Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs where they should speak English well but fail to do so
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really? so you wouldn't expect the receptionist in an International Hotel chain to speak English, or a pilot, or a flight attendant? So what language would you expect a receptionist working in an expensive international hotel in a developing country say, where 90% of the customers are foreigners to speak? Just the local language?


Expectation leads to disappointment. Adaptation leads to your solution.

I'd be surprised, but then again if 90% of customers are foreign and 70% of those spoke Chinese, I'd guess that she might speak Chinese.

Quote:
No it doesn't. If you're on a plane travelling from Korea to Japan, and the pilot and flight attendants are Korean, what second language will the majority of them speak? Yes, English. The same goes for airports.


I think an international pilot is a bit different as there are actual charters and regulations involved.

But yes in a hotel or at a reception desk, if 70% of all foreigners are Chinese, then I'd guess that there would be more Chinese service than English and I wouldn't whine.

After all, am I more important because I speak English? Is my customer experience more valuable and important than theirs? There are more of "them" than "me".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Stamos jr.



Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Location: Namsan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Not as stupid as the belief that native English speaker=white male. Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and Women need not be considered.


Don't PC *beep* foot around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SMOE NSET



Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English teachers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
This is true, but I still don't expect it. I don't expect English in any country that English isn't the native language.



Really? so you wouldn't expect the receptionist in an International Hotel chain to speak English, or a pilot, or a flight attendant? So what language would you expect a receptionist working in an expensive international hotel in a developing country say, where 90% of the customers are foreigners to speak? Just the local language? Meaning she wouldn't be able to check in 90% of the customers properly. Really?


I'd expect them to speak what the majority of their clientele speaks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After all, am I more important because I speak English? Is my customer experience more valuable and important than theirs? There are more of "them" than "me".


There lies the key I think. It sounds like when you say you don't expect them to speak English what you really mean is you don't think it's fair that they have to speak English. The fact is you were fortunate enough to be brought up speaking the international language so why not just accept it and enjoy the fact that you can travel all over the world without needing to learn other languages instead of trying to make yourself and others feel guilty about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Zyzyfer



Joined: 29 Jan 2003
Location: who, what, where, when, why, how?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Of course you can understand it, but I find it hilariously stupid that Koreans/Asians in general always try to write it themselves, when they could pay a white dude like me $5 to make it sensible. Sure, they're cutting costs. But, they should feel embarrassed about the ridiculous crap that winds up on their stuff.


Well first, we would witness the death of Engrish and its associated brethren, and that would be a very sad day in history.

And yeah, I don't know what's up with all these businesses writing garbage English everywhere. Just crack open the Yellow Pages and find a White Dude Editing Service. I'm sure there must be a bunch listed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd expect them to speak what the majority of their clientele speaks.


And not English? Or as well as English? (if it's different)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
John Stamos jr.



Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Location: Namsan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
Of course you can understand it, but I find it hilariously stupid that Koreans/Asians in general always try to write it themselves, when they could pay a white dude like me $5 to make it sensible. Sure, they're cutting costs. But, they should feel embarrassed about the ridiculous crap that winds up on their stuff.


Well first, we would witness the death of Engrish and its associated brethren, and that would be a very sad day in history.

And yeah, I don't know what's up with all these businesses writing garbage English everywhere. Just crack open the Yellow Pages and find a White Dude Editing Service. I'm sure there must be a bunch listed.


It doesn't really even require "editing" necessarily. It's a simple phrase on a sign or something. And a simple "Hey, random foreigner, is this right?" isn't that difficult to do. But, nah, just pretend like you know what you're saying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
I'd expect them to speak what the majority of their clientele speaks.


And not English? Or as well as English? (if it's different)


Nah, not necessarily. If I was checking into a hotel in Moscow/Berlin/Hong Kong/Lhasa/wherever, I would not assume that they'd be able to converse in English. Hopefully, before I made my reservation, I'd check into something like that. IF they had a website/page in English, then I would assume they could. But just going in "blind" to a hotel and assuming they would speak English - nope, not me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jobs where they should speak English well but fail to do Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
Have you ever been in a situation where because of their particular job you assumed they would be able to communicate with you in English but they couldn't - at least not well enough to give you the information you needed?


It's humorous how so much money is spent in KR on English yet it doesn't seem to be working, the people who speak well tell me they learned from being around foreigners, not classes.

Last week I was swinging thru Itaewon after work, there's some new bar, main street, away from the major clump towards Hanganjin station, big blue sign "Bla bla, free bar". What the heck is "free bar"? You got me hooked. So I bust in for a scout out!

Dude opens bar in Itaewon, dude can't speak any English, dude calls over younger dude who speaks English, younger dude can't speak English either.

I found out they serve beer, got it. Won't be back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nah, not necessarily. If I was checking into a hotel in Moscow/Berlin/Hong Kong/Lhasa/wherever, I would not assume that they'd be able to converse in English. Hopefully, before I made my reservation, I'd check into something like that. IF they had a website/page in English, then I would assume they could. But just going in "blind" to a hotel and assuming they would speak English - nope, not me.


I was talking about international chains Hyatt, Hilton etc..but actually nowadays in a touristy area I'd probably assume most places would have an English speaking receptionist. Perhps not in a small hotel in a non-tourist city. This is not because I feel they should speak English just from personal experience
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Nah, not necessarily. If I was checking into a hotel in Moscow/Berlin/Hong Kong/Lhasa/wherever, I would not assume that they'd be able to converse in English. Hopefully, before I made my reservation, I'd check into something like that. IF they had a website/page in English, then I would assume they could. But just going in "blind" to a hotel and assuming they would speak English - nope, not me.


I was talking about international chains Hyatt, Hilton etc..but actually nowadays in a touristy area I'd probably assume most places would have an English speaking receptionist. Perhps not in a small hotel in a non-tourist city. This is not because I feel they should speak English just from personal experience


You can assume that. That's your call. I would not. That's on me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can assume that. That's your call. I would not. That's on me.


Assume what? That receptionists at international chains wouldn't be able to speak English (which was the original argument) or that smaller hotel receptionists in tourist spots would not be able to speak English?

If you assume that receptionists in international chains such as the Hyatt, Hilton, etc in major cities like you mentioned (Hong Kong, Moscow etc..) would not be able to speak English I'd say you were wrong to assume that. I would bet a large sum of money that in order to be a receptionist in a hotel which is part of an international chain, one of the requirements of the job would be that you'd have to be able to speak English. Do you disagree with that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you seem determined to fight.

Are you seriously trying to poke a fight with me about me not assuming something??

Give it a rest, man. Relax. Chill. Do what you need to do to calm down and take another look at the post you just wrote.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fighting with you because I still don't know precisely what you're saying I was trying to pin it down very specifically in the last post (sorry if it came across as aggressive) but you don't seem to want to tell me. Fair enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International