Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this recruiter screwing me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boomhauer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Is this recruiter screwing me? Reply with quote

I've been trying to contact my recruiter for a few days to see if my documents arrived and what the status on everything is, but I'm not getting any email response and there is no answer when I try to call. She was very very responsive and helpful beforehand, but after the contract and documents got sent, she just vanished.

I feel like I'm getting screwed over here but I'm not sure why they'd do that. I didn't send them any money or anything, all they have is the documents and signed contract, so whats for them to gain by just abandoning me and not responding to me?

Is there any kind of scam or identity theft or anything they can pull with my documents I sent? I researched the recruiter before going with them and they seemed OK, there isn't a whole lot of info on them on the web but what is there is positive.

I dont want to name the recruiter right now because if I do end up hearing back from them I dont want to bad mouth them on a public forum for no reason. If I don't hear back from them though I'll definitely warn others to steer clear of them.

Just pretty bummed out right now since I was hoping to get into Korea before the year's end and I turned down another decent offer when I accepted this one.

Also, I just checked the ESL Job Board and this recruiter has a recent posting where they are listing the position that I accepted, so what's going on here?
timhorton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They most likely either found another person or the job was cancelled or filled by another recruiter...move on.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At any rate, you should be using a LOAD of recruiters until you find a position that suits you. The other poster's intuition is spot on; they probably just found someone else to place and are not very good about keeping you in the loop.

Post your CV in the jobs portal and use every recruiter you can find. Best of luck with the search.
boomhauer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, guess I dont have much choice. It was a good position in Busan too.

Have to go through the document process again and everything. Still seems weird to me that they'd get my documents and then not contact me, but oh well.

dang ol recruiters man
timhorton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest applying for a public school position and use a recruiter that is approved on websites like EPIK, etc.
ontheway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this recruiter screwing me? Reply with quote

boomhauer wrote:
I've been trying to contact my recruiter for a few days to see if my documents arrived and what the status on everything is, but I'm not getting any email response and there is no answer when I try to call. She was very very responsive and helpful beforehand, but after the contract and documents got sent, she just vanished.

I feel like I'm getting screwed over here but I'm not sure why they'd do that. I didn't send them any money or anything, all they have is the documents and signed contract, so whats for them to gain by just abandoning me and not responding to me?

Is there any kind of scam or identity theft or anything they can pull with my documents I sent? I researched the recruiter before going with them and they seemed OK, there isn't a whole lot of info on them on the web but what is there is positive.

I dont want to name the recruiter right now because if I do end up hearing back from them I dont want to bad mouth them on a public forum for no reason. If I don't hear back from them though I'll definitely warn others to steer clear of them.

Just pretty bummed out right now since I was hoping to get into Korea before the year's end and I turned down another decent offer when I accepted this one.

Also, I just checked the ESL Job Board and this recruiter has a recent posting where they are listing the position that I accepted, so what's going on here?

Did you interview with the school, get the name of the owner or manager, or get the name of the school or did you only deal with the recruiter?
FaceFaceFace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if you signed the contract and sent your documents, maybe the recruiter is waiting until they can give you the visa code?? Just a shot in the dark/giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe try calling them on a different phone to see if they pick up??

Sucks.
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

How long was it from the time the recruiter informed you that you had the job, to when you sent the documents?
yeongji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the website is legit, I would not be worried about having your personal information stolen. Unless you applied from a website that is not legit and you were asked to provide information that made you feel uncomfortable, you should be safe. There is not guarantee on privacy on anything you share on the Internet, but unless someone really wants your information, I doubt you will be searched.

As for them not replying to you, it seems to me that they do not want to confront you about not getting the position, especially after giving you the offer. They probably had second thoughts and wanted to see if there will be other applicants, and thus, the position you were offered is available again. It is just a bad move on their part to not be responsible for their actions, but they is not much you can do. Focus on applying for another job (as well as company) and hopefully this will not happen again.
toddt82

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very interested to know which recruiting company this was. As you said, you won't mention them in case they do get in touch with you...but if they don't, please let us all know who it was. I'm sorry this happened to you. I would be FURIOUS if I sent all my documents that took so long to gather and then they were just "lost" on someone... At least have the decency to mail them back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: