Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the Korean perception - check out some of the opinions floating around here about ESL teachers. Hell, I had the gall to suggest foreign teachers at universities were capable of being on hiring committees and you should have read some of the hatred there for people who work at universities.

So as long as places like this perpetuate the a moaning culture and ultimately direct any halfway professional discussion towards (a) the uselessness of NETs, (b) the uselessness of Korean teachers, (c) the uselessness of Korean students, (d) the uselessness of Korean owners (d) basically how everything is all fucked us and woe-is-me, then there won't be any change in perception, because we don't seem all that interested in being teachers ourselves.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
For example: on this site today there was a guy who posted that he likes to fight adjumas on the subway for a seat [facepalm].

Facepalm yourself for having a poor sense of humor. Ridiculous.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To prove my point: the thread about the ranking of Korea's education system in the world could have provoked an interesting discussion about what that actually means, whether it is meaningful, and how we can best operate as NETs within it.

But no, it has done what all threads that contain anything critical or praiseworthy of Korea do, devolve into an echo chamber of "This is what's wrong with Korea"' and "This is why Korea is so great"' leaving the original point in the dust.

Surely (surely!!!) people must be sick of discussing the effect of the Korean War and the extent to which the Americans helped the recovery again and again and again and again. Korea did this, yes but Russia did this, but Korea had this, well, but Japan was this...blah blah fucking blah.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orosee wrote:

Most ET's come from a culture where being young means everything (and they're all young). And they act it out here as they did back home.

Korea is a country where being young means nothing. Conflict is programmed.

Your Korea reception at age 35+ will be vastly different from age 20-30.

Even in Western culture, at age 40+ you don't give a shit about the opinions or feelings of someone half your age. It gets more so as you age more.

Yup. So, some Korean kid hates foreigners? As if I care about his opinion.

You're totally right. People my age, including Koreans, have bigger and better things to worry about than whether kids straight out of university are immature or not. Heck, we know and accept many are, so we don't care.

Anyways, sharing this is an exercise in futility. If you search back far enough, you'll find threads just like this one dating back to the '90s.

Since the ESL profession in Korea is a revolving door, next year there will be newer discussions just like this one as a new batch of straight out of university kids arrive.
diver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Since the ESL profession in Korea is a revolving door, next year there will be newer discussions just like this one as a new batch of straight out of university kids arrive.

At least everyone seems to have sorted out where to buy peanut butter, so we won't have to see that particular thread again. Smile
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddycakes wrote:
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
English teachers do have it better than average Koreans. They are jealous, and I don't blame them, I feel sorry for them. At least we can leave.

When you are gone that sneering local will still be here feeling angry at other foreigners while you're enjoying your life. So the fact that your are in his vicinity temporarily is irrelevant, he probably hates his life.

I've heard the Koreans are "resentful of us" argument often... it smacks of total delusion.

Maybe if you're dealing with your hogwan secretary who makes less than a million a month and who sees a bunch of whiny, self-entitled weirdos from the West make twice as much money as her for doing half the work, maybe she's resentful.

But for the average Korean on the street who owns his own Sum Gap Sal restaurant or cell phone shop or who works in a government office, I don't think so...

As I said (and this was not Korea bashing), except for a few odd balls, most Koreans could care less about ESL teachers, or any foreigners for that matter.

You're off the radar.

This is not your country. You can't vote. You have no political power. You have no economic power.

You are nothing more than transient labor here.

The Koreans have no reason to care about you, unless you start committing serious crimes.

And if they do care, it's only to the extent that by Korean standards you come across as strange and oddly amusing.

Maybe that will change when the hippie/slob aesthetic catches on here someday...

Wow the hate is strong in you, no wonder these threads go down hill. Seriously most english teachers are just normal decent people not "whiny, self-entitled weirdos". There is something deeper behind hate of this sort.

Oh and you do realize that in almost every society business owners, high paid professionals and the like are not the majority of people.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
Paddycakes wrote:
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
English teachers do have it better than average Koreans. They are jealous, and I don't blame them, I feel sorry for them. At least we can leave.

When you are gone that sneering local will still be here feeling angry at other foreigners while you're enjoying your life. So the fact that your are in his vicinity temporarily is irrelevant, he probably hates his life.

I've heard the Koreans are "resentful of us" argument often... it smacks of total delusion.

Maybe if you're dealing with your hogwan secretary who makes less than a million a month and who sees a bunch of whiny, self-entitled weirdos from the West make twice as much money as her for doing half the work, maybe she's resentful.

But for the average Korean on the street who owns his own Sum Gap Sal restaurant or cell phone shop or who works in a government office, I don't think so...

As I said (and this was not Korea bashing), except for a few odd balls, most Koreans could care less about ESL teachers, or any foreigners for that matter.

You're off the radar.

This is not your country. You can't vote. You have no political power. You have no economic power.

You are nothing more than transient labor here.

The Koreans have no reason to care about you, unless you start committing serious crimes.

And if they do care, it's only to the extent that by Korean standards you come across as strange and oddly amusing.

Maybe that will change when the hippie/slob aesthetic catches on here someday...

There is something deeper behind hate of this sort.

I thought the same thing.

Last edited by No_hite_pls on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
For example: on this site today there was a guy who posted that he likes to fight adjumas on the subway for a seat [facepalm].

LOL. Okay but with the way you guys generally behave how is one to know when you are being serious or not? Ridiculous!
Markrly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Markrly on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markrly wrote:
Paddycakes wrote:
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:

You think a business owner or government office worker is considered the average Korean on the street...?

Yes.

In Seoul at least. Nobody is "jealous of the English teachers" LOL. I thought drugs were hard to come by here but you guys must have scored. Wink
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:

LOL. Okay but with the way you guys generally behave how is one to know when you are being serious or not? Ridiculous!

You guys? You're a white dude, too.

This forum is absurd.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:

This forum is absurd.

Yes, but I don't think I'm one of "you guys". Wink

You got that right! LOL
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:

Wow the hate is strong in you, no wonder these threads go down hill. Seriously most english teachers are just normal decent people not "whiny, self-entitled weirdos". There is something deeper behind hate of this sort.

Oh and you do realize that in almost every society business owners, high paid professionals and the like are not the majority of people.

I don't hate anyone... and why would I hate foreigners? I am one.

I just simply poked the veil of self-delusion that a lot of English teachers live in.

Koreans are resentful of you? Gimme a break...

In Korea, you're nothing.

Here you're about as socially significant as the Korean who goes back to the US to study English for a year...

He's nothing in the US.... just as you're nothing here.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but it's reality.

Once you accept reality and stopping fighting it, you'll find yourself much happier in Korea.

Not being a part of society is almost liberating in a way...
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:

This forum is absurd.

Yes, but I don't think I'm one of "you guys". Wink

You got that right! LOL

Yeah, neither do many people here. You can't write for crap, your opinions are whack, you come off as an idiot, and you're probably really a little gyopo guy in real life. But, hey, do your thing buddy.
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diver wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

At least everyone seems to have sorted out where to buy peanut butter, so we won't have to see that particular thread again. Smile

HA! Coffee just came out of my nose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: