Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about portable external hard drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enigma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Question about portable external hard drives Reply with quote

I'm not a tech guy, so please go easy on me.

I bought my laptop in Canada, and I'm planning to pick up a USB hard drive. I know that the laptop has a power converter in the power cord that converts the voltage so that it can run properly, however I'm curious if buying a hard drive in Korea and using it with a Canadian computer will matter.

The reason I ask is because I had an mp3 player I purchased in Japan that charged fine on my Canadian computer (via USB), but when I took it traveling with me to China and southeast Asia it wouldn't charge. So I'm wondering if there would be a similar problem with a hard drive.

One more question - I live in a very small city nowhere near Seoul, so I figured I'd just pick one up next time I make a Costco run. Is that a good idea, or can I get a (significantly) better deal elsewhere?

Thanks
swigs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more about the OS, than country of origin. Meaning if you have Mac OS X, then your hard drive would need to be formated for that system. Most external hard drives are already formated for Windows.

There are hard drives that are powered through USB, and some that have their own external power. Usually the ultra portables are albe to be self powered, but cost more per gigabyte. So it depends if you want portability over storage capacity.

Not sure what costco has, but you could always buy online as well, and get exactly what you want.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltage provided through USB is the standard 5V around the world. Your MP3 player must have just chosen that time to break.
sulkoudai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5 inchers are USB powered and 3.5 inchers need a power supply.
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with any USB-powered device in any country, I think your player just called it quits or it had paranoid software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: