Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone had sinus surgery in Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mta7388

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Has anyone had sinus surgery in Korea? Reply with quote

I am scheduled to have one at Severance Hospital Yonsei University because of chronic sinusitis. They will remove nasal polyps and fix my deviated septum.

I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure in Seoul. I am concerned about the post operation recovery, especially with the nasal packing they do, which I've heard is very painful. Also, they are recommending I stay 2 nights, and I mostly read that this surgery is an outpatient or 1 night stay.

I'm just looking for anyone to share any similar experiences they had. Thanks!
Hootsmon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had it done at a clinic in Ilsan after a friend of mine had it done in the same place. Shoot me a PM with any questions you have and I can hopefully put your mind at ease, though obviously that hospital might be different to the place I went to.
tardisrider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty common surgery. I'm sure lots of people have had it in Seoul.
micechasekittens

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently had septorhinoplasty here due to an extremely deviated septum (lacked a left nose cavity it was so crooked) and I had an unsightly hump on my nose.

The surgery was fine, but you'd be rather stuffed for a few weeks following the procedure. If you need the surgery, there is a good chance you know what that feels like. Also expecting a lot of bleeding. Remembering to not sneeze for a month can be a bit difficult. They used splints rather than nasal packing. I was still groggy a couple days after surgery which made teaching right after surgery not fun. I saw the surgeon each week to see how it was healing and to clean out the dried blood clots.

For the first time in my life, I could breathe through my nose and my nasty weekly migraines are gone. Also the entire cost was about 2 million won which was a fraction it would be back in the states. Now if my neighbors would stop their snoring, maybe I'd get the first 8 hours sleep of my life (I no longer wake up every couple hours like before the surgery).
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my deviated septum fixed last spring.

One of the best things I've ever done, but the surgery and following few days after it sucked hard.

(1) I wasn't put under for the surgery and while drugged I could still here the doctor chipping away and crunching the bone inside my nasal cavity. Absolutely traumatizing! Laughing

(2) The next few days with the gauze in my nose was brutal and I found sleeping to be difficult as I would wake up every hour.

(3) The pulling out of the gauze made me cry like a little girl. Well not really but the pain was strong enough to bring tears to my eyes.

(4) The following check ups also sucked as the doctor had to clean out my nose with long tools which reactivated the pain.

(5) I had to clean out my nose for a month after the surgery with saline water two or three times a day. The long ass blood clots, especially for the first few weeks were trippy and at times horrifying.

But with all that said I'm so glad I did the surgery. It's life changing to be able to breath properly.

Good luck.
strawberrycats12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I would suggest:

Make sure you have a mask.

Good lotion to keep your skin from peeling from the bandages.

Make sure you buy a humidifier. (that boils)
It helps you breathe better at night rather than having very dry air which makes it worse when you are breathing through your mouth. You will get cotton mouth... but the humidifier will help a lot.

Buy three bottles of saline two or three large syringes tell them its for your nose they will understand. You just throw away the needle. (if they try to sell you other stuff don't buy it not worth it) should be less than 5000W

Make sure you eat. Start with juk or soft foods. You will not feel like eating much.

You can't blow your nose or can't even smell food for a while.

The surgery was scary at first and the pain of going to the hospital for 2-3 months was annoying, but it will well worth it in the end. I don't have any nose problems or get sick as often. Make sure you check in for visits to the hospital. It takes a full year to recover. You feel fine after 2 months. Good luck and think positive.
cheezsteakwit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had chronic sinusitis surgery back home in the states , & not here in Korea.

I also had the surgery about 20 years ago , but what I CAN remember:

It was outpatient surgery & NOT overnight. My dad drove me to & fro the hospital.

I was awake during the surgery & HEARING the crunch inside my nose & THEN Feeling the warm blood run down the back of my throat was freaky.

Having my nose stuffed with gauze for the next few days or so was kinda wierd, but I don't remember being in any major pain. (maybe they gave me good drugs ????)

BUT , today I feel SO much better. I still snore like a freight train (which may be ONE reason I'm still sngle) & I probably have sleep apnea (which I'll get checked out one of these days) but it feels good to be able to breathe through my nose (while awake)

When you see what 'Normal' breathing is like, you'll wonder why you didn't get the surgery done sooner.

Best of Luck!
mta7388

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate all the replies and it's good to see most experiences are positive. I'm have a meeting with the surgeon this week for more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: