Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is beef so expensive here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atwood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpeau wrote:
atwood wrote:
Harpeau wrote:
[quote="atwoodThe Australian beef sold in Costco is advertised as grain fed.

Actually, much of the AUS frozen beef is grass fed. Ask them.

So the stickers on all the packages of meat saying grain fed are false advertising? What's the point?

I'm talking about the FROZEN beef in the Freezer. They are not marked grain fed.
BTW, why do Koreans have such a hard on for grain fed beef?!! It's horrible for the human body!! Cows eat grass!![/quote]
Grain fed beef tastes better. Even big believers in grass-fed beef usually feed the cows grain right before it's time to slaughter them.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Harpeau wrote:
atwood wrote:
Harpeau wrote:

So the stickers on all the packages of meat saying grain fed are false advertising? What's the point?

I'm talking about the FROZEN beef in the Freezer. They are not marked grain fed.
BTW, why do Koreans have such a hard on for grain fed beef?!! It's horrible for the human body!! Cows eat grass!!

Grain fed beef tastes better. Even big believers in grass-fed beef usually feed the cows grain right before it's time to slaughter them.[/quote]
US WELLNESS MEATS, among others do not feed their cows any grains. Grass-fed beef is much healthier for people. Whereas grain-fed beef may have an effect on people with celiac disease, gluten insensitivity, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpeau wrote:
atwood wrote:
Harpeau wrote:
atwood wrote:
Harpeau wrote:

BTW, why do Koreans have such a hard on for grain fed beef?!! It's horrible for the human body!! Cows eat grass!!

Grain fed beef tastes better. Even big believers in grass-fed beef usually feed the cows grain right before it's time to slaughter them.

US WELLNESS MEATS, among others do not feed their cows any grains. Grass-fed beef is much healthier for people. Whereas grain-fed beef may have an effect on people with celiac disease, gluten insensitivity, etc.[/quote]
I didn't say it was healthier, just that most find it tastes better.

Am I supposed to accept U.S. Wellness Meats, whoever they are, and their promotional material, as authoritative on the subject?
mdsb87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who pays 3,000 to 4,000w for 100g of mince beef needs their head checked. That's what the Hanwoo costs sometimes in my E Mart. If I am making something that needs mince meat I buy about 70% pork mince (900w per 100g) and 30% Australian mince. Tastes great in chilli or spaghetti bolongese.
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:

I can believe it's due to the smell. That's why many Americans don't like it. My grandmother ate lamb chops on a regular basis but my mother never cooked them due to the smell.

Many Americans don't like the smell of lamb? I find that very hard to believe.

Hanwoo is good stuff. And so is marbling in meat.
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny when Koreans complain about the smell of alternate foods.

K "cuisine" must be some of the most pungent and rancid stinking on the face of the Earth.

I've been in restaurants in the ROK where I've actually been *praying* for someone to shit their pants.
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
atwood wrote:

I can believe it's due to the smell. That's why many Americans don't like it. My grandmother ate lamb chops on a regular basis but my mother never cooked them due to the smell.

What information did you "find" that makes it "very hard to believe"?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of anyone back home complaining about the smell of lamb.
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Never heard of anyone back home complaining about the smell of lamb.

Do you come from a long line of lamb eaters? Most of your friends "back home," wherever that may be, ate lamb on a regular basis? Without covering it in mint sauce to disguise the taste and smell or in curry sauce?

Can we change Captain Corea to Chef?

And how about mutton, which may be the way many older Americans were introduced, with little success, to lamb?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, can't say that I came from a long line of lamb eaters - whatever that means. I can say that I've never heard any of my friends or family complain about it. In fact, a lot of my coworkers would head to donair places for lunch on a regular basis and have lamb.

But you can try to insult me all ya want - I'm simply giving a different perspective on the subject.
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Nah, can't say that I came from a long line of lamb eaters - whatever that means. I can say that I've never heard any of my friends or family complain about it. In fact, a lot of my coworkers would head to donair places for lunch on a regular basis and have lamb.

But you can try to insult me all ya want - I'm simply giving a different perspective on the subject.

I'm not insulting you, I'm questioning your "different perspective." Eating at a donair in Halifax is a lot different than going to the supermarket, buying lamb and cooking it at home in the U.S.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not from Halifax... and even if I was, so what? I've cooked lamb at home, I've eaten it in sit down restaurants, and I've eaten it at fast food places. I've eaten it with friends and coworkers.

And not once did someone complain about the smell.

You can call me 'chef' if you like (personal dig)... though I'm not claiming to be. You can say that I'm from Halifax... but I have no idea why you'd claim such a thing.(another personal dig)

I'm just saying I've never heard of anyone complaining about the smell of lamb around me. Why is that so hard for you to stomach? And why are you so insistent on making this personal?
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I'm not from Halifax... and even if I was, so what? I've cooked lamb at home, I've eaten it in sit down restaurants, and I've eaten it at fast food places. I've eaten it with friends and coworkers.

And not once did someone complain about the smell.

You can call me 'chef' if you like (personal dig)... though I'm not claiming to be. You can say that I'm from Halifax... but I have no idea why you'd claim such a thing.(another personal dig)

I'm just saying I've never heard of anyone complaining about the smell of lamb around me. Why is that so hard for you to stomach? And why are you so insistent on making this personal?

Donairs originated in Halifax. Nothing personal there.

At least you've now offered some actual experience instead of "never heard of." There's a big difference.

I'm still curious what part of what country you;re talking about. My comment and experience pertain to the U.S.
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Privateer wrote:
atwood wrote:

What information did you "find" that makes it "very hard to believe"?

I find you rather trying, chap.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Carolla wrote:
JustinC wrote:
EZE wrote:
JustinC wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
Hanwoo tastes like crap. The chicken here is good, though.

I don't eat beef, is Han-woo the name of the cow? The pork here is good, though.

The chicken isn't bad either; it isn't artificially pumped up like back home. Never seen lamb being sold here, for shame.

/threadjack

There are shops near the mosque that sell lamb.

I've not seen or heard any mosques in Korea. I'm a bit curious as to why only Muslims in Korea would eat lamb, surely a bit of fatty lamb would go nicely with some kimchi, wrapped in lettuce? Not that I've tried it, or any lamb in K-Land.

I've been told Koreans don't like the smell. It's kind of a BS excuse not to eat lamb, I think it's more like the reason many Americans don't eat lamb, they simply haven't been exposed to it. I grilled up some lamb chops for my Korean in-laws from the shops in Itaewon. Long story short, they swallowed those lamb chops like they contained the antidote.

I read somewhere that Koreans used to eat lamb before beef became popular. Wouldn't surprise me if it were true since Muslims have been traveling to Korea for close to a thousand years and cows were used as beasts of burden.

Oh, and the hanwoo of today is a hybrid. Those tiny little cows Korean farmers traditionally kept didn't produce a lot of meat, so in the 70s they started crossing them with larger European breeds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: