Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sam Ryan's going downhill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocky mountain tavern seems to get worse and worse too. decent food but probably the rudest wait staff i've seen in all of seoul.
is so delicious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now they've changed my three favorite orders. Ribeye steak no longer comes with a Caeser salad... it comes with a smaller garden salad (despite being more expensive). The strip steak no longer comes with the DELICIOUS gravy it used to come with... now they give you your choice of sauces, all of which are not even close to as good as what they had before (also more expensive).

Lastly, their pork chops, which were REALLY popular, at least among my friends, no longer come with the same delicious gravy. The gravy's changed, and it sucks. It's not even close.

So to recap: all their items are more expensive and not nearly as good. Even the changes they made irregardless of price were completely wrong. What are they thinking?!

I'm really going to miss pounding a good steak with good sides and watching American sports. Guess I'll try Sin Bin. Sigh.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is so delicious wrote:
Lastly, their pork chops, which were REALLY popular, at least among my friends, no longer come with the same delicious gravy. The gravy's changed, and it sucks. It's not even close.

There's some really good pork loin downstairs at Alley Pub, but no gravy, just lean pork + potatoes + sauerkraut. Gotta say, I found it was darn good for bar food, especially Itaewon bar food.
lemonde

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the one in Suwon for the first few months. Service and food was OK at the start, but slowly went down hill after that. I got tired of hearing the owner's drunk racist rants. As well, they changed their policy about wing night. They told me that I had to order a beer with every order, which made me laugh after I had spent about 50,000 won on 4 orders of wings and only 2 Guinness.
metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid this place. Went there for the first time last Sunday with a friend, after making us pay right after we ordered, it took OVER AN HOUR for our food to arrive. We weren't drinking so it just dragged even more. The food is mediocre and overpriced, but the ridiculous wait alone is enough that I will never be back there.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is so delicious wrote:
Now they've changed my three favorite orders. Ribeye steak no longer comes with a Caeser salad... it comes with a smaller garden salad (despite being more expensive). The strip steak no longer comes with the DELICIOUS gravy it used to come with... now they give you your choice of sauces, all of which are not even close to as good as what they had before (also more expensive).

So to recap: all their items are more expensive and not nearly as good. Even the changes they made irregardless of price were completely wrong. What are they thinking?!

I'm really going to miss pounding a good steak with good sides and watching American sports. Guess I'll try Sin Bin. Sigh.

my problems with the place exactly, their steaks were one of the high points of the place.

al really blew it on this one
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:
Avoid this place. Went there for the first time last Sunday with a friend, after making us pay right after we ordered, it took OVER AN HOUR for our food to arrive. We weren't drinking so it just dragged even more. The food is mediocre and overpriced, but the ridiculous wait alone is enough that I will never be back there.

first wtf doesnt this site have a multiple quote feature

second we had the exact same problem when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Excuse I got from Jakob the manager was a rude "we're busy" it wasnt that busy.
toby99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this place run by a waygook or a Korean? I would think a waygook would understand how to deliver decent service, but it seems every time people start moaning about a bar in Korea it's inevitably this place or 3 Alley downstairs (I know 3 Alley is waygook-run).

Geez, if a Korean adjumma can figure out how to please customers...
FMPJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby99 wrote:
I would think a waygook would understand how to deliver decent service

I know, right? Because every bar and restaurant in North America and the rest of the Anglophone world features decent service... Rolling Eyes
fosterman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FMPJ wrote:
toby99 wrote:

I know, right? Because every bar and restaurant in North America and the rest of the Anglophone world features decent service... Rolling Eyes

right, and actually you will find the foreign places here are the ones with the bad service! Korean places are FAST! you don't wait long in a korean place.
it's 8282 you know that. Koreans are not waiting 10 minutes before they start ringing the bell.
every foreign place I have been to, it's usually a lot slower, not all the time.
but some times..
this is due to the fact that all the Foreign owners who own these bars don't have industry experience. they have a bit of money, couple of friends go in on a place, and they learn as they go.
the only reason they are still in business is because there are not many places to choose from in behind hamilton or Itaewon.
RMT survives because Canadians are as patriotic as koreans.
3alley survives because it was the first bar back there and has a following, part of the dark and pool league etc. and sam ryans is another western bar of not so many, but in prime location.
these bars will continue to make money not because of the service, but because of the location. that's it. a monkey could work that bar and people would still go.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FMPJ wrote:
toby99 wrote:

LOL I was going to say this exact same thing.
toby99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
FMPJ wrote:
toby99 wrote:

all the Foreign owners who own these bars don't have industry experience. they have a bit of money, couple of friends go in on a place, and they learn as they go.

I may be wrong on this, but doesn't the guy running Sam Ryan's also run 3 Ally? Seems like he'd have some experience under his belt, but every time people complain about service it seems like those two keep coming up over and over again.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: What's specifically is wrong with 3 Alley Pub service?

It's a Western style pub, but when I come in they greet you, get you a beer fast, take your order for food if you want that, deliver the food promptly and it's tasty. No hassle or bad attitude. What else is to be expected of the staff? To me it's a boring place but not bad service.

Never been to the place upstairs.
Peace Train

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
a monkey could work that bar and people would still go.

Kidding me? I'd go ONLY for that reason.

A monkey serving beer?? I'd be there every night.
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just at Sam Ryan's a few Fridays ago. The place was crowded but the staff asked a couple of singles at the bar to move a place so that my friends and I could sit together.

Drinks came quickly and the food was pretty good.

And the place was packed to the rafters.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. Had a nice time there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: