good Recruiters????
good reruiters/schools in Busan
Got a recruiter to recommend?
Great Recruiter
Great Recruiters...Know any?
How do I find a reputable Recruiter? (circa 2012)
I need a recruiter who can help me find a job in Busan...
Jack's Recruiter Run-Down
Legit Korean Recruiters
List of good recruiters
Looking for a good recruiter
Looking for a New Recruiter.
Most Reliable/User Friendly SMOE Recruiter
Need a good recruiter.
NEWBIE HELP! - Which Recruiter? How To Choose? Agh!
pls recommend aussie recruitment company to teach in Korea!!
Pls Recommend Korean agency ... Ok and a few other questions
Recommend (!?!) a recruiter
Recommend Recruiter?
Recommend your recruiter
Recommended Recruiters
Recommended Recruiting Agencies?
Recruiter
Recruiter application considerations
Recruiter suggestions?
recruiters
Recruiters?
Recruiting agency reviews
recruiting companies
Recruitment Companies: Any to avoid?
reputable recruiter for Jeonju area
Reputable recruiters for South Korea
reputable recruiting agencies
So which recruiter should I choose~?
The BEST recruiter!
Time to Start Looking Again
Top Recruitment Agency- footprints? thinkoutside? worknplay?
Which recruiter to choose?
Which recruiter to use?
which recruiting agencies would you recommend?
Who are some of the best recruiters
Who are the good recruiting agencies?
Who is a good recruiter? Good private school?
Would anyone recommend a recruiter for a job in Korea?

Updates
recruiter recommendations? (gyopo having a hard time!)
new sticky

A head node to Tomato who inspired this list.
staygold

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegameksk wrote:
I did not know that. Thank you very much. Do you guys know of any decent/good recruiters? I also see a lot of jobs on the job boards here any advice as far as figuring out what is real and what is bs? Thanks

I recommend (in order of preference) ESL Line, OK Recruiting, JJ Recruiting, and ATC for hagwons/"private schools." Make sure you call these places if they don't reply to your emails. For public schools, Korvia.

But yes, apply to as many recruiters as possible, but use common sense to weed out the fishy ones. Avoid Doyle Kim (Trinity Consulting) and John Han (JobNCO aka korea-esl at daum.net).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: