Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How common is being fired from a Hagwon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RS085

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: How common is being fired from a Hagwon? Reply with quote

Im looking to sign a contract very soon (end of the year), and all of my documents have been done for months, etc.

Question is, how often are there firings from Hagwons?

I know Hagwons are generally sketchy places to work (even more so now because its an employers market). My brother works at POLY Bucheon and his director is giving him a hard time because a kid who was bullied quit. Business vs school thing. Focus is on making money, not learning, so thats one less money maker for the school.

Im gonna try my best to do some research before I leave.
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you get a good school, if they change management, then that can all change. Don't worry too much about leaving and taking a new offer. In the end it is a lot better than all the grief to stay married.

In fact, it's a marketing ploy, "We have a new English teacher, come sign your child again to our school."

You teach young Kim Seong for 6 months, they get used to you and other teachers, then enrollment drops because there is a new teacher at another hagwon. You go to a new hagwon and all of a sudden enrollment goes up.

If you live out in the country this happens less because they just go to the same hagwon and there is less competition. In this case, make sure the school isn't looking to expand, because they won't. Rural kids won't magically appear. That's the biggest lesson I learned about the stability of hagwon jobs.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it's become an employer's market, there are still excellent hagwon jobs in the smaller cities. Imagine that you're the head of a young family, and looking for the combination of affordable living and good employment opportunities. Newish suburbs like Jangyu, and mid-sized cities like Jinju are still doing quite well. Rural schools also tend to be stable due to the lack of competition, though stable doesn't mean they're a good place to work.

Just don't be afraid of getting fired. It's fairly easy to pick up a new job still.
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very subjective answer. A thousand variables come into play. Really the statistics are not there.

There are many reasons why a person might be fired.

1) School wants something new
2) Bad management
3) Top heavy with Waygook teachers and not enough money coming in.
4) Personality conflicts.
5) Waygook teacher is problematic. Whiny, late often, sick often, hungover, ad nauseum.
6) Economic problems.
7) Good old plane nastiness. Some school deliberately cheat and fire as part of business practice. Little common, just not that common.

The list goes on and on.

But hagwons can be even great. That is for another argument.

If you want to avoid a bad hagwon. They asking for stats will do nothing. Do you due diligence. Investigate the school you want. Learn more about how schools work and operate.

Best way to do that is.... KEEP Reading. Read and read this forums. Lots of tips and hints. Stories and lessons of life to watch out for.

Good Luck.
cincynate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know Hagwons are generally sketchy places to work

I would say this isn't true. There are only a few bad hakwons, and it looks like the majority because people generally don't go on daves and talk about how great their hakwons are. I worked for both EPIK and Hakwons, and I like the Hakwons much better.

As for asking about firings, that's like saying "How often do garbage men get fired?".
newb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a crapshoot.
EZE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My predecessor was fired, so I think I too will be fired at some point in my contract. But until then, I'm loving my 2:00-6:30 hours.
happiness

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been fired because they wanted a girl for the new year (I found out), but i got an incredible job now, just wanted that LOR and I got it, worse thing is not getting my severance, but Im so much happier now. Then I learned I didnt even need the LOR now with the D10, but anyway...fired can happen, but change it into a plus. most places dont care really, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: