Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iksan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakobmckernan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Iksan Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I've just accepted a job in Iksan. I'm finding it difficult to find much information online. If any anybody lives there or has previously lived there could you tell me a bit about your experience? Nightlife, teaching population, stuff to do etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
loose_ends

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Iksan Reply with quote

Jakobmckernan wrote:
Hi everybody,

I've just accepted a job in Iksan. I'm finding it difficult to find much information online. If any anybody lives there or has previously lived there could you tell me a bit about your experience? Nightlife, teaching population, stuff to do etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's small so you won't find much info online.

I was there from 2003-2004. At the time there were like 50 or so FTs. They all hung out at the same bar Fridays and Saturdays.

In all honesty I hated Iksan. I moved to Seoul as soon as my contract ended.
SoylaMBPolymath

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you want...

I lived in Iksan last year and I loved it! I made so many good friends (mostly Korean, but a few foreigners). I refer to it as my 'Korean hometown'. I moved from my hagwon in Iksan to a public school in a town called Pyeongtaek. I depise it here. It's closer to Seoul and between two U.S. military bases, but I don't care for it. The Jeolla provinces are definitely more staid and considered 'bumpkin' by most foreigners and Koreans, but they were just fine to me.

Iksan doesn't have much of a nightlife, but you if you are willing to do more than just hang out at foreigner bars, you'll find something to do. Plus, if you really want to get to Seoul that badly the KTX will take you to Seoul in a flash. Also, Jeonju is nearby and while it's no Seoul, it's a nice size city with lots to do and see.

I should add that I am older than most of the FT's who come here, so I didn't find myself in need of diversion. I was always happy to relax at home with a bottle of wine and a movie on my notebook.

I loved Iksan. You probably could to, but it depends on what your expectations are...Good luck!

And if you do move there, visit a cool place called Cafe Dan in Yeongdeung-dong near the Dongsin Apartments. My friend owns that place! Sweet woman by the name of Okdan whose husband is a university professor. She's traveled quite a bit and has a heart of gold. Her spaghetti is bomb!
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with SoylaMBPolymath's assessment. I lived there my first year in Korea, split my second year between Busan and Daegu, but returned to Iksan for my final year(2010).

In addition to being a very livable city in its own right, it has the added bonus of being one of the smaller cities that actually has a KTX stop, which is huge, since it means Seoul is only about 2 hours away. And it does not take much longer if you want to head south to Yeosu or Busan.
Dog Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was down there for a soccer tournament a few weeks ago. The Iksan expats seemed nice, but the place itself was pretty small.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: