Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
So, with that rep range... is that generally close to failure?

Almost, but not completely. I do super sets of paired exercises, with the goal of keeping the heart rate up.

What I tend to do is just keep lifting the same weight until I can do all three sets to 12 reps each, then add extra weight and start building up from 8 reps again. Seems to work for me.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for example, you do
bench then flys then push up - 12 reps each? As one set?

That'd get the heart pumping.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
So, for example, you do
bench then flys then push up - 12 reps each? As one set?

That'd get the heart pumping.

Usually something like military press + close grip barbell press, 12 reps each.

Rest 45 seconds.

Repeat two more times.

Or

dumbell squats + incline flyes

etc.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: how much sugars post workout?

I've found if I don't get 35-40g of sugar post workout I feel drained and unfocused for hours. Thus I've been listening to the body and sipping a Pocari Sweat during workout and then grapes or apple afterwards.

But wondering is 35-40g normal? My iPhone nutrition planner says it puts me high for the day at 70g, but then that app doesn't know I just squatted a bus at the gym!!! Not a candy/sweets guy, the rest of the sugar in the day is coming as a side effect of other foods like soy beans, soon doo boo, etc.

Last edited by KimchiNinja on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jyang486

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you must have your sugars from a drink post workout, drink chocolate milk rather than the pocari sweat. Decent carb to protein ratio, something like 5 grams of carbs per gram of protein, and makes for a solid post workout drink.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything works for me, but prefer fruit, fresh or dried, it's all good. Just wondering if that seems like too many grams of sugar or if that is normal after an 1 of lifting.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post workout is usually a 1/2 cup of oats, 1 cup of berries, and 2 scoops of protein - with water.

Can't do milk anymore - at least not in Korea.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight setback - I herniated a disk 9 years back (thus the big gap in my training), and have been cautious since getting back in the gym. HOWEVER, my body has been feeling great, and my chiropractor has said my spine is adjusting well... so I pushed it on dead lifts last week.

fudge

It ruined me for 5+ days. My muscles could handle it... but that disk could not. ALL the pain and symptoms were back.

On the plus side, it meant my whole body got to rest for a week. lol

Today was the second day back... and trained Back. Stayed the frak away from anything close to my lower back though... so let's see what tomorrow morning brings.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this kid do some terrible form deadlifts today. Feet touching, back hunched over, knees locked. The trainers just walked by, felt bad
silkhighway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
If you must have your sugars from a drink post workout, drink chocolate milk rather than the pocari sweat. Decent carb to protein ratio, something like 5 grams of carbs per gram of protein, and makes for a solid post workout drink.

Yeah, although I'd be careful with this if you're concerned about your sugar or calories intake. Studies have shown performance athletes benefit from drinking chocolate milk as a recovery drink after a hard workout, and the dairy industry has of course exploited this in their marketing. However, we're talking athletes at the top of their game finishing a marathon, and so it doesn't mean regular people receive the same benefits as performance athletes.

You can certainly do worse than chocolate milk though.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Slight setback - I herniated a disk 9 years back (thus the big gap in my training), and have been cautious since getting back in the gym. HOWEVER, my body has been feeling great, and my chiropractor has said my spine is adjusting well... so I pushed it on dead lifts last week.

fudge

It ruined me for 5+ days. My muscles could handle it... but that disk could not. ALL the pain and symptoms were back.

A great time to go drinking, pick up chicks, and put those muscles to good use! Man I wish I had a rest week.

Almost done with the first two weeks of my new gym routine. Serious workouts, brutal. I often feel the urge to quit half way thru, energy drops, but power thru the full hour.

Afterwards it feels great. Inside I'm like the hulk, but outside, due to the fat layer, the hulkness is still invisible. That said, the new muscle is already starting to poke thru a little, my body adapts pretty fast.

What do you guys think about branch-chain-amino-acids? Right now I'm clean diet, lots of protein, 1g x2 vitamin C, 1 multivitamin, rice protein powder. Everything seems good except the energy half way thru the workout...hopefully that will improve as the body gets used to the new drill.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really had an energy issue in the gym... but for extra pump I've started taking [url=http://kr.bodybuilding.com/store/gn/superpump-max.htmlSuperPump Max[/url]. That, or Animal Pump.

I find both give me a major kick in the gym... plus, the pump is always a great thing to enjoy.

As for the rest - yeah, it was nice. Good to do, even if it wasn't for the best of reasons.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: double post
Jyang486

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

fudge

Today was the second day back... and trained Back. Stayed the frak away from anything close to my lower back though... so let's see what tomorrow morning brings.

I couldn't imagine hurting my back like that. I get enough back soreness from back workouts/bad sleeping posture. If I added a back injury from lifting, it'd be unbearable. Hope you feel better man.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, man. Yeah, when it's bad, it's debilitating. No the sort of thing like "pooh... my back is tender, best be keeping off of it", but more like "WTF!#@! How'd I end up on the floor. Fudge, I can't move. I can blink. Ok, that's good. Try to move - WTF - nope, best to just stay here for a bit".

A very different type of pain. lol

It's been 8 days though, and I trained back yesterday. Lower back is still.. on edge, but the workout was fine (and careful).

Wide grip pullups X3
Med grip pull ups X3
Close grip pullups X3
Tripod Kroc rows X4
Oblique pulldowns X4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 15 of 51

Jump to: