Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are dual citizens eligible for F-4 visas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starfilter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Are dual citizens eligible for F-4 visas? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently applied to a recruiting company and was told that I need an F-4 visa in order to work in Korea. I studied abroad last year, and since my parents weren't American citizens at the time of my birth my request for a study visa was rejected. So after two or three months of troublesome paperwork, I received dual citizenship like many of the other gyopos I studied abroad with.

I explained this to the recruiter I was communicating with (at least twice!), and it either seemed like: 1) The recruiter was right, and I need to get an F-4 in addition to my dual citizenship, or 2) I apparently did not explain my point thoroughly enough and the recruiter failed to understand my situation.

Applying for a dual citizenship was a nightmare, and I hoped that it would allow me to remain in Korea as a Korean citizen if I chose to work there. Is there something that I'm missing? Are dual citizens given less rights/privileges than native citizens? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
staygold

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a dual citizen, you're now a full-fledged citizen of Korea as well. You don't need a visa, and you're not eligible for one either.

Dual citizenship was legalized in Korea only 2 years ago, so most people don't know much about it. I had to explain (more than once) the whole thing to all of my recruiters. Make sure your recruiters fully understand your situation.

There are some places that won't accept dual citizens, such as SMOE and hagwons like YBM and Avalon. For everywhere else, you gotta stress the fact that you're a dual citizen, but also a native English speaker. Have proof handy, etc.
sml7285

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Are dual citizens eligible for F-4 visas? Reply with quote

starfilter wrote:
Applying for a dual citizenship was a nightmare, and I hoped that it would allow me to remain in Korea as a Korean citizen if I chose to work there. Is there something that I'm missing? Are dual citizens given less rights/privileges than native citizens? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

One thing... If you're male, you'll probably get a draft letter in the mail soon asking that you report for duty. There are ways to bypass serving, but if you want to stay for more than a year or two and want to work at a job other than ESL (pretty much any large company job), you'll pretty much be blocked from employment unless you serve. I'm entering my 3rd month of service and am currently out on 휴가.... If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me on this site.
staygold

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Are dual citizens eligible for F-4 visas? Reply with quote

sml7285 wrote:
One thing... If you're male, you'll probably get a draft letter in the mail soon asking that you report for duty. There are ways to bypass serving, but if you want to stay for more than a year or two and want to work at a job other than ESL (pretty much any large company job), you'll pretty much be blocked from employment unless you serve. I'm entering my 3rd month of service and am currently out on 휴가.... If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me on this site.

Damn. Could I get more info about that? I have a piece of paper called 재외국민2세제도 and it's supposed to defer me from enlistment. The person from the 병무청 assured me I'd be fine. Confused
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Are dual citizens eligible for F-4 visas? Reply with quote

starfilter wrote:
Applying for a dual citizenship was a nightmare

Why would you do it? Maintaining a South Korean citizenship is a bigger burden for most of the people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: