Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

please help with my co teachers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: please help with my co teachers. Reply with quote

I've been teaching at a public school for the last two months. I have one co teacher that basically treats me as her white monkey. I don't do any teaching and I'm only responsible for games. When I give ideas about games or activities to do, so always says stuff like:" Actually we did that with the previous teacher", or "Too boring, the students should walk around the classroom" or just simply "No."
I have been trying to avoid the "walking around the classroom activities", as it turns into chaos with students running around and shouting in Korean. When I try to discipline them, she does nothing to support me, but actually gives the whole class rewards when the bell rings and me the cold shoulder.
When I do an activity that goes well and that the students like, she would take over my activity or tell me between classes that she will do my activity because they don't "concentrate" when I'm doing it with them.

So last week I decided to talk to this co teacher about my situation that she always says no to my ideas, but give no positive criticism. I told her that instead of simply saying no, that we should work together to find activities that she would be happy with. She then gave me 2 ideas, but told me not to use them as she is always using it.

So today she completely ignored me. She even changed my PPT that explains the game we were going to play without telling me, and I was left standing in front of class like an idiot

My other co teacher and head teacher( whom I get along with really well)were also giving me the cold shoulder and a hard time today, so I guess the gossip had spread through the whole school by now.

Can anyone please give me some advice on how to handle this. In my 4 years in Korea this is the worst situation I've ever been in.
Sorry for being so negative.
Thanks.
I need another glass of wine...
Francis-Pax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: please help with my co teachers. Reply with quote

mr wrote:
I've been teaching at a public school for the last two months. I have one co teacher that basically treats me as her white monkey. I don't do any teaching and I'm only responsible for games. When I give ideas about games or activities to do, so always says stuff like:" Actually we did that with the previous teacher", or "Too boring, the students should walk around the classroom" or just simply "No."
I have been trying to avoid the "walking around the classroom activities", as it turns into chaos with students running around and shouting in Korean. When I try to discipline them, she does nothing to support me, but actually gives the whole class rewards when the bell rings and me the cold shoulder.
When I do an activity that goes well and that the students like, she would take over my activity or tell me between classes that she will do my activity because they don't "concentrate" when I'm doing it with them.

So last week I decided to talk to this co teacher about my situation that she always says no to my ideas, but give no positive criticism. I told her that instead of simply saying no, that we should work together to find activities that she would be happy with. She then gave me 2 ideas, but told me not to use them as she is always using it.

So today she completely ignored me. She even changed my PPT that explains the game we were going to play without telling me, and I was left standing in front of class like an idiot

My other co teacher and head teacher( whom I get along with really well)were also giving me the cold shoulder and a hard time today, so I guess the gossip had spread through the whole school by now.

Can anyone please give me some advice on how to handle this. In my 4 years in Korea this is the worst situation I've ever been in.
Sorry for being so negative.
Thanks.
I need another glass of wine...

1. Keep running documentation of everything
2. Talk to the supervisor about the issue
3. Keep your cool
4. Calmly meet with your co-teacher to explain that you have noticed a change. It was not your intention to criticise, but you just wanted to communicate honestly about how the classes are going. Talk about how you can move forward together.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that things will get better. I have taught at three public elementary schools in Korea. I have come across this type of co-teacher before. This teacher does not respect you, and it is unlikely that she will develop respect for you. However, we can always hope and try.
Malislamusrex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Either do nothing and fall in line.

2. Tell her, you listen here.... we are doing this, end of story.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that you are at an elementary and not in a cosmopolitan city such as Seoul or Busan.

Their homeroom teacher is responsible for the education of students, not you. Homeroom teachers have demands upon them unbeknownst to you. The choices they make is to meet that demand. If the students say that english classes are boring, then the funding might be withdrawn and you will be out of contract.

1. Don't worry if kids are not learning english. It might hurt your pride, but you are not responsible for their learning. If they want to learn, they will come to you. Don't go after them and try to teach them. Most of the kids are not interested in learning, period. They are children and children want to be children.
2. You are not responsible for discipline. Do not hector them or scold them or tell them there are better ways.
3. If this means that you are reduced to a teacher's assistant, a human tape-recorder, a blow-up doll, well that's life. You are getting paid good money for that. If you want to teach, you go to a hagwon.

So, what damage-control can you do now? Go to english classes, stand or sit there and have something to do like fiddling with your i-phone or something, if co-teacher asks you to do something then do it. Other than that, leave teaching to K-teacher. 12 months go... just like that.
newb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
I assume that you are at an elementary and not in a cosmopolitan city such as Seoul or Busan.

Their homeroom teacher is responsible for the education of students, not you. Homeroom teachers have demands upon them unbeknownst to you. The choices they make is to meet that demand. If the students say that english classes are boring, then the funding might be withdrawn and you will be out of contract.

1. Don't worry if kids are not learning english. It might hurt your pride, but you are not responsible for their learning. If they want to learn, they will come to you. Don't go after them and try to teach them. Most of the kids are not interested in learning, period. They are children and children want to be children.
2. You are not responsible for discipline. Do not hector them or scold them or tell them there are better ways.
3. If this means that you are reduced to a teacher's assistant, a human tape-recorder, a blow-up doll, well that's life. You are getting paid good money for that. If you want to teach, you go to a hagwon.

So, what damage-control can you do now? Go to english classes, stand or sit there and have something to do like fiddling with your i-phone or something, if co-teacher asks you to do something then do it. Other than that, leave teaching to K-teacher. 12 months go... just like that.

Sad but so true.... Crying or Very sad
Dodge7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if some stupid K-co teacher touched my PPT slides without telling me, I'd look her squarely in the face and tell her to NEVER touch my teaching material and or things ever again. Period. Who does she think she is?
And you are kind of a softy for not telling her this. WHAT are you afraid of?
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you will find this useful: http://www.priceless-teaching-strategies.com/non_verbal_communication.html
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why GEPIK, SMOE and all the other government school programs failed- because the K-teachers sabotaged them out of jealousy.

The fact is you are viewed as a temporary, unqualified invader into their workplace.

I had similar problems. What helped was:

1. Not losing my temper, but finding constructive ways to express things directly to my coworkers.
2. Meeting every morning for 15 minutes with my coworker to make a plan for the day.
3. Agreeing on separate areas of responsibility.
mr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. My school is actually in Seoul. I've started running documentation on everything, and will have a meeting with my supervisor if things don't change within the next week. I haven't discussed my situation yet, as I don't want to rock the boat only 2 months into my contract. As for my co teacher, she is still ignoring me and only speaks to herself in Korean...
Anyway, thanks again for the tips.
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many classes a week do you teach with her?
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the prior teacher? Did they finish the contract? Fight with the CT?

I'd suggest you divide the class time. 20 min you, 20 min her.

If things don't get better in the next 4 weeks, start looking for another job. You don't want to be there, it will get worse, and life's too short.
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try more wine, less whining. Razz

Actually your co-teacher sounds like she's not a very nice person. Likely she's been bad-mouthing you to your colleagues, so you need to take some action fast. Keep on keeping the diary and arrange for a meeting next week with your head teacher. So far she's had two months of free ****ing on the noob, no reason to give her any longer.
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have only 29 days left, why not ask your boss if it's possible for you to be assigned a new co-teacher? When your boss asks why, just explain that your co-teacher doesn't have the adequate interpersonal skills or an adequate level of professionalism to make it work. Explain that the kids are losing out on proper English instruction because of your co-teacher's childish behavior.
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are done dude... This particular CT ruined you (since the cool CTs won't talk with you anymore)...

I'd suggest taking them out to dinner, but leave the nasty CT out. "Forget" to invite her heh heh heh Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: