Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 3 Classroom irritations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautilus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Top 3 Classroom irritations Reply with quote

1. Obnoxious over-animated teenage girls who scream or shout for little or no reason.

2. Students who act dumber than they actually are, because its cool not to take english too seriously.

3. Students who do not follow where we are in the passage, then are clueless when it is their turn to read.

Any others? Laughing
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. In ability to grasp the concept of class time means have your book is out and open, if possible to the right page. While your at it a pencil and eraser might be a good idea, too.

2. Getting simple concepts like if your are tired, then rest. If you have homework you want to do, the do it. If I feel a student is really tired, they can rest. Not talk to friend. Not use thier hand phone. Not move and look around every minute. Just bleeding rest. If you are doing something that I do not like, I will tell you. I even get students asking and begging please teacher can we do some homework. Then once they get permission, they proceed to NOT do it.

3. The change I have seen over the years. It was not a big one years ago, but now is mind bending annoying. CELL PHONES. If I could destroy them, I would. Really why do parents get their kids this things. You want to help your kids in school. DO NOT GET THEM A CELL PHONE. Any benefit is outweighed by all the distractions it causes.
tanklor1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3. The loud kid who knows all the answers.
2. The quiet kid who is in a level higher than they should be.
1. Spoiled teenage girls.

Can't stand spoiled girls.
Taylormade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Students who demand your attention then and there even though you're currently busy with another student. (I demand your attention now.)
2. I'll be marking a paper at my desk and a student will walk up and put their finished paper down on top of the one I'm presently marking. (I demand your attention now.)
3. Having half the students talking non-stop while I'm trying to teach, and completely ignoring my request that they stop..

(couldn't we change this thread to our "top twenty" irritations Confused )
roguefishfood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other posters have pretty much said mine.

1. The "students who think it's cool to not take English seriously" thing, for sure.

2. The endless chatter at all times like they have no capacity to just shut their freaking mouths for FIVE SECONDS.

3. How long it takes for them to be ready for class after the bell rings. That they burn a few minutes doesn't bug me so much, but I do get to feeling a bit disrespected.

I wish they'd realize what they're missing out on when they behave poorly. I don't think it's all my fault, I have 3 awful classes, 4 excellent classes, and 3 in between classes. (I see each class twice a week.) With the excellent classes, I'm relaxed, jokey, low-pressure, I go on tangents, indulge requests (teacher one more time, etc.) and act clownish because I don't have to worry about respect/authority. I have a good time, they have a good time.

This is my default state, it's how I started in the beginning (MISTAKE, should have been stricter I guess) but with the awful classes, and on bad days with the in-between ones, I'm on the whole other side of the spectrum. I guilt, I punish, I frown, I become more like an angry cop than an elementary school teacher.

(These are all sixth graders, by the way.)

They've seen both sides, they pretty clearly have a preference, but it's like they have no concept that their behavior has any impact on which one they're more likely to see. There are moments where they get punished (by me or a co-teacher) and they still don't seem to internalize that they brought it on themselves. Like they think we're just being jerks to them for no reason.

I took developmental psych, I'm pretty sure they should be able to connect the dots here by age 11, physiologically speaking.

I would actually welcome advice on the subject, if anyone has any. (Not to bring productivity to a complaining thread or anything.)
Isehtis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Students
2) Coteachers
3) Manager.

Seriously though, the only thing that still annoys me is having students in the wrong class level. Most of the other stuff I don't even notice any more.
nautilus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roguefishfood wrote:

I wish they'd realize what they're missing out on when they behave poorly. I don't think it's all my fault, I have 3 awful classes, 4 excellent classes, and 3 in between classes. (I see each class twice a week.) With the excellent classes, I'm relaxed, jokey, low-pressure, I go on tangents, indulge requests (teacher one more time, etc.) and act clownish because I don't have to worry about respect/authority. I have a good time, they have a good time.

Totally. You got it.

The students don't realize that if they simply started off by respecting me, then I'd loosen up and they'd spend the year enjoying class rather than hating it because they waste their entire time fighting and resisting everything I do! Its like pulling teeth for a year. Painful to all involved.

4) Students that don't realise class goes ten times quicker if you take an interest in study rather than goof around!
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to work in hagwonzez,

1) managers who think they know best.

2) parents who think they know best.

3) students who think they know more than the teacher

In Public Schools;

1) Co-teachers with little or no clue as to what they should be doing

2) Co-teachers with little or no clue as to what their NET should be doing

3) Other NET's who say their school is great.

( I often suspected that most of them were just pretending)
Times30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In PS:

Nothing.... everything is water off a duck's back.

In Hagwon:

1) Students who aren't working or working hard.
2) Students who use "I was sick" as an excuse for everything.
3) Students that are in rebel phase and think that they NEED to say "no" to assert their social status.

Not much else. I don't know why most people said their boss. It's easier to deal with the boss than with the kids most of the time, or at least in my case.
Gorf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to sound really mean, but as far as annoying is concerned:

1. Students who are too happy. I mean those ones who will go "TEACHER, LOOK AT MY LEGOS" right when they walk into class, when all I want is for them to put their homework in the homework pile, get out a pencil and eraser, sit down, and shut up.

2. Similarly, those ones who are only too happy to be a nuisance. They don't seem to realize that by humming, tapping their desks, leaning in their chairs, moving their desks and talking to friends, they're only making it harder on themselves.

3. Students who grab, pull, and push you without consideration. I know they're kids and they live in a cramped society, but really, grabbing onto my shirt when I walk past to ask a question is extremely rude. When I was growing up, the thought of grabbing a teacher's clothes or arms would never enter my mind. I guess kids these days are just spoiled.
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The genital grabbing and the butt poking. It's the worst it has ever been. I'm waiting until the end of my contract to get a vasectomy, just because I'm worried these guys could rupture the stitches.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The co-teacher interrupting what you're trying to teach for her own purposes.

The co-teacher being rude to NET's during class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: