Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SHOCKING Korean Teacher - beating female elementary student
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timhorton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: SHOCKING Korean Teacher - beating female elementary student Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ObIAh6Ldk
newb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the girl is cursing a lot as she was crying. I heard "18" several times. It's difficult to understand what the teacher is saying though.

It seems the teacher needs to take a long vacation.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
It seems the girl is cursing a lot as she was crying. I heard "18" several times. It's difficult to understand what the teacher is saying though.

Those students look like 6th graders. 6th graders can be really sassy, rude, and uncooperative. The girl was overreacting and I didn't see the teacher doing anything terribly wrong. Plus, she was using profanity, which I wouldn't tolerate in my class. If she did that while I was hitting her, I would have hit her harder. Good for the teacher. They need to bring back corporal punishment in schools here and, well, everywhere. Give the power back to the teachers, not to the students.
faeriehazel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds he's telling her to grab her ankles? It's hard to make out what is being said over the hysterical shrieking.

The classroom in general seems out of control. I've seen kids get beatings far worse than that (when I was a student) but usually everyone was seated and silent, not milling about and laughing.
kabrams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
newb wrote:

Those students look like 6th graders. 6th graders can be really sassy, rude, and uncooperative. The girl was overreacting and I didn't see the teacher doing anything terribly wrong. Plus, she was using profanity, which I wouldn't tolerate in my class. If she did that while I was hitting her, I would have hit her harder. Good for the teacher. They need to bring back corporal punishment in schools here and, well, everywhere. Give the power back to the teachers, not to the students.

Said no good teacher anywhere.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they fighting because it looks like the girl tries to slap the teacher? Why is a teacher fighting his student? It looks like the girl is trying to defend herself after he has thrown her around. I wonder what happened just before it got to this. Surely after that the guy has to be sacked.

Quote:
They need to bring back corporal punishment in schools here and, well, everywhere. Give the power back to the teachers, not to the students.

There's a right way and a wrong way to deal with things. Throwing around and slapping a kid isn't the right way.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabrams wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
newb wrote:

So a good teacher would let the students run amok and dominate the classroom? Get real. Hitting is a last resort, but there are situations that demand it. Kids aren't adults. They cannot always be reasoned with. Sometimes the teachers have to assert their dominance, and if that requires them to do so physically, then so be it.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabrams wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
newb wrote:

Exactly. Who the f thinks like that?
yfb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
kabrams wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
newb wrote:

So a good teacher would let the students run amok and dominate the classroom? Get real. Hitting is a last resort, but there are situations that demand it. Kids aren't adults. They cannot always be reasoned with. Sometimes the teachers have to assert their dominance, and if that requires them to do so physically, then so be it.

Do it within the system. A few whacks with the love stick should suffice, not this unrestrained punching.
kabrams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
kabrams wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
newb wrote:

To what situations do you refer, exactly?
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
kabrams wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
newb wrote:

Exactly. Who the f thinks like that?

Well, I think like this, for one, and so do a good number of Korean teachers. I'm not proposing violently beating students, but whacking them a few times with the "love stick" doesn't cause permanent physical injury yet causes students to behave better and be more respectful. It is just as Machiavelli wrote: "It is better to be feared than loved." As far as teaching is concerned, this is absolutely true.

To add to this, I will share a personal experience. Last winter, I was teaching a TOEFL class to a group of about 25 very advanced middle school students. Most of the students were behaving well, but one group of three boys kept talking and not doing their work. I was reprimanding them for the dozenth time it seemed when the director of my academy peered into my classroom window. She saw that those boys were disrupting my class, so she pulled them into hallway and hit them a few times with a stick. She didn't hurt their bodies so much as their pride. After they came back into class, the boys were MUCH better behaved. In fact, they behaved better for the entire winter intensive. So, in short, yes, I am completely in favor of corporal punishment. I see absolutely no reason not to be.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabrams wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
kabrams wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
newb wrote:

Students who habitually disrupt class, who refuse to do any work whatsoever, and, especially, students who talk back, use profanity toward me or other students, and completely refuse to follow instruction. Again, I'm not proposing hitting students after the first infraction, but if the students act like this repeatedly, maybe every day for several weeks, and other methods such as time outs have proven ineffective, then... there is no other choice. Hitting becomes necessary. It is the only way to get the student to comply AND do their work. Other forms of punishment rarely, if ever, accomplish both.
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
6th graders can be really sassy, rude, and uncooperative. The girl was overreacting and I didn't see the teacher doing anything terribly wrong. Plus, she was using profanity, which I wouldn't tolerate in my class. If she did that while I was hitting her, I would have hit her harder. Good for the teacher. They need to bring back corporal punishment in schools here and, well, everywhere. Give the power back to the teachers, not to the students.

+1 Well said.

I cannot stand to teach 6th graders because the girls gradually become more and more feisty as they discover the teacher is not allowed to do anything to control them.

The people who dreamt up this system obviously never had to work in it.
kabrams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
kabrams wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
kabrams wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
newb wrote:

Students who habitually disrupt class, who refuse to do any work whatsoever, and, especially, students who talk back, use profanity toward me or other students, and completely refuse to follow instruction. Again, I'm not proposing hitting students after the first infraction, but if the students act like this repeatedly, maybe every day for several weeks, and other methods such as time outs have proven ineffective, then... there is no other choice. Hitting becomes necessary. It is the only way to get the student to comply AND do their work. Other forms of punishment rarely, if ever, accomplish both.

I hope you get fired.

And every time you try to get a new teaching job, recruiters refuse to hire you because they somehow know you're an awful teacher who resorts to hitting students because you're too intellectually incompetent to become better at your job.

It enrages me to think those who are stronger (or with more power) believe it is right to dominate and punish with physical violence.

Such weakness.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who are proponents of hitting kids are morons. I don't even think parents should hit their kids. I did some really bad shit as a kid, but my parents never violently asserted their physical dominance over me to "teach me a lesson", and I turned out great, and passive. I was also on a hit show in the 90s. It's completely idiotic to assume that being violent towards a child is any way to right a wrong, or shape someone positively. Most kids will get leveled off by their peers if they have problems and that's the way it should be. Not you, an obviously physically superior adult, wielding a friggin' stick and crashing blows on some 14 year old kid who doesn't understand the world, in order to assert your dominance. Absolutely retarded individual thinking in my book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: