Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you noticed how Koreans behave abroad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to expand on this idea..

Its funny how some on here reach for the "korean bashing paddle"
and use it for everything.
They single out Koreans on many negative issues and make it sound like they are the only people on Earth that act in this way. They use words or expressions like "the worst", "most pathetic", "whiniest", "backwards"...and so on.

They paint Korea and Koreans as a bunch of horrible people from a backwards culture and yet never mention any other people in this bashing runs.

This makes no sense to me. Sure Koreans have their faults. But, isn't that true of every nationality on Earth? If you are going to voice an opinion about Korea and Koreans why not use a bit of balance in your post and at least try to paint a realistic picture. Why not also use a little bit of perspective.
The bad behavior some of you accuse koreans of having is common to many others that are not Korean.
I am not advocating the perfection of Korea and Koreans, far from it. This is just about using some sort of balance in your views.
Someone who says "Koreans are the worst xxx" automatically loses credibility and sinks into basic schoolyard mud slinging.
Do you like it when people make broad generalisations about your ethnic group or nationality? Do you feel these generalisations are founded or do you discredit them as ill-informed views?
The answer to that question is clear.
Too many on here resort to low-ball insults to vent their spleens about Korea and Koreans. They use this for every conceivable topic. You group all these bash sessions and the end result paints an impossible and quite ludicrous picture of Koreans and Korea.
When you use all encompassing expressions that exclude other possibilities then you identify yourself as one who behaves in the same way as those you are bashing. Not litteraly of course, but in an abstract form.
You calling Koreans "a bunch of whiny idiots" reflects one thing: you are equally intolerant and as much of an idiot as what you are accusing them of. Why? Because your statement itself implies you apply the very thing you are condemming.
Also, people have "knee-jerk" reactions and often fail to really think about where certain behavior comes from in Korea. They assume from the surface instead of trying to see where things come from. That also reflects something about a person.
A picture does not explain it all. Just because you see some sort of behavior or act on the street does not mean its done without reason.
Each society has these behavior patterns. And if you take them at face value, without trying to understand where they come from, it speaks about how you choose to see the world.
matko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course comparisons are allowed.

You said "Why single out Koreans"

I mereley stated that this was the Korean discussion forum. That is why the op posted I assume. If you want to "single out" the Japanese etc. go to that forum and talk about it. I might even join in and agree.

Actually, why is this thread in the "off topic" forum?
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point matko...

I see what you are saying...my god thats twice we almost agree!
Getting scary dude.... Laughing
matko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer,

Your avatar says it all Wink
Pets wonderland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see matko ever post a bad word about Japan.....what you seem to do is degrade Koreans in comparison to the Japanese without being obvious....you've picked up that Japanese trait without any trouble there. Aren't you in Japan by the way? How about you tell us how Koreans behave in Japan? I can tell you about how the Japanese behave towards other Asians in Japan, especially to Koreans in particular. Why don't you admit some things, such as Korea did damn well in the world cup. There's no need to compare the Korean team and the Japanese team, just see the Korean soccer team for what they were- a hardworking team that tried their best. I think I'll visit the Japan forum next and see if matko is bashing the Japanese there....hmmmmm........
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim jong il wrote:
g.w. whiner wrote:
Quote:
Reminds me of another nationality on holiday in Canada
and
Quote:
What makes you think I am talking about Americans?
let me take a stab at it. is it french-canadians? i had to deal with that foul-smellin', foul-tempered bunch every summer on the jersey beaches.

Close. But French-Canadians are still Canadians....
matko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pets wonderland,

Since when is it my job to come here and bash the Japanese?

Yes, I prefer Japan as a place to live over Korea. So what?

Yes, I think the Koreans got lucky in the world cup. So what?

Yes, I think that the Korean students that I taught in Canada were worse (in a variety of ways) compared to students from other countries. So what?

Go check the Japan forum. Have fun. Why don't you post how Koreans get treated in Japan. Maybe I'll join in.

Because you are Korean, does it bother you that many people prefer Japan over Korea?

Alot of people prefer Korea over Japan. So what?

Basically, what is the point of your useless post?

As for me picking up certain Japanese traits............

"I'm turning Japanese oh yes I'm turning Japanese I really think so"

Who sang that anyway?
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in the off topic forum because the general discussion forum is to do with "living in korea". Watching koreans in other countries does not come under this criteria. The moderators have already deleted some of my messages for being in the wrong forum. I live in fear of them now.
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with these shots at French-canadians... Laughing

Matko...yes my avatar says it all... Laughing

For the record dude, I do not think you are turning japanese....not a chance man.
I rather think you are adopting japanese traits but thats cool..it rubs off I suppose.. Laughing

Hopefully you will perceive the humorous tone of my message and not take it litterally....
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matko wrote:

Who sang that anyway?

The Vapors.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pets Wonderland wrote:

Quote:
I have yet to see matko ever post a bad word about Japan.....

That's because this the the Korea forum, not the Japan forum.

Quote:
what you seem to do is degrade Koreans in comparison to the Japanese without being obvious....

That is the Captain's job.

Quote:
you've picked up that Japanese trait without any trouble there. Aren't you in Japan by the way?

Ya!...San gwan hajima sayo!

Quote:
How about you tell us how Koreans behave in Japan?

O.K. I could tell you.

In Osaka, I went to a PC Bang, and the Koreans there were talking about how much they stole from the restaurant's cash register every night they worked in.

A few others were discussing some Korean and Fillipino girls coming over they planned to put into the sex trade.

One was on his phone bragging about beating up a "Jjok-pali".

I was also refered to as a "Yang Nom" countless times....

Quote:
I can tell you about how the Japanese behave towards other Asians in Japan, especially to Koreans in particular.

How they now behave, or how they did behave?

Quote:
Why don't you admit some things, such as Korea did damn well in the world cup.

They sure did! Also, Ben Johnson did damn well in the olympics 100m race.

Pets wonderland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matko,

I don't care if you prefer Japan over Korea or vice versa. What I don't like is you feeding negative info about Korea when everybody has to find it out for themselves.

Also, quite frankly, I do find your posts offensive. Although you've left Korea behind, you still feel compelled to compare them to the Japanese at every opportunity. People who have lived here for a while know better than to believe you but any newbies considering teaching in Korea will potentially get scared off by the things you say. I remember your old posts were much more anti- Korean than now and although you've toned down your posts, the bottom line is the same- You've done really well to get out of Korea, and since you chose to leave, you want everybody to know that Japan is a far superior country in almost every aspect.

So, what is the point of my so useless posts? Well, what was the point of your useless posts about Boa & her total lack of talent and looks? What's the point of telling people that 'J league is much better' or 'Korea will never repeat their success, ever'. All you're doing is painting a negative picture, yet again. Don't you think that as a Korean, I've got the right to be offended? Especially since I've been to Japan many times and actually don't think Japan's all it's craked up to be, I resent any information being misrepresented by a biast person.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like Korea better than Japan.

But I think this whole thing is a bit funny.

I mean, Korean culture is a bit hard to swallow at times:

Racist Protests:

Or rudeness: (pawk you usa)

Etc.

But..at least Koreans are more upfront and honest about how they feel..
Pets wonderland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? I find it funny too- Laughing
matko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wonderwoman

How am I biased? I've lived in both countries. That makes me unbiased. I have every right to compare them.

I have also posted about things that are better in Korea, yet you choose to ignore those. Why?

You sound like a typical Korean who is overly sensitive to the slightest bit of criticism.

And guess what? I'm gonna keep on posting my opinions. Don't you think that newbies thinking about going to Japan or Korea deserve to have a perspective from someone who has lived in both countries?

Also, I seriously doubt someone would choose Japan over Korea because I think the J league is better or that Boa lacks talent Rolling Eyes
If you are offended by those things, you have sensitivity issues.

You don't like my opinion? Tough!

Post your opinion about Japan or Canada or whatever the hell you want to. If I disagree, I sure as hell won't cry about it like you Rolling Eyes

PS.
I am Croatian-Canadian. I have absolutely no ulterior motive in preferring Japan.

You are Korean. Who is biased????

PPS. if you you were so offended by the things I posted in other threads, why didn't you respond?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: