Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rewards program with Korean Air?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Rewards program with Korean Air? Reply with quote

I've just taken a job in Gangnam but my fiance is down in Pohang. I'll be traveling there quite a bit over the next year. It's only slightly more expensive to fly than to take the KTX, which lets out at Gyeongju, only 25 minutes from Pohang, and I'd like to know if Korean Air has any sort of frequent flyer program for regular travelers, wherein I might get free or discounted tickets after X amount of trips, etc.

Anyone know?

-S-
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rewards program with Korean Air? Reply with quote

AbbeFaria wrote:
I've just taken a job in Gangnam but my fiance is down in Pohang. I'll be traveling there quite a bit over the next year. It's only slightly more expensive to fly than to take the KTX, which lets out at Gyeongju, only 25 minutes from Pohang, and I'd like to know if Korean Air has any sort of frequent flyer program for regular travelers, wherein I might get free or discounted tickets after X amount of trips, etc.

Anyone know?

-S-

Yes, skypass.
http://www.koreanair.com/local/kr/ld/eng/sp/sm/sp.jsp

You have to use internet explorer when you use the website.

Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoul(Gimpo) - Pohang one-way: 188 miles, costs between 69k~85k Won (incl. TAX)

Minimum required accumulated mileage for a free low-season return ticket on a domestic route in Korea: 10000 miles

Conclusion: only after making return flights to/from Pohang 27 times, you will be eligible for a return trip to Pohang.

The figures above are per Korean Air mileage regulation itself, not by some lousy distance calculator on Google Maps.
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake_Kim wrote:
Seoul(Gimpo) - Pohang one-way: 188 miles, costs between 69k~85k Won (incl. TAX)

Minimum required accumulated mileage for a free low-season return ticket on a domestic route in Korea: 10000 miles

Conclusion: only after making return flights to/from Pohang 27 times, you will be eligible for a return trip to Pohang.

The figures above are per Korean Air mileage regulation itself, not by some lousy distance calculator on Google Maps.

Nothing to get excited about there. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the info.
swigs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adds up if you fly international with Korean Air or one of their international partners, I just checked, and I have about 46,000 sky miles, although I imagine I'll wait till 80,000 to redeem, which could take a while.

Anyone know if there is an expiration?
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korean air miles last a long time. 10 years now if i'm not mistaken. however, besides their mileage validity period, their program is the worst in the business, bar none. if you are going to be traveling often it'd be a good idea to use a delta air account via the skyteam alliance until you hit enough miles to get business class lounge access because you never will hit that number realistically on korean air unless you are literally flying every single week at least twice.

and as any frequent traveler will tell you, it's all about the lounge access. free food and booze and use of business class check-in and priority boarding, all of which is unavailable on korean air until a ridiculous level of miles.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For domestic tix (freebees) you count flight segments and not miles.

OR, if you have a bunch of miles you can use your miles to buy your freebee tickets.

Skypass (skyteam) is no different than miles systems offered by any other major airlines (star alliance members for example).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: