Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psy's Recent Popularity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
nero wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
This thread is lasting longer than his popularity. Confused

This is the first time CC has made me lol. Laughing

The sad part is: I made the same joke five or six pages back...

Doh!

I'm not sure which is worse... the fact that I stole your joke, or that this thread is still going on and the joke is still applicable.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSY just drew 20,000 at Champ du Mar. It's high time for Three Tenors: Gangnam Style.
madoka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
As another person here has pointed out, Adele has similar album sales yet hasn't come close to the youtube views.

Well, it certainly can't be that people want to LISTEN to Adele's beautiful voice versus WATCHING a fat guy do a funny dance could it? Rolling Eyes
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Underwaterbob wrote:
nero wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

Doh!

I'm not sure which is worse... the fact that I stole your joke, or that this thread is still going on and the joke is still applicable.

Most certainly the latter.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, it certainly can't be that people want to LISTEN to Adele's beautiful voice versus WATCHING a fat guy do a funny dance could it?

I'm not sure that's necessarily how it works. Personally I use YouTube to LISTEN to stuff for free at home and download it if I like it enough to want to listen to it on the way to work etc...I rarely watch the videos at all. Don't know what other people do. I suppose if you're into k pop and the like the videos would be more important.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Mr. BlackCat wrote:
As another person here has pointed out, Adele has similar album sales yet hasn't come close to the youtube views.

Well, it certainly can't be that people want to LISTEN to Adele's beautiful voice versus WATCHING a fat guy do a funny dance could it? Rolling Eyes

Yup, which is pretty much what I said the very next sentence after the one you quoted when I said Steelrails brings up some points to explain that disparity. Nice try, though.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
Underwaterbob wrote:
nero wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

Doh!

Most certainly the latter.

Guilty as charged! I'm being unreasonable in thinking I can squash all the cockroaches.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:

Yep MUST be a conspiracy by those evil Koreans....everyone buying 10-20 copies of the song just to push it to the top....

Rolling Eyes

(emphasis mine)

TheUrbanMyth wrote:

First I never accused anyone of calling Koreans evil.

And for the last time...WILL YOU STOP CLAIMING THAT I SAID STUFF I NEVER SAID?

Do you not know the difference between MYSELF making a hyperbolic statement as opposed to ACCUSING someone else of making said statement? Really?

You're digging yourself a pretty deep hole here. Either you don't understand the difference OR you were dishonestly twisting my words. Neither one is a good option.

Last edited by TheUrbanMyth on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Well, it certainly can't be that people want to LISTEN to Adele's beautiful voice versus WATCHING a fat guy do a funny dance could it?

I'm not sure that's necessarily how it works. Personally I use YouTube to LISTEN to stuff for free at home and download it if I like it enough to want to listen to it on the way to work etc...I rarely watch the videos at all. Don't know what other people do. I suppose if you're into k pop and the like the videos would be more important.

The thing is that Psy's song caught on specifically because of the zaniness of the video and the dance, both visual elements.

That's the problem, there really isn't a song that you can quite compare it to. I mean, what was the last big dance to come out? What was the last music video that was big because of the video?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something from LMFAO?
gforce645

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article/editorial from Chosun Ilbo from last week. Some pretty interesting quotes, not what I expected.

"But I am not too excited about explaining the meaning of the lyrics to Gangnam Style" because I am not convinced that they are worth it."

"The problem is not restricted to Psy. "Gee" by Girls' Generation, "I Am the Best" by 2NE1 and "Fantastic Baby" by Big Bang rank among the 10 most-viewed Korean songs on YouTube and their lyrics are also excruciatingly banal."

Heres the rest of the article

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/11/01/2012110101373.html
drydell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gforce645 wrote:
An article/editorial from Chosun Ilbo from last week. Some pretty interesting quotes, not what I expected.

"But I am not too excited about explaining the meaning of the lyrics to Gangnam Style" because I am not convinced that they are worth it."

"The problem is not restricted to Psy. "Gee" by Girls' Generation, "I Am the Best" by 2NE1 and "Fantastic Baby" by Big Bang rank among the 10 most-viewed Korean songs on YouTube and their lyrics are also excruciatingly banal."

Exactly!.. That's what I've been saying all along!.. Psy isn't mocking the rich gangnam elite- he IS the gangnam rich!.. Ask some clued up Koreans about it.. Makes me laugh all the foreigners who thought that daft song had some kind of left-leaning social commentary about it
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drydell wrote:
gforce645 wrote:

Exactly!.. That's what I've been saying all along!.. Psy isn't mocking the rich gangnam elite- he IS the gangnam rich!.. Ask some clued up Koreans about it.. Makes me laugh all the foreigners who thought that daft song had some kind of left-leaning social commentary about it

That was all started by an east coast publication called The Atlantic.

Interesting how the writer went to extreme lengths to argue that the song was lefty commentary...almost unnatural levels of enthusiasm to do so
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that anyone cares, but PSY 820 mil Beaver Baby 802 mil.
gforce645

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those F5 bot programs have been running non stop. I wonder if people will catch on when the views reach over 1 billion and the Psy fad has long passed. Even as of now I still wonder if any real people are watching it and who they are. Maybe tribes in Papua New Guinea are just finally catching on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: