Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help: Paying for a Distance learning Master's Degree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattAwesome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: help: Paying for a Distance learning Master's Degree Reply with quote

I have finally decided to be an adult and pursue a master's degree in TESOL. i am thankful for the age of 'distance learning'.

i will do my due diligence on choosing which university to 'attend.' always hated putting periods inside quotation marks...

i have one looming concern though. paying for it. i just started looking, but if you wonderful people have information on scholarships for distance learning for MA-TESOL. i would appreciate it. i am looking at schools in the US and UK. i am a US citizen, just havnt thought about paying for school in almost 10 years.
Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find scholarships for your degree, let me know! I am finishing my Master's and will owe about $15,000 in loans. Confused
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: help: Paying for a Distance learning Master's Degree Reply with quote

MattAwesome wrote:
I have finally decided to be an adult and pursue a master's degree in TESOL. i am thankful for the age of 'distance learning'.

i will do my due diligence on choosing which university to 'attend.' always hated putting periods inside quotation marks...

i have one looming concern though. paying for it. i just started looking, but if you wonderful people have information on scholarships for distance learning for MA-TESOL. i would appreciate it. i am looking at schools in the US and UK. i am a US citizen, just havnt thought about paying for school in almost 10 years.

Usually, people fund their MA with assistanceships (by being a TA, a research assistant or teaching undergrad courses; none of which are possible when doing distance learning).

I am not aware of any bursaries or scholarships for post grad programs undertaken by distance learning.

Good luck in your search.

Highwayman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're looking at a minimum of $10,000. The UK seems like the less expensive place these days, and a great many of their universities are doing these programs, including highly ranked ones like Nottingham and Manchester.

You won't have to pay the full go up front. There will be installments of under 2,000 GBP every few months. You should be able to fund your studies from savings from teaching, provided you earn a reasonable income and are disciplined in your spending.
Hootsmon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm studying a distance MA at Nottingham and you just pay by the module. If you can't afford to pay, you just don't start the next module until you can.

They have a few funding options, but I don't know if you'd qualify for them...you would have to check the website.
timhorton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Framingham University (US) offers that program here in blended format (on site a few weeks during vacation). It's by course/module and pay as you go. Last I heard the total costs was about 6.5.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid Birmingham Uni. I'm finishing the tesol program and it's been a terrible experience. Rude tutors, useless department heads, constant excuses for poor service and sudden price hikes make it an expensive practice in hitting your head against a brick wall.
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a US citizen, just file a FAFSA:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

That is, of course, if you don't mind taking out loans. Otherwise, almost none of the distance MA programs I'm familiar w/ offer grants or scholarships.
MattAwesome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was having the feeling that there isnt much assistance with distance programs. i would go back home and do the program there, just.... id have to go back home. id rather continue my awesome job and getting paid study from here.

i also like the quality/price of the uk programs. id rather pay a little more for a top 10 school in uk. thanks for the top on birmingham.

ive heard good things about lanceister(sp?), lancaster, and manchester. the latter being my last choice.
HapKi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reconsider one person's negative experience with Birmingham. I graduated from the TEFL/TESL MA program and was very satisfied. According to the current website, total cost of tuition is a little over $12,500, spread out over six 4 month Modules.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/postgraduate/distance/english/english-foreign-second-lang.aspx

Do a search for Birmingham's Distance MA on Daves and you'll find it's probably the most popular course out there.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do a search for Birmingham's Distance MA on Daves and you'll find it's probably the most popular course out there.

Birmingham used to have a great reputation and used to hold regular lectures in Seoul but the standards have dropped greatly. It hurts me to say, as I have spent so much money at this uni, but I would not recommend Birmingham to anyone. There are people on this board who work as tutors for Birmingham and it is difficult to hear criticism about something you spent so much money on but when I speak to other Birmingham students they have often mentioned the shortcomings of this course.
The fees increased by just under $400 recently and it looks like price hikes will be a regular occurrence in the future as they seek to squeeze as much money out of the students as possible.

Birmingham remains popular because people don't want to criticize their own uni.
Hank the Iconoclast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my MA in TEFL/TESL and was extremely satisfied. Had two great tutors who kept me on the straight and narrow. I also met most of the CELS Professors during the summer seminar or the KOTESOL International Conference. All of them were extremely approachable and helpful. Also, in the field of Applied Linguistics, Birmingham is a leader in the field (Corpus Linguistics). I can't forget the fellow students I met through the program which helped steer me away from the "Let's get drunk on the weekdays" crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: