Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English GPS/navigation for Car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giraffe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: English GPS/navigation for Car Reply with quote

Those of you who drive here.. Can you recommend any good english navigation/gps systems? I'd like to find a gps that has an english voice to guide me...

Any recommendations or do you guys just use a korean one?

I was looking at this one

http://itempage3.auction.co.kr/DetailView.aspx?ItemNo=A628307963&frm3=V2

but seems to be a bit pricey ( nearly double the price ) for an equality good korean one...

thanks...
ursus_rex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider using your smartphone. I use T-Map and it works quite well; however, it is in Korean. Otherwise, as good as any GPS, as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps someone might know of a good navigation app in English. It may save you a bit of money.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use a Korean navigation system. It's not too hard to figure out the Korean words for "Go straight for 500 meters," "Speed camera ahead," etc. If you want a navigation system with an English option, it will cost about twice as much, on average. As with many products and services in a non-English-speaking country, you have to pay a premium for English.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Korean ones can be changed to give English prompts. Mine is like that, although the sales guy didn't know. At the shop I just clicked on settings, and there was a drop down to change the language to English. Maps and search are in Korean (actually easier), but prompts are in English.

Half the price of the "English" model.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an iPhone, I used the GoGo3D App ($49) for 2 years. Its in English and worked better then a English Daewoo POS gps that cost $400. Now on my S3, I use the built-in Olleh Navi gps, and it works pretty good.
giraffe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
Some of the Korean ones can be changed to give English prompts. Mine is like that, although the sales guy didn't know. At the shop I just clicked on settings, and there was a drop down to change the language to English. Maps and search are in Korean (actually easier), but prompts are in English.

Half the price of the "English" model.

sooo care to tell me what model/brand name you're using =).?
I dont mind if the searches are in korea. I just want the english prompts because it'll be more clear than korean prompts ( even though i understand the korean prompts for some reason i feel like it wouldn't be clear right away... )
giraffe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
If you have an iPhone, I used the GoGo3D App ($49) for 2 years. Its in English and worked better then a English Daewoo POS gps that cost $400. Now on my S3, I use the built-in Olleh Navi gps, and it works pretty good.

does olleh nav gps do english prompts? or is it korean voice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: