Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I being judgemental?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanklor1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Am I being judgemental? Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just too uptight but I feel that my co-workers go out drinking way too much. I live in a sizeable city with a healthy foreign population. It seems like every time I go to work I'm hearing stories about what happened at the bar last night and who got drunk and did what. It seems to be happening a lot recently. And it irks me that it seems to be becoming the norm. Any one else find that their co-workers drink a lot?
joesp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not being judgmental at all. Just, a wall is being put up between you and your co-workers because you do not trash your liver like they do. I don't see any problem anywhere. Perhaps their f-ups will provide you with some entertainment over the long run as it gets worse.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well do you propose any alternatives for fun and try and get people to join or better yet get two or three other people, declare what you are doing and wait for the boozers to follow you? Or do you just sit in the bar sulking and expecting everyone to read your mind and do something to entertain you?

This is Korea. Booze is cheap and on every corner. Also people here aren't friends for life, they're forced to become acquaintances and often the only way they can tolerate each other is to drink.

Lastly, most people in Korea are single and most seem to be wanting to hook up . You don't hook up sitting at home or going to the flower festival (unless your group is getting smashed at the flower festival magkeoli tent and hitting the local noraebang).
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Am I being judgemental? Reply with quote

tanklor1 wrote:
Maybe I'm just too uptight but I feel that my co-workers go out drinking way too much.

Kkk, welcome to Korea! Smile
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they constantly go out and get tanked then they are drinking too much.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Am I being judgemental? Reply with quote

tanklor1 wrote:
Maybe I'm just too uptight but I feel that my co-workers go out drinking way too much. I live in a sizeable city with a healthy foreign population. It seems like every time I go to work I'm hearing stories about what happened at the bar last night and who got drunk and did what. It seems to be happening a lot recently. And it irks me that it seems to be becoming the norm. Any one else find that their co-workers drink a lot?

The question is: does it impact your job at all? My first year in Korea there was one other foreign teacher. He'd get black out drunk about once a week, and often more than that, even on weeknights. Since there were only two of us, that made my life that much more of a pain.

If you're not being directly affected, just try to distance yourself and focus on other things (and hopefully at least a couple co-workers who don''t drink so much). Beyond that? Not sure what else you can do.

If it is affecting your job, then you might have to bring the topic up to them..
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Well do you propose any alternatives for fun and try and get people to join or better yet get two or three other people, declare what you are doing and wait for the boozers to follow you? Or do you just sit in the bar sulking and expecting everyone to read your mind and do something to entertain you?

This is Korea. Booze is cheap and on every corner. Also people here aren't friends for life, they're forced to become acquaintances and often the only way they can tolerate each other is to drink.

Lastly, most people in Korea are single and most seem to be wanting to hook up . You don't hook up sitting at home or going to the flower festival (unless your group is getting smashed at the flower festival magkeoli tent and hitting the local noraebang).

This pretty much sums it up. I'd also add that a lot of teachers at are that "prime" drinking age, where in certain places such as Korea, it is a central part to people's social lives.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it affects your work (co-workers missing classed you then have to cover for example) if they decided that getting hammered is a good way to have fun, it is their choice.

Will the conversation be boring for you? Most likely as the ole "I got smashed last night and did..." story has only a few variations...you will know them all quite well after a few weeks... Laughing
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If their stories are always similar, you should tease them about it and tell them to live it up a little more and stop being a bunch of boring drunks Smile.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them to quit and get a teaching job in Thailand. There are plenty of outdoor bars in Thailand which usually is the choice of "in an attempt to be nice" heavy drinkers.

I have actually seen whites passed out in the "gutters" in Thailand. Really makes you wonder.
Yagremohbhg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should grow up and learn to enjoy your lifestyle without worrying about other people's if they're not negatively impoacting on you.

It's called T.O.L.E.R.A.N.C.E and M.A.T.U.R.I.T.Y

You'll spank me one day. Um, Freudian slit...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: