Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSY's rabid anti-American past
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know what Korea, heck, even Iraq, would be like without any American involvement.
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would be interesting to know what Korea, heck, even Iraq, would be like without any American involvement.

Slimmer!
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
I felt like this too once. When I was 14. The guy was 24 at the time. Still a young guy and obviously his stance has changed since then. Not that it really matters.

By the way, 코쟁이 is a racial slur referring to the relatively big noses of white people. 딸래미 애미 며느리 애비 코쟁이 모두 죽여 basically means, "Kill daughters, mothers, daughters in law, fathers, all big nosed white people." Racist Style!

From Racist Style, to Gangnam Style - wonder what the racist version of the horsey dance was (??)
newb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also shocked that his lyrics weren't censored by the government. Freedom of speech is fine only if you don't use those strong racial slurs.

You'd be looking for a new career if you said something similar about Koreans in America.
Taylormade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
By the way, 코쟁이 is a racial slur referring to the relatively big noses of white people. 딸래미 애미 며느리 애비 코쟁이 모두 죽여 basically means, "Kill daughters, mothers, daughters in law, fathers, all big nosed white people." Racist Style!

Yup. I was here back in the day when the demonstrations were going on. Signs on shop windows said "No Americans welcome. You re all guilty." A friend and I walked into a restaurant and they wouldn't serve us. I told them I wasn't American (I'm Canadian) but they didn't care. I was a "big nose". I was also assaulted by two random Koreans (whom I'd never met or spoken to, or even looked at) for talking to a Korean woman outside a hof. Two guys walked up pushed her aside, beat the crap out of me and ran off. Now I'm wondering if they were inspied by PSY's lyrics and the atmosphere he helped create.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno guys, what is the problem specifically with what Psy rapped about?

He's an artist and can rap about anything he wants to rap about.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:

Killing innocents simply because of their race and/or nationality.

Yeah, can't say that I'm a fan of that sort of thing.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:
everything-is-everything wrote:
When is Fox News going to pick up on this story?

Cause when it does I'm just going heat up the pop-corn, sit back and enjoy Laughing

But this will only be recognized by small-minded, ignorant people who don't look at the whole story....yes Fox will have a field day.

What whole story? Do you mean the one where the facts of the matter were relayed to the Korean public but that didn't matter a lick to the anti-American rabble-rousers?

Quote:
P.S. I don't care what kills PSY's run, as long as it kills it but good. This song is a musical cancer. Only thing worse is listening to this annoying song get butchered on an American teenage music drama.

Can't stand the song, can't stand the video. I'm with you on this. Please let it die and let it die quickly.
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
I dunno guys, what is the problem specifically with what Psy rapped about? He's an artist and can rap about anything he wants to rap about.
Yes, you are right. But he can't perform songs like that and expect the American public to embrace him. This is going to get out and when it does...game over in America.

I wonder if the likes of Rolling Stone magazine would be interested in this story, or one of the tabloids. Hmmm.

Last edited by Smithington on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Removed double post.}

Last edited by CentralCali on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this breaks it'll send his US song sales plummeting but his Middle East sales skyrocketing.

Either way the guy is about to deal with the "fun" part of celebrity- Outting, shaming, and public apology tour. Maybe he can book with David Patreus and rehabilitate each others' images.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not defending the lyrics or PSY at all or saying that people shouldn't be bothered by them. But if you were here around that time then it really shouldn't come as all that big of a shock. The anti-Western, and particularly anti-American, movement was huge at the time. I never had experiences like Taylormade but I was seriously creeped out when I was trying to go to Kyobo Bookstore and found myself walking smack through the middle of one of those candlelight vigils.

Anyway, point is that tensions were very high and if PSY wasn't involved in the singing then I doubt it would have been hard to find someone else.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:

Killing innocents simply because of their race and/or nationality.

Yeah, can't say that I'm a fan of that sort of thing.

Yeah, I'm not either. Wasn't he rapping in protest about Americans killing innocents?

Maybe I didn't read it correctly.
fosterman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will be no backlash! psy will come out and say sorry, he didn't mean, it was a marketing thing at the time, everyone was doing it to gain spirit from the fans., it was never my real intention, like Ice T doesn't really wish policeman dead, it was just a song to generate sales.
I love USA, hey come on... I studied there guys.. blar blar blar blar
please keep buying my music and let me into your country.

now you know.. if this was the other way around, and it was an American who was this over night sensation in KOREA. and then 4 months later this video surfaces where the AMerican guy said, F^#K Koreans, go and die you MOFO's bla rblar..
it would be over for that person faster than it happened!

but this being America, just like when the number one killer in American hisotry of killing innocent Americans was a Korean at a college, what did Americans do?
NOT BLAME KOREA! that's what they did
and I remember how shocked Koreans were for that, they expected USA to totally slam Korea for that.

but why?
ohh because that's what Korea would of done if an American student opened fire at Hongik and killed 22 innocent Koreans.
we would of never heard the end of it.

Last edited by fosterman on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
I dunno guys, what is the problem specifically with what Psy rapped about? He's an artist and can rap about anything he wants to rap about.
Yes, you are right. But he can't perform songs like that and expect the American public to embrace him.

Did he ever ask the American public to embrace him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21

Jump to: