Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sungkyunkwan University
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Spike



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Sungkyunkwan University Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about working here?

The position they are hiring for is a Non-Tenure Track English Professor in its Language Institute.

It's the Language institute part that sort of scares me here.

The ad looks somewhat promising, but I'm afraid that it's basically going to be a unigwon deal and that winter and summer vacation times will be limited.

Any info regarding this place would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dannyboy



Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Location: S. Korea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The language institute teaches credit courses and some optional non-credit courses. Try to talk with someone who works there. Recently, there have been problems with university administration, people not being paid for work, and changes in pay and schedules that have upset a lot of the foreign staff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisPK



Joined: 07 Aug 2014

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dannyboy wrote:
The language institute teaches credit courses and some optional non-credit courses. Try to talk with someone who works there. Recently, there have been problems with university administration, people not being paid for work, and changes in pay and schedules that have upset a lot of the foreign staff.


When did this happen? What exactly happened? Can someone provide more info?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Coltronator



Joined: 04 Dec 2013

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is surprising. Isn't Sunkyunkwan the undisputed 4th best school in the country(Ignore KAIST & Pohang because they are too specialized). Basically a SKY without actually being a SKY. (Think how Stanford is an IVY without being an actual IVY) I wouldn't think you'd run into trouble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisPK



Joined: 07 Aug 2014

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltronator wrote:
Wow that is surprising. Isn't Sunkyunkwan the undisputed 4th best school in the country(Ignore KAIST & Pohang because they are too specialized). Basically a SKY without actually being a SKY. (Think how Stanford is an IVY without being an actual IVY) I wouldn't think you'd run into trouble.


What a dumb response is this as we all know that SNU Korea's top university pays shite to its foreign English teachers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Coltronator



Joined: 04 Dec 2013

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read my post? I didn't mention pay. What do you think I am surprised about? Low pay that is standard or the late pay which isn't standard?

I'll await your reply.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisPK



Joined: 07 Aug 2014

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltronator wrote:
Did you read my post? I didn't mention pay. What do you think I am surprised about? Low pay that is standard or the late pay which isn't standard?

I'll await your reply.


SNU is also known for treating its foreign teachers like shite. And it sounds ridiculous to compare SKKU to Stanford. All Korean universities whether they are SKY or not are "Kimchi" universities, if you know what I mean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Coltronator



Joined: 04 Dec 2013

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again you got the comparison wrong. Notice how it was a comparison about how they are unofficially part of a group. Not a comparison about quality. I hope you don't teach Toefl or IELTS or teach any advanced students who hope to seriously use English. The reason is that being able to understand the correct comparison made in writing and listening is very important. If you can't discern a comparison how will you be able to teach inference and identifying implied information?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisPK



Joined: 07 Aug 2014

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltronator wrote:
Again you got the comparison wrong. Notice how it was a comparison about how they are unofficially part of a group. Not a comparison about quality. I hope you don't teach Toefl or IELTS or teach any advanced students who hope to seriously use English. The reason is that being able to understand the correct comparison made in writing and listening is very important. If you can't discern a comparison how will you be able to teach inference and identifying implied information?


Basically you compared SKY to IVY as if they are in the same league, didn't you? It's the same thing, innit? You teach kids at a Hogwon, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Coltronator



Joined: 04 Dec 2013

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read again, I compared Stanford's relationship to the Ivies like Sunkyunkwan's relationship to the SKY. I in no way compared SKY to IVY other than the fact that they happen to be short forms for what are considered some of the best Universities in their respective countries. If you would like to argue that Sunkyunkwan is not the 4th best University in Korea okay or if you want to argue that Stanford is not in many ways like an IVY (An extremely hard argument, but possible because it is a somewhat subjective matter) then okay.

However, while I am well aware of terrible treatment that the big Universities often put their Non-Tenure track through (especially if termed as the connected language institute or other contrived situation) late payments has never commonly been one of those terrible issues I associate with them. So, I was intrigued about the situation there and was hoping to get more information because it probably has a good story behind it. In fact maybe someone here has further first hand knowledge and could provide specifics to help the OP make their decision.

Better?

P.S. no not now F6er, though I used to of course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roman Holiday



Joined: 22 Sep 2014

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fuzzy_Dunlop



Joined: 18 Jun 2014

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisPK wrote:
Basically you compared SKY to IVY as if they are in the same league, didn't you? It's the same thing, innit? You teach kids at a Hogwon, right?


At no point did he try to equate, or otherwise compare, ivy league schools to SKY schools. He created an analogy.

Stanford:ivy league schools::SKKU:SKY schools. Get it?


ChrisPK wrote:
What a dumb response is this as we all know that SNU Korea's top university pays shite to its foreign English teachers?


I tried to draw a parse tree of this statement...or question...who the hell knows, really...and it came out looking like a tree that might be growing at Chernobyl.

Are you asking us something? Telling us? There's a question mark, but it follows something stated as a fact...so maybe it's...Oh man, my head hurts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisPK



Joined: 07 Aug 2014

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote:
ChrisPK wrote:
Basically you compared SKY to IVY as if they are in the same league, didn't you? It's the same thing, innit? You teach kids at a Hogwon, right?


At no point did he try to equate, or otherwise compare, ivy league schools to SKY schools. He created an analogy.

Stanford:ivy league schools::SKKU:SKY schools. Get it?

ChrisPK wrote:
What a dumb response is this as we all know that SNU Korea's top university pays shite to its foreign English teachers?


I tried to draw a parse tree of this statement...or question...who the hell knows, really...and it came out looking like a tree that might be growing at Chernobyl.

Are you asking us something? Telling us? There's a question mark, but it follows something stated as a fact...so maybe it's...Oh man, my head hurts.


Analogy is a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

Analogy is a comparison based on similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.

You say that was analogy, but it was not an comparison. Don't see what a contradictory statement that is? Please go back to teaching kids at your Kindergarten.

This is why there should be a separate forum for university teachers. The SNU topic has been discussed multiple times in uni job threads. So if you don't get it, just stay away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
T-dot



Joined: 16 May 2004
Location: bundang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisPK wrote:
Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote:
ChrisPK wrote:
Basically you compared SKY to IVY as if they are in the same league, didn't you? It's the same thing, innit? You teach kids at a Hogwon, right?


At no point did he try to equate, or otherwise compare, ivy league schools to SKY schools. He created an analogy.

Stanford:ivy league schools::SKKU:SKY schools. Get it?

ChrisPK wrote:
What a dumb response is this as we all know that SNU Korea's top university pays shite to its foreign English teachers?


I tried to draw a parse tree of this statement...or question...who the hell knows, really...and it came out looking like a tree that might be growing at Chernobyl.

Are you asking us something? Telling us? There's a question mark, but it follows something stated as a fact...so maybe it's...Oh man, my head hurts.


Analogy is a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

Analogy is a comparison based on similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.

You say that was analogy, but it was not an comparison. Don't see what a contradictory statement that is? Please go back to teaching kids at your Kindergarten.

This is why there should be a separate forum for university teachers. The SNU topic has been discussed multiple times in uni job threads. So if you don't get it, just stay away.


He isnt comparing the schools themselves, just comparing the situations that they are in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisPK



Joined: 07 Aug 2014

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-dot wrote:
ChrisPK wrote:
Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote:
ChrisPK wrote:
Basically you compared SKY to IVY as if they are in the same league, didn't you? It's the same thing, innit? You teach kids at a Hogwon, right?


At no point did he try to equate, or otherwise compare, ivy league schools to SKY schools. He created an analogy.

Stanford:ivy league schools::SKKU:SKY schools. Get it?

ChrisPK wrote:
What a dumb response is this as we all know that SNU Korea's top university pays shite to its foreign English teachers?


I tried to draw a parse tree of this statement...or question...who the hell knows, really...and it came out looking like a tree that might be growing at Chernobyl.

Are you asking us something? Telling us? There's a question mark, but it follows something stated as a fact...so maybe it's...Oh man, my head hurts.


Analogy is a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

Analogy is a comparison based on similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.

You say that was analogy, but it was not an comparison. Don't see what a contradictory statement that is? Please go back to teaching kids at your Kindergarten.

This is why there should be a separate forum for university teachers. The SNU topic has been discussed multiple times in uni job threads. So if you don't get it, just stay away.


He isnt comparing the schools themselves, just comparing the situations that they are in.


Yeah he wasn't doing anything. He was just shitting his pants. Now I get it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International