Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hagwon Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever1000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Hagwon Hours Reply with quote

I've been reading a lot of info on Hagwons (since my GF and I are looking for positions) and I have seen a lot of the jobs/offers with hours between 9-6pm or 9-6:30. They usually have hours of 9+ each day. Should we hold out, and look for a position with regular hours (8 hours/day)?

Another question:
We are hoping for an afternoon shift (2-10pm for example). Is it much better than regular hours? Or should we accept the regular hour (9-5pm) jobs?

Looking for responses based on experience, please.

Thanks for any help!
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should we hold out, and look for a position with regular hours (8 hours/day)?

Longer hours doesn't mean you are working those hours. It means they want you to be available during that range.

You need to ask about the total number of classes. Then, get a schedule. Find out how many classes you will teach together. I try to do 3 or 4 classes in a group, then another group of classes later.

After you do your 3-4 classes, leave the school. Return when you need to teach the next block of classes. Unless you want to live at the school, avoid teaching 1 or 2 every other hour.

Quote:
We are hoping for an afternoon shift (2-10pm for example). Is it much better than regular hours? Or should we accept the regular hour (9-5pm) jobs?

The hours don't matter. What matters is finding out the classes and getting a schedule. Find out who you are teaching. Realize that the young ones won't be coming past 2pm or 3pm. So, an afternoon shift can help to avoid them or an earlier shift can help to make you available for them if you want. Your choice. Talk with the school and find out who you will teach and choose if that is what you want or not.
thrylos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you'll be doing both Kindy in the morning till lunch, get a break, and then Elementary in the afternoon.

If you enjoy young'uns, go for it. If you prefer older kids, look for something else.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon Hours Reply with quote

stever1000 wrote:
I've been reading a lot of info on Hagwons (since my GF and I are looking for positions) and I have seen a lot of the jobs/offers with hours between 9-6pm or 9-6:30. They usually have hours of 9+ each day. Should we hold out, and look for a position with regular hours (8 hours/day)?

Another question:

Looking for responses based on experience, please.

Thanks for any help!

9-6 or 9-7 means a kindergarten shift in the morning (9:00-13:00) and elementary in the afternoon after their regular school (15:00-19:00).

IF you like little kids then kindy jobs are still plentiful (compared to the others), having that break at mid-day allows time for banking and other stuff and you still have your evenings free.

Older kids means starting at 2 and working till 10.
If you are night people then this job may be a better fit; work till 10, party till 4am, sleep till noon and repeat. (too hard on the body for me).

Working with adults means ugly split shifts (6-9am then 6-10pm). There are no saving graces to this one. It is just a long year.

EZE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked at three different hagwons. My hours have been as follows:

Reading Town: 1:00-9:15

Wonderland: 9:30-8:00. There wasn't a break during the day. We had to serve food at lunch and so on.

Current hagwon: 2:00-6:30
stever1000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful information!

2-630? Is that part time??
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stever1000 wrote:

Looks like it.

Of course it could be a dream come true.
Even a job that offers that you something a little to good to be true may have some downsides..

One area about timing some people neglected to mention is "prep time". This time is used to prep of classes, check homework, photocopy things, do reports. Some times the prep is needed and others it is just thumb twirling times. Prep time is not class time so is often no paid time. Sorry no extra overtime pay for you here.
Some schools want you there 30 minutes or maybe less before others may ask for an hour or more. As said check the contract and get an example of the schedule if you can.

So a job that says 3-10 might actually mean we want you here at 2:00pm.
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stever1000 wrote:

It feels like it, after having such long days at the last place, but I'm making 2.2 plus pension.
lemak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hagwon Hours Reply with quote

stever1000 wrote:

Keep looking. Both options are like comparing warts on a nose. i.e crappy.

I don't know why people take hagwon jobs with split shifts (even an hour sitting around drags), or 8 hours, or comparable schedule to back home.

For me I want to get in, do my job and get out, but each to their own.

Maybe some people like sitting around an office staring at walls, or enjoy the social side of listening to chicks complain that they're cold every five minutes and extolling the virtues of all things Korean. I'm not one of those people.

There are plenty of hagwon jobs are there that still only require you to show up say 2.30 to 8, or 3 to 8.45 kind of thing.

But you'll have to sort through the chaff and crap offers being pumped out by recruiters and the chain private schools that are seemingly flooding the market.

Just be patient, it may take weeks or even months to find an ideal gig - but will definitely be worth it.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hagwon Hours Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
stever1000 wrote:

Keep looking. Both options are like comparing warts on a nose. i.e crappy.

I don't know why people take hagwon jobs with split shifts (even an hour sitting around drags), or 8 hours, or comparable schedule to back home.

For me I want to get in, do my job and get out, but each to their own.

Maybe some people like sitting around an office staring at walls, or enjoy the social side of listening to chicks complain that they're cold every five minutes and extolling the virtues of all things Korean. I'm not one of those people.

There are plenty of hagwon jobs are there that still only require you to show up say 2.30 to 8, or 3 to 8.45 kind of thing.

But you'll have to sort through the chaff and crap offers being pumped out by recruiters and the chain private schools that are seemingly flooding the market.

Just be patient, it may take weeks or even months to find an ideal gig - but will definitely be worth it.

I don't mind having a hour break in between a long stretch of classes. Teaching 6 hours in a row is just killer, both on the body and the mind. During a break, I can eat something, grade some essays, post my homework, etc. So an hour break here and there is not something I mind too much if I'm teaching a lot of classes, say 5 or more, in a day.
fezmond

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked at:

2.30 - 8.30 (1.5 hours for each class) but they required us to come in twice a week at 10am for OJT and a team meeting. We were also required to head in to prep an hour early. If you started later or finished early you could head off home or come in later. Strange 'brain respiration' school

10 - 6(ish) kindy/ele
The kids were great and the co-workers were awesome but I'm not a morning person and doing 10 classes with a single break for lunch wasn't fun. (40 or 50 min classes).

2-10 (current) but this is usually a 2.30-8.30 or 3-9 gig. We could turn up whenever we wanted before classes but they're starting to enforce a 6 hour every day rule.

I'd take the kindy kids without mornings if it was possible. I'm not a morning person at all. Once elementary kids hit grade 6 (sometimes 5) they really drive me crazy so getting rid of them would be great.

Most of my friends who do the long hours 9-7 etc. end up having a few breaks through the day. It isn't too bad but I'd still try for shorter hours even if it was just block teaching. As said above, get in and get out. Works for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: