Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In-person interview suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebektionary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: In-person interview suggestions Reply with quote

I have an in-person interview on Tuesday.

I've had successful interviews before and I know what to do, I just thought that maybe I could get some other valuable suggestions/advice.

I already know to make myself look as best as possible and wear a suit. I already know to make eye contact and smile the whole time. I already know to talk about how much I love Korea and how lucky I consider myself to be here.

I already have answers to the questions "What is your teaching style?" and "What are your strengths and weaknesses as a teacher?" and "Why did you come to/choose Korea?" questions down.

What other questions could I prepare for? Any other advice?

It never hurts to hear what other people have to say.
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the type of job you want. If the interview is with the owner, then I feel the most important thing is establishing a working relationship. Ask them what the manager and co-teachers will be doing. If you get along with the owner and the owner sees you want to get along with other people, then you will be part of the team.

If the interview is with the manager, then chances are decisions can't be made but will be handled through that manager. Don't ask final questions like working hours or vacation time scheduling. Ask to see and visit the apartment, classroom, and maybe even walk or they might drive you around the local area. You can improvise questions during this time based on what you see.

If the interview has some demo aspect to it, then you'll have to prepare. I have only had a classroom one. They had me teach the highest level class for about 20-40 minutes. In that case, the school isn't that concerned about your answers, they are just following protocol. What matters is what the students will say after the demo.

So, find out exactly what kind of interview it is. You may be asked to not dress more casually if it isn't a business like setting. At one hagwon I was supposed to look like the serious business type teacher, and another teacher was supposed to look like the relaxed mellow surfer dude who doesn't shave or wear full length pants. Find out what image they want you to project. Another one is where they hire an older person (gray hair) and I used to have a younger look (hair receding though). Try to get photos of the school and see how those teachers dress. Then, dress within that range you see.

Last edited by YTMND on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about a guy who went for an interview and lost the job in the first exchange. He had arrived early, looked smart, had a great resume etc. It went something like this;

"Hey, thanks for coming and arriving early!"
"Oh I had nothing to do today."

The interviewer thought what is this guy doing, wasting a whole day when he's unemployed?
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the interviewer misread the intent. The teacher probably meant, "I don't have any other obligations besides (securing, focusing on) this job."

With a one employer rule at play, it goes to reason you would want to communicate this dedication and commitment. Perhaps he worded it loosely and the interviewer was smart enough to catch a different interpretation.

However, if the school is going to be that strict about the lingo, do you really want to work there?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
I read about a guy who went for an interview and lost the job in the first exchange. He had arrived early, looked smart, had a great resume etc. It went something like this;

"Hey, thanks for coming and arriving early!"
"Oh I had nothing to do today."

The interviewer thought what is this guy doing, wasting a whole day when he's unemployed?

LOL... not a story from Korea.

JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it was in the US not Korea or teaching. It was just an illustration to show the interview starts as soon as you walk in the door.

Another example:

A human resources manager in a big firm was always doing their interviews for new staff. Everyone said his interviewing technique was terrible but his hires always turned out to be good people. One night he and his colleagues were out and drunk and someone asked how he managed to 'sense' they were good people.

"I don't" he said "I just ask my secretary" (who always stopped them for a chat on the way in).
thebektionary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's not a hagwon - it's a private elementary school. I think I'm just going to make a list of questions to ask about the school beforehand (to show that I want to establish a working relationship like you said,YTMND) and take out the list during the interview so it seems that I am interested in the school and well-prepared.
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
take out the list during the interview

I never thought of that one, I'll bring my netbook then to my Monday interview Wink

I have brought a USB stick in the past in case they wanted a demo. It has pictures and some simple lists of vocabulary. Don't let the school know you have it though. If they ask you to do a demo, ask them, "Is there a computer?"

They will think you are going to draw or something (I don't know what they think actually). But then ask the class, "What sports/food/job do you like?". Whichever student is the most active, bring out pictures related to that category. The school will be quite surprised you have a USB stick and that you have files a student asked for. It's a bit like a magic trick.
thebektionary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really good idea! Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: