Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couples

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever1000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Couples Reply with quote

I'm applying for positions at private schools with my GF.

I've contacted several recruiters and they are all saying it's hard to place couples. Many have stopped replying after I decline one offer (i.e. poor reputation at franchise, bad location, bad hours, etc)

I'm wondering, in your experience (not what your "heard") whether I should keep trying for a couples position, or if we should apply to separate schools that are close by, then take one apartment, and one housing allowance?
I'm worried that we won't be able to find a place close enough to each other if we chose to apply individually.

Our preference is for any of: Daegu, Busan, Gwangju, Ulsan, Daejeon. etc.
Flexible on date, flexible on location.

We have lived together in small apartments before, so we are not worried about sharing the one apartment.

Any help is greatly appreciated. We have all our docs ready, just trying to find a job that "fits".
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never done it, but I have seen one couple hit hard when one of them left a school. The school took it out on the other one working there.

Why not get 2 schools close to each other, share one of the apartments, and then the other gets housing allowance?
stever1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:
I have never done it, but I have seen one couple hit hard when one of them left a school. The school took it out on the other one working there.

Why not get 2 schools close to each other, share one of the apartments, and then the other gets housing allowance?

I think that's what we may try, there seems to be less and less couples positions
Triple007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Saykimchi Recruiting. They work with couples, and if you guys make youtube introduction videos, you will be turning down jobs left and right.
Rchung1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: My hubby and I work at a fairly good job in Daejeon Reply with quote

Try Sky Jobs Recruiting~I have spoken with one of the recruiters for this other job, and the recruiter actually said they work for the current school my hubby and I are with, recruiting potential employees there. The school is called Maple Bear and it is a Montessori style school. It has hired quite a few couples, married and dating. It has a good reputation for paying fairly and on-time. We make about 2.3 million a month. We may be signing on for another year, but are also looking elsewhere. Only drawback is that it's a hagwon that does not really do it's curriculum out of a book. There is a bit more work that you have to prepare as a teacher for, but both my husband and I had never done teaching before and we managed it just fine. It takes some getting used to, but like you said, it is hard to find couples positions so you may not want to be too picky if you know what I mean. Its up to you and your girlfriend's personality and willingness to put in a bit of extra work. We really have had a good time and the staff are friendly. Look up Sky Jobs Recruiting on facebook and see if they can let you know about the Maple Bear school in Daejeon. There are also Maple Bear schools in other areas of Korea such as Seoul. Hope this helps some!

Kayla
stever1000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: My hubby and I work at a fairly good job in Daejeon Reply with quote

Rchung1 wrote:
Try Sky Jobs Recruiting~I have spoken with one of the recruiters for this other job, and the recruiter actually said they work for the current school my hubby and I are with, recruiting potential employees there. The school is called Maple Bear and it is a Montessori style school. It has hired quite a few couples, married and dating. It has a good reputation for paying fairly and on-time. We make about 2.3 million a month. We may be signing on for another year, but are also looking elsewhere. Only drawback is that it's a hagwon that does not really do it's curriculum out of a book. There is a bit more work that you have to prepare as a teacher for, but both my husband and I had never done teaching before and we managed it just fine. It takes some getting used to, but like you said, it is hard to find couples positions so you may not want to be too picky if you know what I mean. Its up to you and your girlfriend's personality and willingness to put in a bit of extra work. We really have had a good time and the staff are friendly. Look up Sky Jobs Recruiting on facebook and see if they can let you know about the Maple Bear school in Daejeon. There are also Maple Bear schools in other areas of Korea such as Seoul. Hope this helps some!

Kayla

Thanks for the feedback, we will apply to Sky Jobs Recruiting this morning Smile
Rchung1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha that's funny that you mention that cuz we actually work at the Maple Bear in daejeon right now. the downside to the one we're working at is that it is so new. in the two years of its life, management has switched around about 3 times. things keep getting better, then worse at our school. We're really uncertain about its stability and we are looking for other avenues that can give us more security. We do like Maple Bear as a school and we've been toying with the idea of transferring to a different location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: