Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Chilgok" in Daegu...any good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyshine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live there now. I would prefer any other part of Daegu. It's not awful, but I am surrounded by nothing but ajoshis and ajummas.

I spend a lot of time on the bus. A taxi to downtown is 10-12. I live in the southern part of Chilgok. Not much to say really. Overall, it's better than living in a small town, but there is better.
kleenx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the northern edge of Chilgok, probably closer to Gumi than Daegu.

I've been looking for some foreigners to show me around a little or hang out...but haven't had much luck in this area lol

As such, anyone need a new friend? lol...
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Korea since Nov. 2007 and lived in Chilgok from March 2010 to March 2012.

From my experience:

South Korea is 98% the same, 1% is RELATIVELY better and 1% is RELATIVELY worse, Chilgok puts you in the 98%.

No disrespect nor humor intended.

Good luck.
Tyshine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meant to send a pm... my bad
roguefishfood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in chilgok right now and I am very happy here. I can walk to work, I can walk to everything I need, I can get downtown if needbe but I typically don't really need to go there. I find things to do near me instead and I don't have too much difficulty with that.

If you need to be in super foreigner central getting wasted at the club every night, you won't like it here, but if you live a more laid back lifestyle it's perfectly nice.

Many Korean teachers in Seo-bu (a large chunk of Daegu) go on about how they want to work in Chilgok.

(For people who google chilgok in the future and come across this thread.)
Leiter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any restaurants or bars in Chilgok? I mean just simple Korean bars/restaurants. I'm not talking about nightclubs obviously because I know Chilgok wouldn't have these.
Tyshine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leiter wrote:
Are there any restaurants or bars in Chilgok? I mean just simple Korean bars/restaurants. I'm not talking about nightclubs obviously because I know Chilgok wouldn't have these.

Chilgok has over 100,000 people (I think), and two small universities. There are many restaurants and bars.
sluggo832004

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i said, if you are a single guy, stay out of Chilgok.

If you are married and want to live with old people, and mountains, then you will probably like it.

But its quite a ways from downtown, and the subway isnt built yet so you gotta take a taxi or bus. Its not the worst place but it damn sure isnt the best either.

Daegu it self isnt the best place to live, but to live on the outskirts of Daegu is worst. But if you really need a job, it isnt bad for the first 6 - 8 months. But anything after that I suggest you leave.
Leiter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyshine wrote:
Leiter wrote:

Chilgok has over 100,000 people (I think), and two small universities. There are many restaurants and bars.

Thanks for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: