Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs where they should speak English well but fail to do so
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really? so you wouldn't expect the receptionist in an International Hotel chain to speak English, or a pilot, or a flight attendant? So what language would you expect a receptionist working in an expensive international hotel in a developing country say, where 90% of the customers are foreigners to speak? Just the local language?

Expectation leads to disappointment. Adaptation leads to your solution.

I'd be surprised, but then again if 90% of customers are foreign and 70% of those spoke Chinese, I'd guess that she might speak Chinese.

Quote:
No it doesn't. If you're on a plane travelling from Korea to Japan, and the pilot and flight attendants are Korean, what second language will the majority of them speak? Yes, English. The same goes for airports.

I think an international pilot is a bit different as there are actual charters and regulations involved.

But yes in a hotel or at a reception desk, if 70% of all foreigners are Chinese, then I'd guess that there would be more Chinese service than English and I wouldn't whine.

After all, am I more important because I speak English? Is my customer experience more valuable and important than theirs? There are more of "them" than "me".
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Not as stupid as the belief that native English speaker=white male. Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and Women need not be considered.

Don't PC *beep* foot around.
SMOE NSET

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English teachers
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
This is true, but I still don't expect it. I don't expect English in any country that English isn't the native language.

Really? so you wouldn't expect the receptionist in an International Hotel chain to speak English, or a pilot, or a flight attendant? So what language would you expect a receptionist working in an expensive international hotel in a developing country say, where 90% of the customers are foreigners to speak? Just the local language? Meaning she wouldn't be able to check in 90% of the customers properly. Really?

I'd expect them to speak what the majority of their clientele speaks.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After all, am I more important because I speak English? Is my customer experience more valuable and important than theirs? There are more of "them" than "me".

There lies the key I think. It sounds like when you say you don't expect them to speak English what you really mean is you don't think it's fair that they have to speak English. The fact is you were fortunate enough to be brought up speaking the international language so why not just accept it and enjoy the fact that you can travel all over the world without needing to learn other languages instead of trying to make yourself and others feel guilty about it.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Of course you can understand it, but I find it hilariously stupid that Koreans/Asians in general always try to write it themselves, when they could pay a white dude like me $5 to make it sensible. Sure, they're cutting costs. But, they should feel embarrassed about the ridiculous crap that winds up on their stuff.

Well first, we would witness the death of Engrish and its associated brethren, and that would be a very sad day in history.

And yeah, I don't know what's up with all these businesses writing garbage English everywhere. Just crack open the Yellow Pages and find a White Dude Editing Service. I'm sure there must be a bunch listed.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And not English? Or as well as English? (if it's different)
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
Of course you can understand it, but I find it hilariously stupid that Koreans/Asians in general always try to write it themselves, when they could pay a white dude like me $5 to make it sensible. Sure, they're cutting costs. But, they should feel embarrassed about the ridiculous crap that winds up on their stuff.

Well first, we would witness the death of Engrish and its associated brethren, and that would be a very sad day in history.

And yeah, I don't know what's up with all these businesses writing garbage English everywhere. Just crack open the Yellow Pages and find a White Dude Editing Service. I'm sure there must be a bunch listed.

It doesn't really even require "editing" necessarily. It's a simple phrase on a sign or something. And a simple "Hey, random foreigner, is this right?" isn't that difficult to do. But, nah, just pretend like you know what you're saying.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

And not English? Or as well as English? (if it's different)

Nah, not necessarily. If I was checking into a hotel in Moscow/Berlin/Hong Kong/Lhasa/wherever, I would not assume that they'd be able to converse in English. Hopefully, before I made my reservation, I'd check into something like that. IF they had a website/page in English, then I would assume they could. But just going in "blind" to a hotel and assuming they would speak English - nope, not me.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jobs where they should speak English well but fail to do Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
Have you ever been in a situation where because of their particular job you assumed they would be able to communicate with you in English but they couldn't - at least not well enough to give you the information you needed?

It's humorous how so much money is spent in KR on English yet it doesn't seem to be working, the people who speak well tell me they learned from being around foreigners, not classes.

Last week I was swinging thru Itaewon after work, there's some new bar, main street, away from the major clump towards Hanganjin station, big blue sign "Bla bla, free bar". What the heck is "free bar"? You got me hooked. So I bust in for a scout out!

Dude opens bar in Itaewon, dude can't speak any English, dude calls over younger dude who speaks English, younger dude can't speak English either.

I found out they serve beer, got it. Won't be back.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nah, not necessarily. If I was checking into a hotel in Moscow/Berlin/Hong Kong/Lhasa/wherever, I would not assume that they'd be able to converse in English. Hopefully, before I made my reservation, I'd check into something like that. IF they had a website/page in English, then I would assume they could. But just going in "blind" to a hotel and assuming they would speak English - nope, not me.

I was talking about international chains Hyatt, Hilton etc..but actually nowadays in a touristy area I'd probably assume most places would have an English speaking receptionist. Perhps not in a small hotel in a non-tourist city. This is not because I feel they should speak English just from personal experience
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

I was talking about international chains Hyatt, Hilton etc..but actually nowadays in a touristy area I'd probably assume most places would have an English speaking receptionist. Perhps not in a small hotel in a non-tourist city. This is not because I feel they should speak English just from personal experience

You can assume that. That's your call. I would not. That's on me.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can assume that. That's your call. I would not. That's on me.

Assume what? That receptionists at international chains wouldn't be able to speak English (which was the original argument) or that smaller hotel receptionists in tourist spots would not be able to speak English?

If you assume that receptionists in international chains such as the Hyatt, Hilton, etc in major cities like you mentioned (Hong Kong, Moscow etc..) would not be able to speak English I'd say you were wrong to assume that. I would bet a large sum of money that in order to be a receptionist in a hotel which is part of an international chain, one of the requirements of the job would be that you'd have to be able to speak English. Do you disagree with that?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you seem determined to fight.

Are you seriously trying to poke a fight with me about me not assuming something??

Give it a rest, man. Relax. Chill. Do what you need to do to calm down and take another look at the post you just wrote.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fighting with you because I still don't know precisely what you're saying I was trying to pin it down very specifically in the last post (sorry if it came across as aggressive) but you don't seem to want to tell me. Fair enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: