Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Racially-based academic goals approved in Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Racially-based academic goals approved in Florida Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
Apparently, if you're Black or Hispanic, you're just not as smart as Asians or Whites (according to Florida).

According to nature. The fact is Asians like KRs and HKers have the world's highest avg IQs, whites in the middle, blacks lower, Philippines very low. People can be offended by this all they want, but it exists none the less.

People have evolved differently over millions of years to survive in different environments; racial differences in fact exist. The USA's "bla bla no racial differences exist yadda yadda" is not true.

Go ahead and go crazy now about what I said (yawn).

Don't you know that a percentage point or two more on an IQ test is insignificant and that it has more to do with sociological factors than intelligence?
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Racially-based academic goals approved in Florida Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
Apparently, if you're Black or Hispanic, you're just not as smart as Asians or Whites (according to Florida).

According to nature. The fact is Asians like KRs and HKers have the world's highest avg IQs, whites in the middle, blacks lower, Philippines very low. People can be offended by this all they want, but it exists none the less.

People have evolved differently over millions of years to survive in different environments; racial differences in fact exist. The USA's "bla bla no racial differences exist yadda yadda" is not true.

Don't you know that a percentage point or two more on an IQ test is insignificant and that it has more to do with sociological factors than intelligence?

one iq point doesn't make a difference? wrong.

http://agonists.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/one-iq-point-can-make-a-huge-difference/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

a percentange point or two? on this list south korea is EIGHT points above the usa. that is NOT insignificant.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/international-students/468951-average-iq-country.html

single points are important, especially when you are considering that many countries are around the 100 iq point mark. 1 iq point is 1% of their overall intelligence, which would more or less equate that the typical american is 6-7% less intelligent than a typical korean.

no matter how you argue it, kimchininja is correct. feel free to do your own survey to fight the facts, but i'd dare say you'd be very disappointed with your own results.

EDIT: oh, and your nature vs. nurture arguement? the variance tends to be around 0-1 iq point based on the general scientific community. good try with that arguement though. it could probably convince some of the readers with lower iq's though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Racially-based academic goals approved in Florida Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

one iq point doesn't make a difference? wrong.

http://agonists.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/one-iq-point-can-make-a-huge-difference/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

a percentange point or two? on this list south korea is EIGHT points above the usa. that is NOT insignificant.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/international-students/468951-average-iq-country.html

single points are important, especially when you are considering that many countries are around the 100 iq point mark. 1 iq point is 1% of their overall intelligence, which would more or less equate that the typical american is 6-7% less intelligent than a typical korean.

no matter how you argue it, kimchininja is correct. feel free to do your own survey to fight the facts, but i'd dare say you'd be very disappointed with your own results.

EDIT: oh, and your nature vs. nurture arguement? the variance tends to be around 0-1 iq point based on the general scientific community. good try with that arguement though. it could probably convince some of the readers with lower iq's though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ

1) I'm not American so you're trolling the wrong guy.
2) You're ignoring my comment about sociological factors (e.g. How many in South Korea are taking IQ tests in a language which isn't their first language? Remember, South Korea is not the multicultural society that the US is).
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Racially-based academic goals approved in Florida Reply with quote

kabrams wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

This is pretty dumb. But I'm sure you already knew that.

It's a point of fact.

Asians are generally more intelligent than whites. Whites are generally more intelligent than Hispanics. Hispanics are generally more intelligent than Africans. Africans are generally more intelligent than Australian Aborigines.

Liberal Creationism:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/features/2007/created_equal/liberalcreationism.html

http://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/article/2159/the-dark-enlightenment-part-4b
Quote:
To call the belief in substantial human equality a superstition is to insult superstition. It might be unwarranted to believe in leprechauns, but at least the person who holds to such a belief isn�t watching them not exist, for every waking hour of the day. Human inequality, in contrast, and in all of its abundant multiplicity, is constantly on display, as people exhibit their variations in gender, ethnicity, physical attractiveness, size and shape, strength, health, agility, charm, humor, wit, industriousness, and sociability, among countless other features, traits, abilities, and aspects of their personality, some immediately and conspicuously, some only slowly, over time. To absorb even the slightest fraction of all this and to conclude, in the only way possible, that it is either nothing at all, or a �social construct� and index of oppression, is sheer Gnostic delirium: a commitment beyond all evidence to the existence of a true and good world veiled by appearances. People are not equal, they do not develop equally, their goals and achievements are not equal, and nothing can make them equal. Substantial equality has no relation to reality, except as its systematic negation. Violence on a genocidal scale is required to even approximate to a practical egalitarian program, and if anything less ambitious is attempted, people get around it (some more competently than others).
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffles the mind that people who are supposedly educated would feel pride in the fact that the average person of their ethnic or racial group scores better on IQ tests. Face it, something's wrong if you've got any university degree and you're of average intellect.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Baffles the mind that people who are supposedly educated would feel pride in the fact that the average person of their ethnic or racial group scores better on IQ tests. Face it, something's wrong if you've got any university degree and you're of average intellect.

A university degree isn't a measure of anything. "Educated" is a meaningless word.

Nobody has expressed pride.

Stay on topic.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

A university degree isn't a measure of anything. "Educated" is a meaningless word.

Stay on topic.

It's quite simple. IQ test are biased in favor of people who have a certain set of skills, such as test taking...Studying at university should make one better at taking tests, wouldn't you agree?

As for whether anyone has expressed pride or not...Are you sure?
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Titus wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

Stay on topic.

It's quite simple. IQ test are biased towards people who have a certain set of skills, such as test taking...Studying at university should make one better at taking tests, wouldn't you agree?

You've not thought about or researched the topic of cognitive ability and personality traits and how they are measured. It's ok. You don't have to. But don't chime in on topics you don't know anything about.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
Titus wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

Stay on topic.

It's quite simple. IQ test are biased towards people who have a certain set of skills, such as test taking...Studying at university should make one better at taking tests, wouldn't you agree?

You've not thought about or researched the topic of cognitive ability and personality traits and how they are measured. It's ok. You don't have to. But don't chime in on topics you don't know anything about.

You're deflecting. I'll take your unwillingness to address my question as an admission that my point was well made.

PS. Never thought about or researched the topic of cognitive ability and personality traits? Right...So, which one are you, Terman or Binet?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Titus wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

Stay on topic.

It's quite simple. IQ test are biased in favor of people who have a certain set of skills, such as test taking...Studying at university should make one better at taking tests, wouldn't you agree?

Interesting premise - I wonder how the IQ rates correlate to University numbers.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
Titus wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

Stay on topic.

Interesting premise - I wonder how the IQ rates correlate to University numbers.

I'm sure it's been researched. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation, direct or indirect. Question is, what is the causative factor?

In any case, I remember reading that there's also a correlation between level of attainment and IQ (e.g. graduate school students and law school students having higher than average IQs).

As for Koreans doing relatively well on IQ tests, I'd imagine that education fever, and its concentration on test-taking, has an affect on the phenomenon.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

You wonder if there is a relationship between intellectual ability and university numbers? Are you serious?

Quote:
I'm sure it's been researched. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation, direct or indirect.

It has been extensively researched. It's been researched to death.

Quote:
Question is, what is the causative factor?

Sitting in sociology class does not increase intelligence. Not sitting in sociology class doesn't make you dumb.

Quote:
In any case, I remember reading that there's also a correlation between level of attainment and IQ (e.g. graduate school students and law school students having higher than average IQs).

Of course there is. Do you think someone with Downs can get into law school? Scale that up.

Quote:
As for Koreans doing relatively well on IQ tests, I'd imagine that education fever, and its concentration on test-taking, has an affect on the phenomenon.

This is where I stop. *Some* measures of cognitive ability are paper and pencil. Others aren't. Look into it. There are many different measures of ability: Spatial reasoning, verbal acuity, conscientiousness (future time orientation), impulse control. A wide variety of analysis exists to measure the different types of ability. It's not just multiple choice learning. Psychometrics is very advanced and even more interesting.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching someone concentrating so much time and effort trolling, and failing miserably at it, is very entertaining.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Racially-based academic goals approved in Florida Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

1) I'm not American so you're trolling the wrong guy.
2) You're ignoring my comment about sociological factors (e.g. How many in South Korea are taking IQ tests in a language which isn't their first language? Remember, South Korea is not the multicultural society that the US is).

1) i AM american, and i'm not trolling. just giving an example.
2) i'm not ignoring any of your comments. sociological factors do matter of course, but doesn't change the facts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: