Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Went to buy I-pad Mini, but found some issues I didn't like

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Went to buy I-pad Mini, but found some issues I didn't like Reply with quote

I just went in to buy an I-pad Mini, and decided against it (bought Retina model for my wife, instead).

I was able to try the Mini side-by-side against the other 2 I-pad models and found that certain pages that had not been pre-loaded would hang or load far slower on the Mini than with the other I-pad models. It was weird, so I tried over and over again with different pages that were not already in cache (if Apple has one?)-- same problems. The first page I noticed this on was the eslcafe front page, followed by clicking on the Korean Job Forums link. Yeah, I know that this page tends to slow and hang sometimes, but I tried multiple times and found the same issue happening on the Mini but not on the other models. Same issue with some other sites.

I figured I had some anomaly germane to the particular unit I was using, so I tried the same thing with all of the Minis in the store -- same issue! Either this is a ram problem (they have half of the Ram of the older I-pad 2), or an issue with differing wifi bands and the router. The mini supposedly does not do "N" band, and I know that some routers have had issues sharing two bands at once. I believe the other models will do "N" signals, and they were sharing the same router. Not sure what the issue was, but it scared me off of buying one!

I also noticed that buffering Youtube videos took considerably longer.

I loved the form factor of the mini, but the lower resolution screen didn't make it worth the price, and the wifi issue really killed it for me. The Retina is WAY more expensive than I wanted to pay, but I figure it will have a longer usage life and better resale once the "improved" minis are released next year.
swigs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does have the slower processor that I believe is two generations old, helps keep down the price. I would not get a first gen iPad Mini, as the next gen will be twice the resolution with a faster processor. The iPad 3 is a great value, as the iPad 4 should have knocked its price a good bit, but still snappy and has the retina display.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed... the form factor on the mini is great. The internals just suck. And they should have put a minimum of 1gb ram in it, IMHO. I didn't want to buy a mini, because I think it will really take a resale value hit compared to other models at a later date.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Agreed... the form factor on the mini is great. The internals just suck. And they should have put a minimum of 1gb ram in it, IMHO. I didn't want to buy a mini, because I think it will really take a resale value hit compared to other models at a later date.

Yeah, I think the second-gen mini is going to be a must-buy. Right now though, no retina and an old processor make a non-priority for me. That said I agree. The form-factor is perfection, but they internals are kind of weak.
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I tried it side by side and iPad 4 for over a half hour and saw very little difference other than application load times and, of course, the difference in display. Maybe they units were funky or something but I was particular impressed with the mini.

I was very tempted to pick one up but I have a Kindle and an iPad 3, so I did about the dumbest thing I could have done.

I bought an iPad 4.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake.... The mini will do N speed wifi. Still wonder what was wrong.
fosterman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnawbert wrote:
Funny, I tried it side by side and iPad 4 for over a half hour and saw very little difference other than application load times and, of course, the difference in display. Maybe they units were funky or something but I was particular impressed with the mini.

I was very tempted to pick one up but I have a Kindle and an iPad 3, so I did about the dumbest thing I could have done.

I bought an iPad 4.

wow, so you have a kindle, ipad 3, 4 and is it safe to assume you have a smart phone too?

well I have no smart phone, no tabs, no pads, etc.. and I want to buy one.
I only really want a tab for around the house, just pick up take the toilet LOL
maybe sit on the sofa and use it as a remote for my HTPC Xbmc ,
let my kids use it to watch movies, I have two lap tops, so I wouldn't be using it for pc stuff, ummmmm take it on trips in the car, stuff like that.

would a kindle be the way to go? or should I go Ipad 4, or tab3?
don't want to spend a lot of money for something which is basically just a toy to watch movies, you tube, and keep my kids quiet in the car
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fosterman, go for the Google Nexus 7.
$199 in the US or 299,000 in Korea.
fosterman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Fosterman, go for the Google Nexus 7.
$199 in the US or 299,000 in Korea.

I think I need at least 10"

so nexus 10 could be good?
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 10" has not received the most stellar reviews. It's also made by Samsung. The 7 inch model is made by Asus.

If you do not need a camera, look at the NOOK HD+ offering. It works well with multiple users and kids.
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
Gnawbert wrote:

I bought an iPad 4.

wow, so you have a kindle, ipad 3, 4 and is it safe to assume you have a smart phone too?

well I have no smart phone, no tabs, no pads, etc.. and I want to buy one.
I only really want a tab for around the house, just pick up take the toilet LOL
maybe sit on the sofa and use it as a remote for my HTPC Xbmc ,
let my kids use it to watch movies, I have two lap tops, so I wouldn't be using it for pc stuff, ummmmm take it on trips in the car, stuff like that.

would a kindle be the way to go? or should I go Ipad 4, or tab3?
don't want to spend a lot of money for something which is basically just a toy to watch movies, you tube, and keep my kids quiet in the car

I have a Kindle (Kindle 4) for ebooks, because I find the screen absolutely light years easier to read than an iPad. I read quite a lot, so this was sort of a no brainer. I played around with a Kindle Fire, but found it to be pretty terrible. And yeah, an iPhone and a iPad.

Honestly, I think the iPad is quite a bit ahead of the other tablets, due mostly to the stability of the OS and the vast amount of apps. My iPad remains my go to device for 90% of my needs, whether it's studying, teaching, or playing games or just watching movies. I use a bluetooth keyboard with it and do a lot of actual work on it as well, so 75% of the time I use my iPad, but it's not a PC replacement, and 25% of the time I use my laptop.

That said, the Nexus 7 is pretty sweet as well. Android is quickly closing the gap in tablets, but still has a ways to go. 2013 might be quite interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: